[RESPONDED] Dead on arrival?

Today I received my new framework 13 gen DIY. I put it together carefully following the instructions, but when the time came to boot it up, nothing happened. Then, I noticed that no lights come up when I plug it in. I tried removing the RAM and the storage and putting them back. I tried power cycling by removing the connector with the battery. When I do this, the laptop blinks red, but it still wouldn’t show any light when I put back the input cover.

Now, I also noticed that the touchpad cable seems to be burned.

I opened a support ticket, but I wondered if anyone had similar experiences.

Googling seems to bring up some results (such as Reddit - Dive into anything)

Also, how fast should I expect support to come back to me? This is a laptop for work and I would have loved to be able to reach out to framwork in real-time (via phone or live chat).

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

See here

Unfortunately, Framework isn’t yet big enough to have the resources for phone or live chat real-time support.

Looking at your picture, I would keep the input cover disconnected, even if you do any more testing or attempts to get it to boot.

There should be a LED on the side that flashes when you try to boot. Do you see this?
The color and pattern of flashes is used for troubleshooting.

There should be a LED on the side that flashes when you try to boot. Do you see this?
The color and pattern of flashes is used for troubleshooting.

The LED does not blink or anything else. It stays off even when I plug in the power adapter or pressed the power button. I did verify that the power adapter works by checking with another device.

Since the power button is connected through the input cover, and there is a problem with the cable, it may just be that the Laptop is not getting the signal when you press the button.

Since the power button is connected through the input cover, and there is a problem with the cable, it may just be that the Laptop is not getting the signal when you press the button.

Shouldn’t the LED turn on when you plug the laptop in? (Regardless of the input cover)

I don’t know. And I don’t have a Framework laptop on hand to check.

If you are talking about the light on the side, I believe it does. But if something on the input cover is shorted out, it may be preventing things from powering up. If you are still wanting to try things yourself (before contacting support or while waiting to hear back from them), I’d probably try disconnecting the input cover and plugging in the charger to see what happens. I think you can even get to the power button on the mainboard with the input cover removed.

Note that the power button on the mainboard is tiny, you should be careful with it if you try it.

I managed to turn it on without the input cover using the small button on the mainboard. So, I guess the problem now is with the input cover being fried. I can see burnt marks on the battery, so something happened when I first powered on the computer. Hopefully, this is just a defective input cover.

I reported all of this to support.

This is the best path forward, glad to hear you opened a ticket.