[RESPONDED] Displaylink Hub External Monitors Not Detected After Ubuntu 22.04 Upgrade

Made the upgrade from Ubuntu 20.10 to 22.04. Ran into Wifi adapter issue but fixed that by upgrading the BIOS. Now only the USB hubs of my Displaylink hub works. Wondering if there’s an updated driver or some other configuration/troubleshooting steps. Any one run into this issue also?

Did you get the current driver from this site? Ubuntu Driver for Downloads Section | Synaptics

If not, please start there and note the release notes.

Yes. 5.6.1 is the version of this driver I updated to after updating to 22.04.

Anyone find a solution for this? I’ve tried connecting a display to two adapters (a Lenovo thunderbolt dock which I think uses DisplayLink), and a USB DisplayLink adapter that works on my other LinuxMint desktop. I’ve got the latest driver installed (5.8.0-33), and I’m running on a fresh install of Ubuntu (22.04.3 LTS).

I wanted to check my live logs and ran sudo dmesg -w, and saw a TON of errors with Loading of module with unavailable key is rejected.

I disconnected the module and reconnected it, got the errors Warning! Unlikely big volume range... and [7] FU [PCM Playback Volume]... in the screenshot.

Unplugging the adapter stopped the unavailable key errors.

Plugging my monitor into the Lenovo dock revealed these lovely errors, so it looks like the issues are unrelated…

Anyway, if anyone thinks of anything else to do to troubleshoot, let me know! Otherwise I’ll poke around and see what I can find.

Oh, I remember; I think my issue is tied with Secure Boot and signed keys; I didn’t follow the full process detailed by Synaptic. Trying again and will report back. https://support.displaylink.com/knowledgebase/articles/1181617-how-to-use-displaylink-ubuntu-driver-with-uefi-sec

I was able to resolve my issue by running the command sudo update-secureboot-policy --enroll-key, rebooting, and then following the MOK prompts to enroll the new system key. After that, I was good to go.

Also, in case the DisplayLink driver holds up the boot sequence (and causes other driver issues, which it’s done on my Mint machine), you may need to add a --no-block switch to the start_service block in the DisplayLink udev.sh load file. I’ve got more details here: https://www.maxwellhackswell.com/ (sorry ahead of time, I have a super slow host).

1 Like

Delighted to hear this! DisplayLink has historically, been hit and miss. Glad to hear you were able to find a solution.