[RESPONDED] Encrypted Debian boot not detected

hello :purple_heart:

I’ve recently acquired a FW 13 with the AMD motherboard, and i’ve been using Arch OK on it - however, I have another SSD with Debian 12 installed on it and that I encrypted using the installer and boot manager. I initialized it using another computer, and I would like to use it on this FW
The issue is that when I try to use a NVMe → USB convertor, or when I put it directly in the computer, it doesnt seem to be able to detect the boot partition, or even the grubx64.efi file - how can I make it so that the FW detects the bootable partition ?

ty in advance !

EFI parameters are stored in the BIOS (UEFI). Not on the disk. So if you prepare it on another computer, that one will have the correct EFI settings.
When I look at my current workstation (Still waiting for my FW16), it looks like this:

pandora:~$ efibootmgr 
BootCurrent: 0001
Timeout: 2 seconds
BootOrder: 0001,0000,0004,0003,0002,0005,0006,0007
Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager
Boot0001* neon
Boot0002* ubuntu
Boot0003  Hard Drive
Boot0004  Windows Boot Manager
Boot0005* UEFI:CD/DVD Drive
Boot0006* UEFI:Removable Device
Boot0007* UEFI:Network Device

You can see that the first boot device is KDE Neon.
So - what you need to do it add on your Framework the disk your efi/boot partition is located.
Lots of examples here: Use Linux efibootmgr Command to Manage UEFI Boot Menu - LinuxBabe

1 Like

ty for the answer - however, the tutorial says to “Boot into the Linux distro that doesn’t have UFEI boot entry” → However, like i said in the OG message, I wasn’t able to do that-
Should I use a Debian live key to modify the EFI parameters on that ?

Yes, but on the framework device! As you need to adapt the EFI entry of that device.
Could also be that the for shim for the installed key is not available. But that’s then another troubleshooting topic.

Welcome to the community!

Ideally, you want to use a NVMe directly, inside of the computer. USB is not going to be ultra reliable by comparison.

Now, you indicated that you did indeed insert it into the laptop itself and it is not being detected for a clean boot. I swap drives all the time with Ubuntu/Fedora, never had an issue. Even with LUKS encryption, this should not be a problem.

So I can only surmise something is unique/customized with your configuration, likely with the dual boot itself with Windows (which is often a cause of issues in my experience)