[RESPONDED] Ethernet expansion card hangs frequently

My framework ethernet expansion card is really flaky and unreliable. I’ve tried other USB-C NICs based on the same Realtek chipset and all of them seem to work fine. Did I get a dud?

What is your operating system and version?

This is on Windows 11 22H2. I’ve updated to the latest Realtek driver and it’s had no effect.

Generally the problem occurs when a large, fast transfer is initiated - general browsing usually is fine, but if I kick off a large download, local file transfer, or internet speed test it hangs.

Understood, I’m Linux support and I tagged this as Windows so folks that can help will see it.

Thanks. It seems to happen under linux too, I’ve tried it after booting into Ubuntu 22.04.

Ah, okay. That I can be of help with Are you seeing this behavior from a Live USB of Ubuntu as well? I realize installed Ubuntu is presenting this issue, just to cover all of our bases.

In a terminal, run this command:

journalctl -f

Do you see anything that looks like this:

usb 2-3: USB disconnect, device number 74 xhci_hcd 0000:00:0d.0: WARN Set TR Deq Ptr cmd failed due to incorrect slot or ep state. cdc_ncm 2-3:2.0 enx9cbf0d000e38: unregister ‘cdc_ncm’ usb-0000:00:0d.0-3, CDC NCM xhci_hcd 0000:00:0d.0: WARN Set TR Deq Ptr cmd failed due to incorrect slot or ep state.

If you do, does this error show itself with it plugged into another port as well?

It wasn’t under installed Linux, I’d booted from a Live USB to test the NIC. I don’t plan to do that again because it turns out the Ubuntu live stick alters some UEFI variables and caused Bitlocker to lock me out of my machine when I did that. I was just pointing out that the issue happened on both operating systems.

1 Like