[RESPONDED] Linux Windows Dual Boot

Hello Framework Community. I recently received my 7040 Ryzen Framework 13 DIY. I have it dual booting Windows 11 and Linux Mint from a partitioned NVME, but I am planning on changing it to boot Linux from the 1 TB expansion card. I have a few questions about this setup.

1. I am new to Windows 11. Only took it for a spin, but highly dislike it compared to Windows 10. Framework highly recommends Windows 11 for this build. What are the reasons to head this advice?

2. I am recent to Linux and brand new to Linux Mint. Things are working as far as I can tell, though I have only briefly tested. Framework recommends Ubuntu LTS, but I have preferred the App Store/Flatpak experience and the UI on Zorin OS and I wanted to try out Mint because a lot of people prefer it and its updated more frequently. Anyone know of things not working in Mint on the new Ryzen Frameworks? Should I give Ubuntu another try?

3. Are there issues with waking if you are running linux from the expansion card SSD?

4. Should I remove the Windows M2 ssd before installing linux?

5. Which location to install bootloader?

1. Windows 10 doesn’t properly support the drivers, you’re on your own for any issues you may run into.
  2. No answer
  3. If incorrectly configured then you can have issues with USB auto-suspend
  4. Nope, your bootloader for linux will be installed on it and some linux distros will automatically correct the difference in time storage between windows and linux.
  5. As I said before, internal ssd
1 Like

Hi Hunter,
I’m on windows 10 with the exact same laptop ( I did DIY too!)
I have had zero issues using the same fixes they recommend for windows 11 and just doing the exact same install of using the fix for the windows 10 version. I think you should make the leap!

I also do some light gaming on it, and it works just like any other windows 10 laptop did.

1 Like

I can’t find an example of the partition scheme for correctly installing Ubuntu to the expansion card with the bootloader on the M2 internal SSD. In fact I can’t find a guide to installing an OS to the expansion card in general. When doing “Install Ubuntu alongside Windows Boot Manager” is selected, only my internal SSD is an option to select drive, so I need to do it through “Something Else” and choose/partition/format the drives from their. /dev/sda1 is my expansion card drive and Windows Boot Manager is on /dev/nvme0n1p1 efi. Any guidance or resources would be much appreciated.

We recommend that OS installations be done on internal SSD. And while booting from expansion SSD is doable, Half of the time we are seeing performance issues with these types of setup.

1 Like