[RESPONDED] Oreon Linux on Framework Devices

Hi, this is the founder of the Oreon Linux distro. Most people haven’t heard of Oreon, as it is quite new in the list of existing distros.

Oreon aims to bring long support lifecycles up to ten years. The current version, Oreon Lime R2 brings an eight year lifecycle. The distro is based on AlmaLinux. It ships with Nvidia and AMD graphics drivers out of the box, and also ships with a very user friendly desktop environment.

Now here are some reasons to choose Oreon

• Long term support
  • Ease of use
  • No need to manually install graphics drivers
  • Listens to user feedback
  • Helpful customer support
  • Strong security
  • Respects privacy - telemetry is a big NO
  • Great performance
  • Easy container setup
  • Snapd support

So to summarize, Oreon is a project I have been putting forth a lot of effort, and now that I daily drive it on both my desktop and my laptop, I think using Oreon on Framework devices shall be considered. The average download count for Oreon is 16 per day. I don’t feel like I have much else to do at the moment other than maintaining and advertising the project. I would not be surprised if Framework declines this offer, as I’ve gone through the same thing dozens of times, but I won’t give up as this project is very motivating to me. However, if framework considers my idea, it won’t only help me and the Oreon Linux Project, it will also help the Linux foundation and the environment around us.

Thank you for reading this,
Brandon Lester

1 Like

Framework laptops come with Intel and AMD GPUs. That’s usually not an issue.

Apart from that, if Framework wanted to ship Laptops preinstalled with Linux, which I don’t think they will, I don’t think their first choice would be a super new distro. They already support Fedora and Ubuntu, so that makes more sense. And I mean it’s cool if you promise 8 or 10 years of support, but I don’t see how you can prove that you or someone else will still be motivated to support your distro in 8-10 years.

1 Like

Hi @BoostyConnect ,

Welcome to the Framework community, small projects are always welcome.
you may also want to link you landing page, but best of luck.

Thank you, I appreciate your response. The landing page is https://boostyconnect.com/oreon

My distro directly relies on AlmaLinux for it’s updates.