[RESPONDED] Problems with Boot, Sleep, Shutdown, and USB connectivity

I’ve got a Intel 13th Gen Framework 13 dual booting Windows and Arch Linux. I’ve had the following issues on both OSs since yesterday:

1. When turning on my Framework, it takes about 2 minutes - on the first minute the fingerprint light is on but the screen backlight is off, but on the second minute the backlight is on. During this period the fans turn on, but not very audibly. Bluetooth then seems to not work after boot.
  2. When putting my Framework to sleep, the screen doesn’t actually close and the laptop stays warm to the touch.
  3. (ON LINUX) When trying to shut down or restart, the laptop spends about 90 seconds outputting dmesg messages that say
    usb usb3-portx: unable to enumerate USB device
    multiple times, as well as
    systemd-shutdown[1]: Waiting for process: xxx ((udev-worker)), xxx (systemd-udevd)
    systemd-udevd[xxx]: Worker [xxx] processing SEQNUM=4043 is taking a long time
    before the screen goes black.
  4. When trying to shut down or restart, the Framework’s fingerprint light will stay on but the screen backlight stays off. The device will not actually shut down or reboot, and a force shut down is needed.
  5. The Bluetooth Adapter cannot be detected.

When I removed all Framework Expansion Cards, issues 1-3 disappeared, but issue 4 remained. Having to remove Framework Expansion Cards isn’t a viable solution though.

I’ve done some experimentation and I’ve concluded the following:

1. Issues 1-3 only happen if there is either a) a non-USBC expansion card connected, or b) a charging cable is connected to a USBC expansion card. Since USBC expansion cards don’t draw power, I suppose this means there are issues when power is being drawn/given by expansion cards?
  2. The unable to enumerate USB device occur 6 times total. According to the timestamps, there is a 16.45 second delay between the messages, give or take 5ms. I don’t know what significance 16.45 seconds have.
  3. Issue 4 is still a head-scratcher.

Any ideas?

Update:

Issue 3 for some reason has disappeared. Instead, my mouse (connected through USB-A), monitor (connected through HDMI), and controller (connected through USB-C) now no longer work.

Here is lsusb output:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

I definitely remember having more output from lsusb.

Any help? Really does feel like my Framework is falling apart now.

First and foremost, we do not test against Arch.

For the sake of troubleshooting to see if this is hardware vs software, I’d test this against a Fedora 39 Live USB. If you are seeing the same issues there, then you’d want to open a ticket. Isolate this first.

Once you have done this, confirmed this is something with Arch (and it may be) as we have kernels that are not tested, we can go from there.

I’ll try to get a Fedora Live USB working, but in the meantime I’d like to note that I experienced the same issues on my Windows 11 install as well (or the issue is with POSTing).

Also, I suspect that Live USBs will straight up not show up on UEFI, given that wired connectivity on my Framework seems to be broken now.

Today, all the issues I had disappeared then reappeared again twice - as of now the issues are ongoing.

When I tried to plug in a USB flash drive, it was not detected when having boot/sleep/shutdown issues, but was detected when said issues disappeared. I was able to flash Fedora, but currently I am unable to actually use the Live USB because it simply does not appear in BIOS.

Edit: Also noticed that my Framework’s camera is not detected, both on Arch Linux and on Windows.

@Kyan_Cheung The fact that you’re seeing these issues on both Linux and Windows indicates this needs to go into a ticket. Please open a ticket and make sure you link to this thread as it has important details. The support team will have you run through some troubleshooting steps from there.