[RESPONDED] RHEL and the Framework Laptop

Fractional scaling is terrible, at least in my experience. 200% is too much, and 100% is too little. But I have found that using Large Text in Gnome has been a real sweet spot.

I see. I don’t like both 200% and 100% too. I am using 120% on sway on Framework Laptop. Is the 120% or 150% still problematic for you?

A lot of this is factually incorrect. If you want a good read and detailed explanation of why Almalinux and Rocklinux were never Enterprise Distros, and by extension why Centos was not as well, this article should do it In favor of CentOS Stream. If I told you about a great new… | by Gordon Messmer | Medium . In particular pay attention to semantic versioning.

In short both made claims that a customer without the experience or understanding, would assume they were getting the same kind of support from them that they would from Redhat, which is provably wrong since their product was incapable of the fundamental capability that RHEL provides to an Enterprise customer, which is simply to lock the entire installation on any version you choose and get the full life support cycle receivng security backports on everything. Centos, Almalinux, and Rockylinux cannot and never could do that. You get the latest and need to move to the latest, which in some instances will break your production environment. We will see if any of them actually put in the work to become Enterprise Distros…so far it looks like they are continuing to sell the dream without actually delivering it.

Also RHEL is not closed source, and while you have a high opinion of Debian my experiences with Debian and its derivatives has been less than stellar for a number of reasons, particularly over the long term.

2 Likes

Nothing to add here outside if you would like ticketed OS support, you will want to be on Fedora.

1 Like

Didn’t experience anything odd with RHEL on the FL13 11th (around 12-14 months ago), but I didn’t use it (the laptop) extensively for various reasons. (ThinkPads and Precisions are still my go-to for RHEL)

Really hope FLs will be RHEL certified.

1 Like

I second that.

This article is informative to know a trend of the desktop environment.

I Work for Red Hat - we don’t encourage RHEL on Workstations or Laptop; in fact we use Fedora for our Linux Corporate base.

We don’t certify or validate RHEL against enthusiast/consumer hardware ; if you want stable base for a Laptop I would recommend silverblue - you can use the Universal Base Image ( Which is Free as in Beer and Speech) in a toolbox container for userspace things to still have RHEL

1 Like

Some of us have other requirements for which Fedora does not cut it. i.e. FIPS140-2, Stigs, and actual validation. RHEL hits all of those requirements…on purpose. I do however use Fedora on my Framework since it does not have these requirements.

Indeed; but certifications are product specific, so whilst the OSCAP policy for fedora are there and usable outside of RHEL - certification of the same sec policy is product and version specific in most cases.