Ubuntu 22.04 on the Framework Laptop 13

Overhaul of the 22.04 guide.

1 Like

After significant fussing about I found that running apt install backport-iwlwifi-dkms got me a WiFi device that I could use. I’m not sure how that relates to the NetworkManager power saving stuff in the guide.

Something is definitely odd if you need that. Under very select circumstances, like what you experienced, it can help. And I’ll add it to the Ubuntu knowledge base troubleshooting article, I’ll do that next week.

Speaking exclusively for myself, I have never, ever run into a position where it was needed. I know others who have. I’ve been fortunate I suspect. :slight_smile:

What kinds of things might cause my issues, in your experience? I would hazard a guess it’s not the KDE bits of Kubuntu 22.04.

Hi, some feedback on the installation guide above. All good besides this line:

(echo "[connection]\nwifi.powersave = 2" | sudo tee /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf)

It broke NetworkManager. Removing it fixed the problem, but does this mean I can’t enable wifi powersaving?

Yeah about fell over yesterday when I found this. Formatting…ooof, fixed :slight_smile:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt-get install linux-oem-22.04 && echo "options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf && gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features "['scale-monitor-framebuffer']" && sudo sed -i 's/^GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT.*/GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash module_blacklist=hid_sensor_hub nvme.noacpi=1"/g' /etc/default/grub && sudo update-grub && echo "[connection] 
wifi.powersave = 2" | sudo tee /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf

Ah ok so it was just ‘wifi.powersave’ misspelled as ‘nwifi.powersave’? Sorry my linux knowledge is still only basic, but I don’t understand why you want to change this settings to ‘2’ to disable powersave, which is already on by default?

If it’s marked as 2 on your system, then it must have been set this way previously. On a vanilla 22.04 install, it is set to 3.

Hopefully that makes sense. :slight_smile:

Here is the guide specific to wifi troubleshooting, for the future.

These two files being modified in the official guide are owned by two dpkg packages:

~$ sudo dpkg -S /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf 
network-manager: /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf
~$ sudo dpkg -S /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf 
alsa-base: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
~$ 

That means upon package update or system upgrade the user will be given a potentially scary message (for novices) that some config files have been modified, where it provides a a choice to install the package version, keep theirs, diff the files, etc. That stops the installation/update process without user input. Unless they merge the changes during this step, they’re at risk of either losing the workarounds or missing changes introduced from the new package versions.

@Matt_Hartley if you are involved in writing/editing the official guide, you might want to use the alternative - creating new files in the respective dirs with different names, not overlapping with the package provided ones.

4 Likes

I’ll take a look Monday. I’ve never had any issues as described. However, I’ll look into it. These are approaches used for sometime now, never, ever have I seen warnings or users reported warnings (outside of formatting when pasted).

I will look closer Monday, but as of right now, they’ll remain because they work and have survived countless updates.

Appreciate the heads up to investigate.

I still don’t understand why you’ve included this command to disable wifi powersaving in the installation guide. In the Wi-Fi Troubleshooting Guide, of course, but surely if you get new users to disable wifi powersaving as part of their Ubuntu installation they’re just needlessly losing out on some power saving, unless you think the wifi powersaving mode is not beneficial?

@Rising_Exurb I can tell you there are some issues around it that it throttles wifi-speeds to insanely low numbers, causing wifi-cards to not wake up correctly from sleep and alike.

Because Framework needs to ship something that works rather than being power-efficient it makes sense to do this by default.

1 Like

@Anachron interesting, thanks. I’ve never had issues with whatever wifi card comes with my i7-1280P but your explanation makes sense.

Happy to clarify - be cause the sheer number of times a clean installation has issues with wifi power savings. It’s fairly a well know Intel issue. Therefore, I opt to avoid the countless threads of folks who (and have) had issues with this. I want this bypassed out of the box. In the future, once I feel confident that this issue is resolved with Intel wifi, I will adjust accordingly.

Other Linux OEM vendors suggest the same because it is needed when using Intel wifi. Hopefully that explains why a little better.

1 Like

@Matt_Hartley you can reproduce it by modifying alsa-base.conf, then running:

sudo apt install --reinstall -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confask" alsa-base

The prompt which appears during upgrade looks like this:

Preparing to unpack .../alsa-base_1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu7_all.deb ...
Unpacking alsa-base (1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu7) over (1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu7) ...
Setting up alsa-base (1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu7) ...

Configuration file '/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf'
 ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
     Version in package is the same as at last installation.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** alsa-base.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? Y
Installing new version of config file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf ...

Often it appears during release upgrade which makes it especially stressful. :smiley:
The package manager is trying to reconcile the changes between the new config file version that came with the new package and the changes the user did so that they’re not lost on upgrade.

1 Like

I’ll take a gander at this tomorrow. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A couple of questions in regard to Kubuntu 22.04 12th gen Framework:

1. How can I get my GPU load to show in the system monitor? I have lm-sensors set up and I tried installing intel-gpu-tools, but to no avail, the list of sensors for the GPU category remains empty.

2. I am experiencing problems with permanent throttling after leaving the lid closed. Is this something linux related, or is this managed by the firmware?

We don’t test against KDE, however, I have heard this super not official script may help: GitHub - lestofante/ksysguard-gpu: add gpu visualization for ksysguard

Is your 12th Gen BIOS up to date by chance? Are you using the recommended kernel provided in the Ubuntu 22.04 guide?

@Matt_Hartley Thanks for your response. I’m sorry that I couldn’t respond earlier.

Unfortunately ksysguard has been deprecated in KDE Plasma. The script does not work for me. I’ll admit that its replacement looks very much alike in the graphical sense, but it is different. Thanks for the link though. I’ll try to find out if the System Monitor equivalent exists.

As for the UEFI/BIOS, no stable updates are listed for the 12th gen. AFAIK, the kernel is up to date. The first install command on the page you linked to resulted in no new software being installed.