[RESPONDED] WiFi Disconnects, Ubuntu 22.04, OEM Kernel, wpa_supplicant error

Device: Framework 13 11th Gen i5-1135G7
Distro: Ubuntu 22.04.3
Kernel: 6.1.0-1021-oem
Firmware: 3.17

Hi Community,
Every so often (maybe every hour or so?) my wifi disconnects, and asks me to resubmit my password, or just stays disconnected.

When looking at logs I see the following:

3:20:07 PM wpa_supplicant: WPA: No PMK set for PTK derivation
 3:17:46 PM kernel: iwlwifi 0000:aa:00.0: Unhandled alg: 0x703
 3:17:46 PM kernel: iwlwifi 0000:aa:00.0: Unhandled alg: 0x703
 3:17:17 PM kernel: iwlwifi 0000:aa:00.0: Unhandled alg: 0x703
 3:00:02 PM systemd: Failed to start Service for snap application firmware-updater.firmware-notifier.
 1:55:45 PM wpa_supplicant: WPA: No PMK set for PTK derivation
12:45:11 PM kernel: iwlwifi 0000:aa:00.0: Unhandled alg: 0x703
12:00:09 PM bluetoothd: profiles/input/hog-lib.c:report_map_read_cb() Report Map read failed: Request attribute has encountered an unlikely error
12:00:07 PM systemd: Failed to start Service for snap application firmware-updater.firmware-notifier.
11:04:09 AM kernel: cros_ec_lpcs cros_ec_lpcs.0: packet too long (65402 bytes, expected 248)
10:48:02 AM gdm-session-wor: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
10:47:59 AM systemd: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
10:47:57 AM gdm-session-wor: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
10:47:48 AM gnome-session-b: GLib-GIO-CRITICAL: g_bus_get_sync: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
10:47:47 AM canonical-livep: Task "refresh" returned an error: livepatch check failed: POST request to "https://livepatch.canonical.com/v1/client/68bc786425f54bf3a64289e64bc2eb76/updates" failed, retrying in 30s.
10:47:47 AM bluetoothd: src/device.c:set_wake_allowed_complete() Set device flags return status: Invalid Parameters
10:47:47 AM kernel: ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.IETM._OSC due to previous error (AE_NOT_FOUND) (20220331/psparse-529)
10:47:47 AM thermald: Unsupported conditions are present
10:47:46 AM kernel: cros-usbpd-charger cros-usbpd-charger.2.auto: Unexpected number of charge port count

The disconnect happens exactly when that “wpa-supplicant” error hits. Tried searching for this but I don’t get any real results helping me with a solution. Thanks for your time!

Few things happening in that log that give me pause.

• Looks like you followed the guide we provide, which is helpful. Did you add any VPN software or other applications with network kill switches?

• Any changes made to any of the network related or WPA related conf files?

• Which wireless card are you using?

In my experience stuff like this happens with one of the following:

• Mis-configured wpa_supplicant file: not by default, but user changes.

• Buggy router firmware: Phones and other electronics may be fine connecting, but, some devices struggle to stay connected. Customer firmware or out dated routers usually contribute.

• Interference or Low Signal: This can be an area where there is too many WAPs all overlapping each other or, the internal wifi card itself is simply not getting a great connection. Sometimes it’s a pinched antenna or even a bad wifi card.

What I would do to test:

• Framework 13 laptop sitting right next to the WAP, no father than a few feet. Play a two or three hour long YouTube video to really keep the card working. Do this with the installed Ubuntu instance. If it drops, next step.

• Framework 13 laptop sitting right next to the WAP, no father than a few feet. Play a two or three hour long YouTube video to really keep the card working. Do this with a Live USB of Fedora 38. Reason is the default Ubuntu LTS kernel isn’t supported and we want to make sure you’re using something known to be stable out of the box. If it drops here as well, next step.

• Open a support ticket and link to this thread.

While not directly related per se, you will also want to get onto the latest firmware for your 11th gen. You may wish to wait for the UEFI update which is totally fine and should be out in the very near future.