Review of hardware durability and repair (1.5 years)

Jesus, thanks for stress testing the thing I guess.

5 Likes

HI 1165 2y 1m

Hardly dropped or banged around. It only travels for two days a month in a backpack with padding.

At home I use the provided cable in a permanent placed power source (12V) and for the last year have a braided cable for travelling.

Use 4 to 5 hours day, 6 hours the first year.

Work with soil, wash hand,s do not use finger nails to open. Open from designed bevel at front.

No problems yet so this post is a bit off topic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I should probably make a blog post about this, it really is a case study. Anyway, the amusing thing is that I’m not really being harsh with it…I’m just not especially dainty either. Here are some photos to compare of other laptops that I’ve used for 2+ years.

2014 Macbook Air

• Keyboard - As you can see the paint is worn straight off the mac keyboard after 2-3 years, but the Framework keyboard is completely wrecked after 6-9 months. I do think that the Framework keyboard was a one-off bad paint job though.

• Screen - The Air top cover is much more solid, but still had small keyboard marks which are tough to see. The spacebar did make a mark that is visible but not easily noticeable. The Framework lid on earlier batches was…bendy to say the least and the screen was definitely marked up.

• The microphone quit working also which was a common problem with that model.

• The left usb port is bent and unusable.

Thinkpad X230

The only damage the X230 sustained during its use is that the Thinkpad Logo somehow fell off the keyboard rest. I have an external thinkpad keyboard that is also immaculate. The thinkpad lids have no give to them at all, so the screen has zero marks.

Framework part durability

The keycaps on the replacement keyboard haven’t developed any issues yet.

The top cover got reinforced a year later, etc. so it definitely needed an upgrade.

But let’s be honest, Framework 13 is certainly is not a tank like the X230.

It is very easily and cheaply repairable though and much nicer hardware.

Never had an issue with Thinkpad charging cables either…nor magsafe cables. When I’m out in very rural areas in villages, there are definitely no desks or sometimes even chairs. So you either work cross-legged or lying down. The framework cable simply could not sustain literally adjusting my position like 3-4 times / day which hardly even twisted the cable. However, it was 40 degrees with no AC for about two months, so I’m very happy at how the laptop fared.

So other than the drops and getting a padded bag, I’m really not sure how to be gentler.

I mean, do you wrap the laptop in a blanket and kiss it good night? :laughing: :heart_eyes:

So in my opinion:

• Durability: Thinkpad > Air > Framework
  • Repairability: Framework > Thinkpad > Air

And even if the parts wear out a bit fast than the Thinkpad, I’d rather have the Framework because of the nicer screen, faster cpu, and better battery life.

It has survived 3-years of 10+ hour daily use, has spent 500+ days away from home, been dropped 15+ times, and operated in 40 C weather with no AC for weeks at a time.

So if it works for me, it will definitely be fine for everyone else.

6 Likes

We may have somewhat different definitions to what harsh means in this context but I do know a few powple with similar definitons XD.

On that part the frameworks has a major upside, replaceable ports that take the abuse so the mainboard doesn’t.

The x230 truly was a tank, I do wish the framework was that form factor with modern performance but the market just wants thin and light today.

My point about stress testing stands.

Now if only they finally released the case cad so someone can design a beefed up case for it XD

I think that your environment is probably more to blame here than the way you are using it, although I will add that I think I have dropped ALL of my laptops over the years less times than you’ve dropped just this one.

I just try to take care of my laptops, but I’m not ridiculous about it. I mainly just don’t drop them and don’t put them in harsh situations. That is really it. I guess that is my secret.

1 Like

Maybe this should be FWs next project, a ruggedised laptop. Use proper double injection keycaps, latching lid, maybe even protective covers over the USB connections. They may find the Armed Forces come calling … there goes the first 25 batches before anyone else gets a look in …

Just release the case cad and let the community make it.

Pretty sure they already are, but not having to be backlit makes durability a lot easier there.

Not enough proprietary special sauce XD

1 Like

I thought I was bad. My laptop gets lugged through rainforests, banged up in cities, dropped, and abused, but you definitely beat up your laptop.

I started with a FW 11th gen batch 5. Have since done the following:

• Replaced defective hinges (under warranty)
  • Replaced the microphone/camera unit (microphone stopped working)
  • Replaced the power button. (That one was on me. I messed up the wire while replacing the hinges)
  • Upgraded to the CNC cover
  • Upgraded to AMD 7840 (turned the 11th gen into a standalone machine with the CoolerMaster case).

Overall, I’m pretty much in line with @TJ1. My Thinkpad X1 Carbons have been much more durable. But the ability to upgrade and evolve the FW is hard to beat: with the AMD upgrade/CoolerMaster, my one FW has now replaced two X1 Carbons.

And the FW has been far more robust than my XPS13s.

5 Likes

Ha, I thought you had done more to yours than I did! Hmmm…since you upgraded to the CNC cover, I probably should do that, too.

I don’t think it would really take more than a couple of mm and some engineering around the corner areas to make it much closer to indestructible. It would also allow more battery life and even the thinkpad keyboard that half the lurkers have been waiting for.

Yes, perhaps the backlighting is the problem that causes the weardown. If this one wears out, then the next replacement I’ll get blank ansi. So this test will take about 5 more years…

I agree. The corners tend to take brunt of the (numerous) falls. Mine are still in good shape, but I put that down to luck more than anything else.

1 Like

My definition is “droppage is a regular part of the life of my electronics. That isn’t harsh.” Accidentally sitting or stepping on it might be a bit over the top.

Mine’s definitely been banged up and rained on. My laptop bag isn’t cushioned–I have a cushioned sleeve, but then I have to worry about getting it in our out of the sleeve, and I’m basically lazy about that sort of activity.

Crumbs and ingredients on the keyboard are a thing. I do chocolate for a living, so that’s just part of the game. I usually flip the laptop over and gently tap it a few times, but occasionally the compressed air comes into play.

My FW is in surprisingly good condition. Keyboard is completely readable and everything’s working properly. I have Dbrand skins on to protect the beast–especially the input cover. You wouldn’t be able to guess the amount of abuse it takes by looking at it.

3 Likes

You abuse it by looking at it ??? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Are those costs just the sum of costs or have you applied some kind of discount rate (e.g. inflation or interest rates)?

How is the battery doing after almost 3 years?

Sum of costs with no adjustments.

From upowerd --dump, it looks like 83%. I’m surprised the cycle count is so low. I did reset the motherboard roughly a year ago, so the count might be double? Or perhaps it only counts full discharges.

energy-full:         45.4916 Wh
    energy-full-design:  55.0088 Wh
    energy-rate:         8.8704 W
    voltage:             16.102 V
    charge-cycles:       108

Edit: Just recently changed the firmware to limit the charging to 85%. Not sure if that really makes a difference as the battery is already around 80%.

No it does count partial charges but it’s not very accurate. For two years I kept a daily record.
The battery reading was around 3% wear, went up to 7 very quickly. Spend a year or more going down to a short time 2% and is now above 6%, yet only 99 cycles.

if it went up significantly I would do a full discharge and recharge it to 100 for a day or so.

Then set the max charge to 78%.

Most of those efforts seemed effect the way the value was assesed and most often shown a reduction in wear, but just lately that has change. i.e. from Dec 23 wear has increased

http://217.155.51.23/newdevices/framework/battery/graph.php

2 Likes

You’d best believe it.

I can only say….yikes

3 Likes

If it’s only done so few cycles it sounds like it’s used mostly plugged in. If it hasn’t seen a full discharge-charge cycle, it’s more of a wild guess at the capacity than what it actually is.

1 Like

My FW’s currently spending the day under a tornado warning in the Florida panhandle. I thought it needed a little breeze and humidity to help clean the keyboard.

8 Likes

Now have 32GB RAM. Thought this should be documented in this thread because Framework made a one-time exception to replace the original 16GB module.

In June 2023, I was having some issues looked like a disk / memory issue, so I bought another disk and ram. Turns out it was fixed by a motherboard reset, but the RAM did turn out to be bad, so I replaced it.

And last month, I finally initiated an RMA with Crucial. Only problem was that I needed an invoice which shows the I purchased the RAM. The original invoice doesn’t show that it is Crucial RAM, so I had to contact support to get an invoice I could use with Crucial.

Seems like someone had done it before:

For some reason, over a series of emails spanning a week or more, I got back various responses, none of which addressed the problem at hand. I even included the forum link above. Perhaps my request was too confusing, but the first two responses were:

• how to download the invoice
  • how to apply for an RMA at Crucial

However, on the 3rd try someone understood my request. Instead of providing an invoice and then dealing with Crucial, they made an exception to RMA the RAM directly.

Process started on 2024-04-05, escalated on 2024-04-10, ack’d by RMA team on 2024-04-12, new ram arrived on 2024-04-16.

Went to ship the old ram back the next week, and to my surprise, I didn’t have to pay for return shipping. So a bit frustrating to start, but all is well that ends well.

3 Likes