Second update on Framework Laptop 16 shipment timing

In our first update email, we gave a quick overview of where we are on starting Framework Laptop 16 manufacturing and a list of open issues. There are still a handful of firmware items that are open and module production dates that are pending for full system production. However, we’ve made excellent progress in the last two weeks, and we’re happy to share that Mainboard mass production has started! This means the first set of final Mainboards are flowing down the manufacturing line this week at our factory in Taiwan. We’ll run them through the normal testing procedures and hold them while we prepare for full system manufacturing.

We’re eager to close out the rest of the opens, build the first units, and get them out to you all. We have a list of the remaining open items below, along with the issues from the last update that are now resolved.

New issues

1. High pitched airflow noise in the Graphics Module fan - We identified an airflow path in the Graphics Module fan that could result in a high pitch noise. This is another issue that was resolved in DVT2, but we found a regression in it during pre-mass production sample checking. Our supplier was able to resolve the issue with an adjustment to one of the internal mechanical parts in the fan that guides the airflow path. We’re now determining whether there is any impact to the schedule from needing to adjust tooling and rework already produced fans, but we don’t expect this to be the long pole in the schedule.

In progress

1. The fans have a small chirping noise on startup - Our fan supplier was able to root cause the issue and revise the fan to remove the chirping noise. The initial production schedule for updated fans is currently the longest pole for our system production schedule, so we’re working closely with the supplier to find ways to shorten it.

2. Power tuning during heavy loading - Our graphics card provider was able to revise the card and is proceeding into production on it. Even though the issue is resolved, we’re tracking it as “in progress” since Graphics Module manufacturing is one of the longer pole items on our production schedule. We’re also continuing to tune firmware to maximize performance across different power scenarios (on full battery, on low battery, on a 100W adapter, on a 180W adapter, on a 240W adapter, etc)

3. Graphics Module compatibility issues in Linux - We’re still working closely with the team at AMD to debug Linux compatibility issues on the Graphics Module. Our current assumption is that VBIOS firmware needs to be modified. Linux compatibility is extremely important, and we’re committed to making sure it is smooth before launch.

4. USB-PD firmware is in the process of completion - With the Framework Laptop 16 being the first product on the market supporting 180W and 240W USB-C along with a complex scheme for handling Expansion Cards, our USB-PD firmware is complicated. Implementation is nearly complete, and we also want to ensure we do sufficient testing before our target 12/8 mass production internal firmware release.

5. LED Matrix module schedule is trending late - We’re working with the supplier to pull in their schedule to meet launch timing, but it is still trending late.

Resolved issues

1. Cosmetic issues on aluminum forming parts using high recycled material content - We’ve completed process tuning and set cosmetic criteria that gives good results without resulting in excessive yield loss for production. In parallel, we’re working with the aluminum parts supplier on an improved source for post-consumer recycled material to use in the long run.

2. Our Numpad vendor used out of spec resistors - Our supplier was able to build new interface boards with the correct resistors, and their overall module production is on schedule.

3. Tuning capacitor noise - Our supplier was able to switch some capacitors to low noise variants and adjust the slew rate on some power rails, which substantially reduced noise.

4. Expansion Bay Interposer manufacturing yields - The interposer manufacturer was able to tune the tooling and assembly process on the custom connector, and yields are at the level required for production. The timing of production quantities is currently on track to meet our system production. We’re really excited about this connector, and will be sharing more detail in an upcoming blog post on how it enables GPU modularity.

5. Late display firmware update - We were able to roll out a new EDID into panel production that enables DCI-P3 correctly, and panel deliveries are on track for system production.

33 Likes

Thanks for the update! It’s appreciated. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, once mass production has commenced it would also be appreciated if your update then could give an fresh estimate, perhaps to the month, of when each batch is likely to be delivered.

In relation to the outstanding “small chirping noise on startup”, and while I clearly haven’t heard it and don’t know if it has a risk of recurring during normal use, it occurred to me that I might not mind it at all. On my current (still relatively new) 13" HP laptop one of my minor annoyances is that after pressing the power key to start, if I’m in a well lit place, while waiting for the screen to start displaying I have to look very carefully to spot the small LEDs illuminated on a couple of keys to confirm that it is starting. An immediate small audio indicator that startup has commenced might be nice. :wink:

8 Likes

Thank you for the update, it gets me excited even more, which is… barely tolerable! :smiley:

2 Likes

These updates are fun to read, and it feels good to be looped in. As others have said, thanks!

I’d be very interested in reading what that tuning process consists of, if you’re taking blog post requests.

5 Likes

FW transparency and taking us users into the deep dark side of production, suppliers, component issues, etc is really quite impressive. I love reading this stuff. Keep it coming while you work towards production. Good luck.

11 Likes

Super cool update, thanks for sharing framework team!

4 Likes

Appreciate the transparency here. I’m not buying the graphics module or chassis but you do tempt me as I see the attention to detail that’s being paid to it.
Looking forwards to individual part orders opening up, hopefully sometime spring 2024?
Keep up the good work FW team!

1 Like

Interesting further details, thank you.

1 Like

I actually went for the GPU module because of this attention to detail, and I’m going to test the h* out of all components under Linux.
I think the Phoronix test suite will get more than one run at the entire device. With and Without GPU module.

3 Likes

Do you do reviews on YouTube or blog? If so, please link it once you get the results! Would love to see!

I may post it on my personal blog page or here in the forums :}
But the data will be available in the phoronix database for sure! Especially since I have my “regular” workstation which still works fine …
But the hardware & technical details of the FW16 is so gorgeous :slight_smile: I just couldn’t resist!

2 Likes

Looking towards a purchase for September 2024 delivery. I know that’s some months away but testing, revising, etc. takes a long time so I would say Q3 2024 would be a fair time frame.

is there any possibility it might be possible to opt into components with cosmetic-only issues? i love the idea of your ‘factory seconds’ program, and would be absolutely willing to have blemishes on my new unit to help you guys cut down on waste and re-processing. (plus it’d be like receiving a unique unit. value add!)

I don’t know what you are referencing here, or if there is a misunderstanding somewhere, but FWL16 will likely start shipping in 2023, at the very latest in January 2024. Testing, revising and QA has been going on for many months now and by their own reports, Frameworks is in the final stages. They even started mass manufacturing of mainboards recently.
I would also expect the batches system to be gone in the first half of 2024, so you can just order a laptop and recieve it a few days later.

Maybe you mean they need to work out kinks in the first units, so you want to hold off your purchase until it runs smoothly, but given that this is not their first product anymore and looking at the timeline of improvements and fixes on the FWL13, I’d say most bugs should be gone early next year as well (if there are any, stay optimistic :wink: )

In the end it’s your decision of course, just wanted to point out, that it’s not like they will ship prototypes in the next weeks and finished products next september.They take their time (and they should!), so that what we get is finished and working.

1 Like

@ Schuasda:

What I mean was not having to wait in batches but simply order and it arrives within a week. Currently using a FW13 and the buying process was unpleasant having placed the order for Batch 2 in April and to only just receive in first week of Nov. The FW13 also had delays in sorting out the USB issues.

Unless there’s a price discount for pre-ordering, I will be keeping an eye on the FW16 progress and aiming for September delivery will give me plenty of time.

@SBQ
i see, fair enough. I just couldn’t wait and don’t currently have a laptop (while also not needing one RIGHT NOW and wanting bigger screen etc.) :smile:
so going for 16 instead of 13 and having to wait half a year didn’t seem so bad. Now I’m getting really excited and “can’t wait” though.

2 Likes

Certainly, thank you for the informative update, Matt. I am inquiring about guidelines for acquiring third-party compatible hardware such as RAM, SSD, and GPU. Could you provide information on the recommended specifications and limitations for each component, for instance, the maximum and minimum allowable configurations? For example, what is the maximum supported RAM capacity, and what are the acceptable ranges for SSD and GPU specifications? Many thanks.

There are knowledge base articles which should have all the information you are looking for:
https://knowledgebase.frame.work/en_us/categories/framework-laptop-16-ryxzcVsOn

3 Likes

Thanks Schuasda.

1 Like