Second update on Framework Laptop 16 shipment timing

Thank you for the update, it gets me excited even more, which is… barely tolerable! :smiley:

2 Likes

These updates are fun to read, and it feels good to be looped in. As others have said, thanks!

I’d be very interested in reading what that tuning process consists of, if you’re taking blog post requests.

5 Likes

FW transparency and taking us users into the deep dark side of production, suppliers, component issues, etc is really quite impressive. I love reading this stuff. Keep it coming while you work towards production. Good luck.

11 Likes

Super cool update, thanks for sharing framework team!

4 Likes

Appreciate the transparency here. I’m not buying the graphics module or chassis but you do tempt me as I see the attention to detail that’s being paid to it.
Looking forwards to individual part orders opening up, hopefully sometime spring 2024?
Keep up the good work FW team!

1 Like

Interesting further details, thank you.

1 Like

I actually went for the GPU module because of this attention to detail, and I’m going to test the h* out of all components under Linux.
I think the Phoronix test suite will get more than one run at the entire device. With and Without GPU module.

3 Likes

Do you do reviews on YouTube or blog? If so, please link it once you get the results! Would love to see!

I may post it on my personal blog page or here in the forums :}
But the data will be available in the phoronix database for sure! Especially since I have my “regular” workstation which still works fine …
But the hardware & technical details of the FW16 is so gorgeous :slight_smile: I just couldn’t resist!

2 Likes

Looking towards a purchase for September 2024 delivery. I know that’s some months away but testing, revising, etc. takes a long time so I would say Q3 2024 would be a fair time frame.

is there any possibility it might be possible to opt into components with cosmetic-only issues? i love the idea of your ‘factory seconds’ program, and would be absolutely willing to have blemishes on my new unit to help you guys cut down on waste and re-processing. (plus it’d be like receiving a unique unit. value add!)

I don’t know what you are referencing here, or if there is a misunderstanding somewhere, but FWL16 will likely start shipping in 2023, at the very latest in January 2024. Testing, revising and QA has been going on for many months now and by their own reports, Frameworks is in the final stages. They even started mass manufacturing of mainboards recently.
I would also expect the batches system to be gone in the first half of 2024, so you can just order a laptop and recieve it a few days later.

Maybe you mean they need to work out kinks in the first units, so you want to hold off your purchase until it runs smoothly, but given that this is not their first product anymore and looking at the timeline of improvements and fixes on the FWL13, I’d say most bugs should be gone early next year as well (if there are any, stay optimistic :wink: )

In the end it’s your decision of course, just wanted to point out, that it’s not like they will ship prototypes in the next weeks and finished products next september.They take their time (and they should!), so that what we get is finished and working.

1 Like

@ Schuasda:

What I mean was not having to wait in batches but simply order and it arrives within a week. Currently using a FW13 and the buying process was unpleasant having placed the order for Batch 2 in April and to only just receive in first week of Nov. The FW13 also had delays in sorting out the USB issues.

Unless there’s a price discount for pre-ordering, I will be keeping an eye on the FW16 progress and aiming for September delivery will give me plenty of time.

@SBQ
i see, fair enough. I just couldn’t wait and don’t currently have a laptop (while also not needing one RIGHT NOW and wanting bigger screen etc.) :smile:
so going for 16 instead of 13 and having to wait half a year didn’t seem so bad. Now I’m getting really excited and “can’t wait” though.

2 Likes

Certainly, thank you for the informative update, Matt. I am inquiring about guidelines for acquiring third-party compatible hardware such as RAM, SSD, and GPU. Could you provide information on the recommended specifications and limitations for each component, for instance, the maximum and minimum allowable configurations? For example, what is the maximum supported RAM capacity, and what are the acceptable ranges for SSD and GPU specifications? Many thanks.

There are knowledge base articles which should have all the information you are looking for:
https://knowledgebase.frame.work/en_us/categories/framework-laptop-16-ryxzcVsOn

3 Likes

Thanks Schuasda.

1 Like

Man I’m getting excited!

1 Like