Sharp edges on new FW13

I just received my FW13 (AMD/new screen) and love the laptop so far except for one major issue and one minor. The minor issue (tab key clicking with extremely light pressure) may be something I can resolve by adjusting the keyboard within the frame (the top cover came assembled).

The major issue, on the other hand, I’ve only seen one other reference to, and wanted to see if anybody else has dealt with it before. My laptop is sharp around the edges. Where the top cover meets the bottom, there is a slight lip all around, with the top cover being slightly larger, and the edge is extra sharp. I’ve tried loosening the bottom screws and pushing on the top cover rearward (so at least the front isn’t as sharp) while tightening screws, and it helped somewhat, but it’s still sharp enough to hurt when using the touchpad and your palms or hands rest along the front edge.

You can see the edge even after attempting to adjust the top cover in these pictures: iCloud Photos - Apple iCloud

There doesn’t appear to be a fillet or even a chamfer on the edge on the top cover, which combined with the overhang is what appears to make it so sharp. Has anybody else run into this and is it something I’m just doing wrong or is it just a machining/tolerance issue? I’m leaning towards the latter, but thought I’d ask here first before jumping to that conclusion. I can’t see any way I could adjust the fitment on both sides and the front to avoid the issue.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Check out the forum via a search, though I imagine you have done such to some degree

https://community.frame.work/search?q=Sharp

It is probably an engineering error as you mention.

By top cover, you mean the [Input cover] that holds the keyboard ?

And now you mention it I can run my fingernail under the [input cover] on the right side.

1 Like

Hi,

I did find one other post like this, but there was no follow-up regarding a resolution (though I found it on Reddit). I haven’t found any other pictures about this issue, specifically, around the entire perimeter of the laptop. Some people have mentioned a little lip near the expansion cards, but I’ve only found one example of someone calling out an actual sharp edge along the entire front of the laptop. The lip on the sides isn’t the end of the world even if I’m not happy about it, but the lip/sharp edge on the front is an actual problem.

Yes, I mean the “input cover”, based on the marketplace nomenclature.

1 Like

Best to contact support now as it can take a while for them to ask questions etc. over a number of emails.

They may send a whole new laptop as sending a new Input cover may not resolve the issue.

Surprising post

Sleep now ~ UK hours

I’d reached out to support with the above pictures, and they requested even more pictures of the laptop and box, from all angles, and asked more questions. I’m waiting to hear back at this point - I agree, I didn’t want to wait with many new people receiving batches.

I also agree, the top edges feel great compared to my M3 MBP, they have a nice fillet that doesn’t cut into my wrists. It’s the lip around it that’s sharp enough to catch skin, on the front. I’m sure FW support will take care of me in the end - I’m just hoping I don’t end up without a laptop for a long while.

1 Like

I have a new, just-arrived F13. I find that the edge of the front of the machine - the edge where one’s hands and wrists go - is too sharp. It is not, I think and trust, sharp enough to cause a cut, but it is sharp enough to feel uncomfortable. Perhaps one gets used to it. If not, I have trouble seeing how this passed Q&A. Indeed: can one sand it?

A related point: the raised bar underneath the machine seems to cause scraping on metal laptop pads. That is not good either.

No do not sand the thin aluminium, also it is coated somewhat.

Try and show a picture this is rather unusual as you can see from above post especially

There are two places.

a) the very edge of the input cover
b) the joint between the input cover and the base

both are mentioned separately . . . so which are you complaining about?

See also this topic

They replaced my input cover, as a follow-up. The new one is “better” but it still isn’t great. At least the top edges aren’t sharp like a MBP, but there needs to be some additional planning around machining tolerances when doing designs like this. I don’t want to go through another replacement cycle at this point, and this one is “good enough”.

To be clear, it was the joint between the top cover and the base that had the sharp lip on it, not the top edge. That has always been quite nice, actually.

Thanks

Thanks for the response. Here is a picture to show which place(s) I have in mind; I have in mind the areas marked in orange and, especially, the area - in the middle - marked with red.

My previous laptop - if this matters - was a ThinkPad X1CG6.

Those are the areas sharp for me, but not on the top, it’s the lip of the bottom of the top cover, at the seam between the base of the laptop and the top cover. The top cover is a little sharp where you described in the center, but nothing like even a MBP on the top.

If you can brush your finger up from the bottom towards the top on the front edge, there is/was a lip on mine where the two covers joined, on the bottom of the top cover. That was sharp enough to cut the top layer of skin on my initial cover.

I think you are talking about the joint between the input panel and chassis not the top edge.

Note the centre has the bevel and so can’t be ‘sharp’ so if that is the case OK

I have a small diff on the left side but only noticeable now I’m investigating, nothing to be concerned with.

Did you se the topic I linked to, about hair getting caught.
There you can see a close of my laptop, no worries.

So if you can show the edge then maybe you can also show Framework.

It may also be the way the chassis and the input cover have been screwed together.
Whether a DIY or not you can loosen the screws and see if you can better align the parts at the front before you tighten.