[Showcase] RGB LED Matrix Input Module

I have already purchased the LEDs. So, they know to have them manufactured and sent to the warehouse under my account.

Pretty sure the screenshot he posted is his order.

1 Like

:woman_facepalming:t3:

I read it on phone and didn’t zoom in… Please disregard my rambling…

Production update #2: https://jschroedl.com/rgb-led-matrix-production-update-2/

6 Likes

Whoa, this is amazing! Can’t believe I’m only seeing this thread now.

So I found your link to purchase, without having to go back through and read the entire thread, if there’s an Add To Cart, that means there’s still some available to buy then? And what’s the current estimated time line?

1 Like

I still have stock available for purchase. You can check out the production update I posted 4 days ago for the current progress.

Thanks, I did see that, but it just says things are moving along. Does that mean a week? a month? 2 months? Obviously that would be an estimate.

I even scanned the rest of the thread, and don’t see any “well, probably in X months”. Just that production has started, and the LEDs are on the way to JLCPCB (btw, using that service myself for a few of my own small PCBs for other projects!).

Also, what’s the current code you have for the module? I don’t see it on the github anywhere.

I also was going to ask why you didn’t use a SK6812 RGBW…and then I went searching and the smallest I could find was 3.5x3.7mm which is way larger than the 1.4x1.4mm RGB ones that you’re using. So yeah, too bad about that, would have been nice.

1 Like

To give an estimate for batch 1 here is a break-down of timelines.

• Parts acquiring should take about two more weeks for JLCPCB to get all 14000 LEDs :laughing:.
  • PCB ordering should take one to two weeks once JLCPCB has all parts.
  • PCB Assembly should take a couple of weeks once I place the PCB order.
  • Once I receive the assembled PCB, I will need time to assembly the physical modules and finalize the software.

Here are the relevant GitHub repositories:

2 Likes

facepalm Me and remember that the repos listed on your user is NOT all of the repos that exist. They show Popular, and there is no “view more” or anything like that button. Super annoying.

But anyways, thanks for a link to the other repos, definitely a help.

Looks like your initial code is just to read in from serial, assuming it’s always sent as a full list of pixel matrix colors, and then set and display those. Seems reasonable, although I don’t see any way to update the firmware later, how would I do that later on? I do see you’re including a 16Mbit NOR flash onboard, so plenty of room for bigger firmwares sounds like.

BTW, how do you get serial in? The Input Modules are USB, and I didn’t spot a USB<->UART chip on your BOM, although I might have simply missed it. Or does the RP2040 have that built-in? That’d be pretty sweet if it has it built-in.

As for the FW rust matrix firmware, I’ve been wanting to dig into rust myself, maybe this is my chance, lol. Gotta get my FW16 first, and then your module, and then perhaps able to start playing with it.

1 Like

The firmware on the modules can be updated using the Arduino IDE. The RP2040 has a USB interface built in so it shows up as a serial port device automatically.

Ah, so Arduino IDE (and I presume other various tools) can trigger the RP2040 to an update mode over USB automatically? No “short IO0 to GND and supply power” tricks needed? That’s super nice. I might have to take a closer look at RP2040 for some projects in the future.

1 Like

i was just wondering… could it be a mini DIY? :smiley:

im guessing its only 2 screws but still, keeping with the spirit of the laptop

1 Like

well i am already excited about the future seeing your enthusiasm!

1 Like

Are you kidding me? Vini, vici, Ordereddi. You have my money.

SUCH A FREAKING AWESOME IDEA!!! :slight_smile: I’m super excited for this! So cool! Take my money! Take it- take it all! Well, no, ok $140 for the pair is good.

I didn’t even think the originals aren’t rgb! It was cool enough just to have the matrices. Now you turned it up to 11*2 == 22! Wow. Great job.

1 Like

Production Update #3!
https://jschroedl.com/rgb-led-matrix-production-update-3/

6 Likes

Production Update #4!

5 Likes

Woohoo! I can’t wait!

1 Like

How is the software coming along for this project?

1 Like

Exciting news! Here are some assembled board pictures from JLCPCB!

Back:

Front:

9 Likes

Yippee!!

I got my FW16, can’t wait until I get this and can start playing with it.

1 Like