[Showcase] RGB LED Matrix Input Module

I have received the DHL tracking for the PCBs!

5 Likes

Is communication with the RP2040 bidirectional to the laptop? I might like to have Linux tell the matrices (…matrixes? …matridons? …matruloids? …matrinators?) a thing or two, and spit out details about the state of my laptop or something. Just spitballing.

First thing I want to do is just print basic layer info of the QMK keyboard, if/when I press a certain key or key sequence…

1 Like

The RP2040 shows up as a serial port when using the Arduino IDE firmware. This allows for bidirectional communication. But, you might want to modify the firmware to have the LED matrix transmit specific data back to the computer.

The RP2040 shows up as a serial port when using the Arduino IDE firmware. This allows for bidirectional communication. But, you might want to modify the firmware to have the LED matrix transmit specific data back to the computer.

Edit: replying to @Michael_Schwager

@Joseph_Schroedl Any estimate when you’ll receive the first boards? Still waiting on JLCPCB to ship?

I’m trying to be patient…might be a losing battle :wink:

1 Like

I have the first run of 50 boards. I need to hand solder the dip switches, as JLCPCB couldn’t do that.

I’m waiting for JLCPCB to receive the components to make the remaining 25 boards. Once I place that PCB assembly order, then I’ll order the number of DIP switches I need. After I have all 75 PCBs on hand, then I’ll be soldering DIP switches and assembling complete modules. I’d say sometime in June is the new estimate for when they will be complete.

13 Likes

Awesome!

If it’ll help, I can solder my own DIP switches on :wink:

3 Likes

Any updates on the software side of things?

1 Like

So with the new Community Market will this listing be put over there and this forum be mostly for updates? This seems like one of the more solid products being made and I’d love to see a bunch of modules and expansions in the Market.

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Short update today. JLCPCB is finishing up the second batch of LED circuit boards. Once I receive those circuit boards, I’ll start assembling all modules.

6 Likes

Your updates are always appreciated and I am sure we are all on the edge of our seats eagerly waiting for you to let us know they’re all assembled and the time has come!

Also, belated congratulations on your recent graduation!

1 Like

Thank you!

JLCPCB just mailed out the second batch of PCBs and I have ordered the right amount of DIP switches.

2 Likes

Woohoo! Great news, looking forward to getting mine.

1 Like

Congrats on the callout in the latest newsletter!

3 Likes

Second batch of PCBs and all the switches are out for delivery today!

6 Likes

All 75 circuit boards have arrived!

8 Likes

Sweet! Getting excited! :smiley:

1 Like

Yippee! Good to hear, looking forward to getting mine.

1 Like

Waiting on some more parts to arrive before completing all modules. But, here are some pictures of me assembling some parts.

7 Likes

That’s a lot of busyness you’re about to get into. And finicky work a bit of it. Make yourself up a jig or two to hold bits into position properly, so you can just put things in the jig, solder/glue as needed, and then move on to the next one.

2 Likes