SNACK: Sd cards, Notes, Appitizers, Cash, and Keepsakes. A Drawer Expansion Card

I was thinking depth. Length can be extended a bit but probably shouldn’t be doubled without potentially putting too much strain on the plastic inside of the card slot in the event the laptop gets dropped or something. You’ll get too big a moment arm in my opinion. Depth on the other hand, could probably be increased with relative safety by adding support around the exterior of the card enclosure. Your biggest challenge would be the impact to laptop stability and user comfort.

Would you consider shipping to Canada in the future? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My snack drawer arrived!! Seems to have arrived just fine.

Here’s how it looks on the laptop:

As you can see, I am in Batch 3. Pain

22 Likes

I’m working on a slightly more than double deep drawer now. I’ll need to play with the angle at the bottom and consider how exactly much deeper is good. I’m thinking of a much deeper version that could significantly alter the height while also providing large storage areas. Stay tuned.

I will consider it. I’ll have to figure out how to get the shiping set up for international. I don’t yet make enough to warrant paying for better payment processor services but don’t want to charge for more than the drawers are worth in my eyes.

1 Like

I just looked around and the cheapest I can find the shipping would end up being about $16 (CAD$20). Do you still think it’s worth it to spend almost 6 times the price of the product on shipping? It might be cheaper to find a friend with a printer and pay for the model files instead.

I suppose if you think the drawers are worth more than $3 then maybe the difference between the shipping and product is not so bad.

I still need to figure out how I would set up different pricing for different regions. I’ll get back to you on that.

Edit: It looks like I can have multiple shipping rates. I’ll open it up to Canada once I figure out the box price situation. I don’t think that padded envelopes will be enough for crossing the border.

1 Like

ROTFLMAO - nice one, @gs1

1 Like

@XenoCow You definitely can use envelopes to ship parts to Canada( at least to Ontario). I’ve got few months ago a spare part from Sherline( it’s an American tabletop Lathe and Mill manufacturer). It was delivered by Canada Post( so I believe it was sent by USPS) in envelope w/o any issues.

Well… In that case. ORDERS ARE OPEN FOR CANADA!

USPS Still wants a good chunk of change for it though. :frowning:

3 Likes

SNACK gets a callout in a recent opinion piece from Tom’s Guide: The Framework Laptop is the future of laptops — and that’s why I’m buying one | Tom's Guide

6 Likes

Anyone think that was weed not cash? made me do a double take :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Yup. One of those times where I wished the internet had “scratch ‘n sniff” enabled.

2 Likes

That’s your problem. It’s in backwards.

2 Likes

I mean, what you use your SNACK drawer for is your own business. You might want to put it in a little plastic bag since there is a slot handle at the bottom that might leak small chunks.

This project seriously gave me flashbacks to the Hulk Hogan Meat Shoes thread from Something Awful years ago…

Any chance we can get the SNACK in Hulkamania colours with a Jerky shot?

1 Like

You can request a specific color when you order.

I have red already, I would need to order yellow… Now that I think about it, I could sell multi-colored drawers. It is a bit more work since I have to get two prints going, but I could see that being something people would want.

I would then offer just the drawer slides or just the frames if someone wants to mix up the colors a little.

Got my snack drawers in! Things I’m planning on using them for:

1. micro SD cards
  2. Yubikey 5 Nano (3.1mm thick should fit?)
  3. SIM cards when I travel internationally (whenever that starts happening again)
2 Likes

Tell me how they work out. I’m curious to hear about how they fare in the wild.

So far, a very nice, snug fit. At first, I was worried about how loose they were, but once installed in the laptop, the friction tolerances are perfect - they’d never slide open accidentally.

I also played a bit with different objects to see what would fit. Also, since I got purple and green drawers, I can mix and match and make HULK SNACK DRAWERS.

9 Likes

:rofl: First thing I thought of when I saw the SNACK drawers.

Hulk SNAAACK!

1 Like