SNACK: Sd cards, Notes, Appitizers, Cash, and Keepsakes. A Drawer Expansion Card

@XenoCow
No problem, happy to help.
I really don’t need a drawer, but you never know. But I am going to order both anyway to support the cause of folks who are designing anything for the laptop. And you do appear to be a 1st.

Also, $8 for all of the versions of the files you created is very fair. They take work and I appreciate the effort.

P. S. I love the photo of the open drawer with the nickel in it.

If Framework had photos of the modules with a quarter next to them, there would have been fewer folks suggesting putting 50 lbs in a 10 lb sack. :smile:

7 Likes

Fiddling around with the two micro SD cards I have, I think you could fit about 12, maybe 16 if you really tried. Unfortunately not even 1 full-sized SD card fits.

Ordered. I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

3 Likes

If you already ordered and haven’t heard back from me yet it means I have not gotten your order. I have set up a much slicker way of ordering now through Square. Thank you for your patience.

Also, I will be adding examples of my current stock of colors soon. Remember that you may request a color if I don’t have it in stock.

1 Like

I’m so stoked to see community designed and built modules available so quickly! Sure, it’s just a drawer, but still - it’s so exciting!

And it’s totally practical - microSD cards is exactly what I needed one of these for, I’m ordering one right now :slight_smile:

Also, the sense of humor is :100: - I’m in cybersecurity and I nearly did a spit take on the passwords picture

11 Likes

I’m officially the 2nd person ever to buy a third-party Framework expansion accessory

6 Likes

:email: The first orders are out! :mailbox: Thank you to all of you who are joining me in my wacky dream of making a tiny drawer for a laptop. One thing that I didn’t expect was the choice of color. For some reason, green and purple are the most popular colors. Who would have thought that?

3 Likes

Just a thought. Does anyone have an aluminium CNC router and a chunk of aluminium that they are willing to sacrifice to making an aluminium snack drawer.

3 Likes

I like the idea, I think that some of the design would have to change if it was milled. Currently the drawer relies on some plastic spring latches.

Hmm, this doesn’t sound like good news for those of us waiting on a full-sized SD card module. Can you upload a photo of what a full-sized SD card looks like in your drawer?

2 Likes

Here you go:

1. Inside my drawer (just fits until the indents that protrude inside get in the way)
  2. On top of normal expansion card
  3. Height comparison (my card is the same height as the normal cards)

1 Like

All the talk about this being a meme product but for those people with a dozen Micro SD cards they need to lug around (not me, thankfully) this might legit be an amazing card for them, lol

2 Likes

Thanks so much for these pictures. Full-sized SD definitely looks like a huge challenge, but hopefully one day it can be done :slight_smile:

1 Like

@XenoCow
You got a mention!

Makezine Article

3 Likes

Yeah! Long live the snack drawer!

1 Like

“We’re seeing some incredible designs in development already, from UART bridges to dual USB-C hubs to snack drawers (!!!).”

1 Like

I was thinking about your snack drawer, a lot, and I thought it would be advantageous if you rebranded it to an acronym or a portmanteau.

Examples:

SNAQ!
or
SNAQUE!

(Satisfy, Nourish, Aid, Quell)

Continued success to you.

1 Like

You could make a double depth meal drawer
It might fit a meal for a [very] small cat

On a separate note,

sounds to me like someone needs to invest in a new expansion card. You can indulge yourself. It’s only 3 dollars - the price of a snack.

2 Likes

SNACK
Sd cards
Notes
Appetizers
Cash
Keepsakes

Thank you for the idea!

7 Likes

By deep do you mean long (sticking out of the laptop sideways) or do you mean deep as in height (sticking out below the laptop)?