Snapdragon X Elite (ARM)

Are there plans to introduce Snapdragon X Elite in the future? I want to try X Elite. Actually, if the framework had added a new line, I would have bought it right away.

3 Likes

If Windows-on-ARM becomes popular, I’d be very surprised if Framework didn’t create a motherboard that uses an ARM CPU. It’s likely too fringe a platform for the moment, but there’s a good chance that will change in the future.

That said, I doubt anyone at Framework has the time to do much more than think in passing about such things at the moment, with the Framework 16 rollout. Give them at least a couple weeks after that. :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve wanted to see a FW13 carrier board for the ARM based Raspberry Pi CM4 (and soon to be CM5) boards. It would take the place of the mother/main board and allow for a thin, light, and power sipping Raspberry Pi laptop.
Maybe they’ll collaborate in the future, but who knows.
:grin: :crossed_fingers: :pie: :computer:

1 Like

If you’re into that sort of thing then you’d be better served by the MNT Reform. They already offer a Pi4 compute module as well as one that uses a Rockchip 3588 that is, I believe, an even more powerful ARM processor than the latest Raspberry Pi.

2 Likes

It would be amazing, except for how ram is directly soddered onto the chip. This decreases upgradeability and goes against the whole concept of framework.

2 Likes

It may be compatible with lpcamm

1 Like

Also highly interested in a Snapdragon X Elite based motherboard for FW16. The dream of efficiency similar to Apple M1 series and performance at least comparable to current CPUs is very much becoming a reality soon IMO. Maybe not right away with 1st gen of Snapdragon X series, but the gap to Apple Silicon is closing for sure. I would like to be an early adopter for ARM-based laptops but I don’t want to buy a whole separate laptop, a new FW16 motherboard would be perfect for me.

The major plus of having a FW laptop is the ability to buy that new motherboard for relatively cheap and to just go back if the software is not ready for ARM yet. Or swap based on workload and plans, maybe x86 at home for plugged in use and swap for ARM when taking it on vacation or mobile work. Although, so far looks like ARM is closing the gap fast enough and first gen chips are going to have good hardware and performance. Only software is left.

1 Like