[SOLVED] Driver Bundle wont install

I’ve used WinToUSB to install Windows 11 onto the 1TB expansion card. Everything’s great and I can boot from it, but things like WiFi don’t work. I tried installind the Driver Bundle for my system, but after unpacking all I see is a command prompt window appear for a split second, then disappear, with no drivers being installed. Is there a way to install the drivers manually through device manager, or a way to get the bundle installer to work?

PC: Framework 13 Ryzen™ 7040 Series

Hi and welcome.

Why use the expansion card ~ you do not mention another OS only the Windows

If you have an OS on the SSD search for installing windows on the expansion card

1 Like

Ended up getting help from the Discord. Turns out my problem wasn’t that I had installed windows on an external drive, but rather that my Windows installation had a lot of features removed, including WMIC, which the driver installation program requires to function properly.

1 Like

Didn’t end up using it, but I do appreciate your help!

1 Like

I am having this exact same issue, minus the expansion card piece.
I just bought a new Framework 16, finished installing Windows 11 to the primary SSD, and am trying to install the driver bundle. Issue is, as soon as the extract process finishes, a command prompt window flashes on the screen and disappears, and nothing else happens.
Driver bundle version 2024-04-02 (latest for 16).
I tried running this on my 11th gen Framework 13, and it installs with no issue.

You can unzip the .exe installer with 7zip. From there, open a terminal window, navigate to the unzipped folder and run that .bat file from the terminal. This will run the installer, but keep the terminal open for any errors. That’s how I realized that I was missing WMIC.

Fun Fact, WMIC is NOT INSTALLED by default on the newer builds of Windows 11. Repackaging the driver bundle will take some time rid it of the depreciated feature in Windows.
[Thank you @DHowett for the pointer.]

Since then, WMIC was converted into a Feature on Demand (FoD) as part of Windows 11, version 22H2. FoDs are Windows features that can be added at any time. And up until now, WMIC FoD has been preinstalled and enabled on Windows 11, version 22H2 and later versions. That’s changing in the coming year: in the next OS release of Windows 11, the WMIC FoD will be “disabled by default.” If you’re on the insider build, you’ll start seeing the change after January 29, 2024.

Alternatively installing would be slightly easier if the files were available individually. Though if specific switches are used in the command line they would have to be repackaged using those options. (i.e. silent install, etc.)

There are different calls that can be made from PowerShell that is the successor to WMIC (Note WMI and WMIC are NOT the same thing; WMI remains in place, it is WMIC that is no longer part of the OS.)

The long read is here:

The reference to the WMIC depreciation is here:

windows

FWIW, I slapped this together to serve the same purpose as wmic in Framework’s use case.

It’s usable as either a standalone executable or some sample code for querying the SMBIOS baseboard. :smile:

1 Like

You are a genius! I do not know who handles the Windows stuff at Framework, maybe @Destroya can pass this along. :trophy:

I’ve already bopped the right folks - don’t worry!

2 Likes

I’m sorry to ask this but I’m not as knowledgeable as you all and have very little understanding working in command line. I am having this issue and cannot install the drivers. I tried launching the bat file in terminal but it says please run as an administrator and press any key to continue. Would appreciate help as I don’t seem to follow what the workaround is here. I got my laptop yesterday.

They just release new bundle for 24H2 windows 11. I think it is not list in driver page but forum. You may have a try.

1 Like

Ah I see it thank you! It’s working now!

Hi!

Can you update the steps on your downloadpage, as this is the place where I follow the steps? Would have saved a few hours of finding the issue.

Many thanks! Maarten