Framework Laptop 13 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.05 Release and Driver Bundle

I turned off graphical boot, and haven’t had a single boot-to-black since.

In /etc/default/grub set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" rather than the default

This driver installer does not work on Windows 11 24H2.

A very minor thing: I updated a long time ago, basically no issues. Just wondering about a change. Before, the power button LED used to blink slowly when on sleep; even when closed. on the current version I do not see that behavior anymore. Just wondering if this was an intended change? Happening on both Windows and Fedora.

Apologies if this is explained somewhere, or if I should post this question elsewhere.

I have a Framework 13-AMD, running Linux and, I think, the latest BIOS. This thread speaks of the latest BIOS as being version 3.05. So what explains the following?

$ sudo dmidecode | grep -i 'BIOS Revision'
           BIOS Revision: 3.5

I think I read somewhere (on the forum or in a guide) that there was funniness with the numbering; it does seem that the version number that Framework cites is one number, whereas what the BIOS actually reports (at least on Linux) is another number. That is bad because confusing. (For instance: I have a Conky that displays my BIOS version on my desktop. Yet, given the shenanigans, that number is . . not the BIOS version.)

If you want the “display version”, read the bios-version field:

% sudo dmidecode -s bios-version

The “BIOS version” is a freeform string produced by the firmware vendor to indicate the user-visible version of the firmware.

The “BIOS revision” is usually two 8-bit integers used to communicate the machine-readable version of the firmware. It’s not actually 3.5, but rather major=0x03 minor=0x05… which dmidecode displays as 3.5.

In short: if you want the marketing name, use bios-version.

2 Likes

Ah. Thank you very much. I find that on a ThinkPad (X230) the’ bios-version’ method and the ‘BIOS Revision’ method yield (with minimal clearing up) the same number. Not so on the F13. I’ll use the former method for the F13.

We have updated the driver installer to https://downloads.frame.work/driver/Framework_Laptop_13_and_16_AMD_Ryzen_7040_driver_bundle_W11_2024_10_02.exe

This fixes a compatibility issue with 24H2 which was just released.
If you are installing this on 24H2. please use this version.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. Just did a fresh install yesterday & had to unzip the driver package & install each driver manually.

This will help moving forward! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

FYI the Framework 13 Help Centre article still points to the older installer. The 16 looks to be ok.

Just checking in to agree with Matthew_Slade-Carter. It took me a very long time to figure out why the drivers wouldn’t install because This page has not been updated yet.

1 Like

Looks like they updated it now.
Thanks for pointing it out!

mhh for me it still blinks in standby. i’m on linux

That is the reason I was asking I thought it was odd that the behavior had changed. Just to be clear mine blinks if open. It used to blink while open and closed.

I second this. My wife just got his framework laptop I convinced her to buy… no wifi, bundle didn’t install. You should update the documentation as quick as possible.

It was updated yesterday.

I too would like to know whether there is meant to be some indicator, even when the lid is shut, that the machine is sleeping. One does want that feature - even, ahem, when machines can suspend without problems - and thus it is not for nothing that various laptops have the feature. Even recent ThinkPads (to my knowledge) lazily blink their light (which, sensibly, is on the top of the lid) when they are ‘sleeping’.

EDIT: The F-13 does have - in addition to the glowing power button - a little power light on its ‘modules’ and when the machine is on the light on the connector containing the power cord is illuminated. Is that little light meant to be different when the machine is sleeping?

In the past the power button visibky blinked when on sleep. Currently mine doesn’t. Does your’s blink while shut? (You can see it from the side).

The side LEDs are for power indicators only it seems.

There is a limit to how much a button that has a lid over it can blink. But it does not seem to be blinking now, and my laptop lid is closed. However . . (sarcastic drum-roll), I am unsure that laptop is sleeping. I could test that via battery drain. Actually: come to think of it, I wrote a script that reports upon sleeps. So . . the script reports that the computer was asleep. That is good. The reason I worried was that some days ago the lid had been closed for a long-ish time and suddently the fans started going loudly. (Since then, I’ve updated the Linux firmware. There’s no guarantee that that will have fixed the problem, though.)

EDIT: but the commonest problem-to-do-with-sleep that people report on this forum is, I think, not that the thing doesn’t sleep at all, but that it wakes up at the drop of a hat.

The side LEDs are for power indicators only it seems.

Right. Thanks.

If I upgraded to W11 24H2 from W11 23H2 do I need to install this? My drivers are current but my install is not “new.”

My understanding is that Windows does not update the Firmware. Given they wrecked everyone’s duel boot UEFI the other month when they tried, this is a good thing.

It’s safe to install the firmware upgrade. It’ll either upgrade or do nothing, either of which is OK :slight_smile: