[Solved] I think I knocked off a SMD part, but the laptop still seems to work just fine. Should I be concerned?

When installed my SSD, my screwdriver slipped (100% me being an idiot), and when I took a close look, I noticed there was nothing in the spot labeled PD01. For reference, it’s the first component just below the M.2 mounting screw in this photo.

The laptop is still 100% working as far as I can tell, and I’ve been using for a while with it that way, but I figured I should ask just to see. I’m guessing that it’s partially redundant with there being a “PD02” just below it, but that there might be something less stable in the system without the missing component. Should I be worried about this? I don’t think I’d do anything about this (i.e. I don’t think it’s worth replacing the MB) unless there’s some sort of hidden danger to it.

1 Like

If you’re speaking about two-terminal thingy directly below the screw then that’s probably a filtering capacitor related to… power delivery? :thinking:

Such things are placed to filter out noise and generally make system more stable. However in certain cases, especially with high frequency interfaces such as USB or LVDS, removing coupling caps would negatively affect the performance of the interface even make it completely unusable.

On the other hand, if you’re speaking about three-terminal black thing, which is probably an SMD transistor, an active device. Removing it would definitely break the circuitry and render it unusable.

tldr: if it works, it works. You’re probably a lucky guy. Just be aware that you could experience some weird glitches in the future. In could also be that one of your USB ports would no longer support power delivery (totally speculating). Luckily, Framework mainboard provides 4x redundancy here :sweat_smile:

Update: If Framework devs use naming scheme for mainboard components then PD could mean power diode. So, better to ask support about actual function of that component. If it’s an ESD protection diode or a part of a rectifier circuit then it would probably work without it, if it passes power to some other component then you’d probably have issues.

PD way more likely means “protection diode” than “power diode”. (“power delivery” wouldn’t make much sense as a component designator and it’s also in the wrong location)

You’re probably fine without it, but without having the full schematics, it’s difficult to say. (The limited schematic Framework published doesn’t contain that component.)

Maybe make sure to properly ground yourself before touching anything in that area as a precaution.

2 Likes

I’m going to sound dumb…but putting it here anyway:
No [sane] manufacturer would include useless items in their products just to increase manufacturing cost and assembly complexity.

Worrying does’t solve anything. So no, you shouldn’t be worried. Instead, do something about it.

1 Like

While this is true - a lot of manufacturers (especially when running at limited scale) would much rather add a few extra (possibly unnecessary) decoupling capacitors or protection diodes than spend the time, resources, effort and possibly even a board iteration trying to validate that a design works to specification without them.

I’m an engineer at a very small company who makes small runs (usually <300 boards) of some large and quite complex designs. We rarely get the luxury of prototyping designs as we have to work to short deadlines and at the small production cost of a few extra components, it’s never worth it for us to attempt to save a few £s per board when it might cost ten or twenty hours of engineering time/rework to fix a noisy power supply after the board’s been made etc. I know that Framework is manufacturing at a very different scale - but I don’t think that they are yet big enough to have the resource to be muntzing to save a few pennies on each bill of materials. They’ll have gone for the low hanging fruit first.

In reality, short of reaching out to Framework and sending them your motherboard, there’s not much that you can do - if the board still works then just keep an eye on it.

3 Likes

We’re talking about two different things it seems:

1. All things on a board have a purpose. (me)
  2. There’s a process for component muntzing. (you) Still nothing is useless here.

…but you have a point: intended purpose is different from actual functional purpose.

Does that mean we did / didn’t get a quality product from Framework? I don’t know.

I don’t think any other users will be able to answer this for you. If you want an exact answer, you either have to wait to see if a Framework employee responds to this post, or send a message to support. If you choose to go with the latter, I and probably others on the forum would appreciate if you posted the response you get in case someone else accidentally knocks off the same part!

2 Likes

Wonder if it makes sense (or not) to have these PCB areas cover with the thin plastic sheet similar to other parts of the board. (If heat isn’t an issue for these areas)

I suppose I haven’t been in this forum long enough to make this statement, but I am beginning to think that Framework is treating this forum mostly in a “hands off” approach, meaning that this is almost strictly a USER forum and they either don’t have time or enough human resourses to keep track of posts here and interact with users in a more regular and “official” way.

This, in my opinion, is a pity; because, the way I see it, it would serve a valuable triple purpose of:

• helping users in need
  • building an extra source of information (saving on one-on-one support in the future)
  • forming a public opinion about the level of care and attention they give to their customers.

I have seen other companies open support tickets (available for status visualization) from inside the forum. Maybe this is something to consider for the future?
(by the way, this was a small/medium company, and the worker would “scrape” the forum once a week and no question would be left unanswered - even if some would take a little more time, depending on the complexity of the issue)

On the other hand, it is easy to see that Framework (and ALL it’s employees) must have their hands full at this particular time, so… :man_shrugging:t3:

As someone who’s been lurking around since the beginning, I can definitely say that while there is less interaction than there was in the beginning, I am still amazed by the amount of interaction on this forum from people like @nrp, @Kieran_Levin, @FrameworkBee, and the rest of the Framework team. All of them have their own jobs they do for the company, but they still get around to connecting with the community when they can, which is hard seeing how much it has grown in the past year.

I can barely keep up with all the new posts each day, (shout out to the community moderator team that does do a great job monitoring all the new posts coming in!) and I also don’t really interact with the subreddit or the discord, which I know that the Framework team is keeping tabs on. All this is to say that Framework is doing the best they can with the resources they have, and I have always appreciated the answers they are able to give here!

As a forum member who wears their “Regular” badge proudly, I try to alleviate as much of the stress from the Framework team as I can. If I can respond to a question I know the answer to, it gives them more time to find and answer the questions here that I can’t, as well as more time to keep doing their primary jobs at the company. I love every response I see from a Framework team member, because they always show that they care about the people buying their products, and they want us to enjoy being a part of something bigger than just owning a laptop.

sorry to @LRFLEW for getting very off-topic in this thread, but I really wanted to respond to this properly. I hope that the original question of this thread gets answered in some way or another, but I also want people newer to this forum to know that the team at Framework has always been willing to answer questions and help forum users, but that it’s really hard to keep up with a growing community like this one. I highly recommend checking Nirav’s user profile sometime (you can do so using the tag to him in this post) because you’ll get to see all the posts that he’s responded to on this forum and all the answers he’s given. You can also find him answering a bunch of questions on the subreddit (his account is cmonkey) and Bee has been very active on the discord. They’re all helping users in need, building up support resources, and at least for me, they’ve securely formed my opinion that they care so much about their customers, and will do everything they can to help us.

P.S. because I am answering all the points in @Aurelio’s post: @TheTwistgibber and other customer support reps are also active on the forum answering basic questions and encouraging users to submit support tickets. while they aren’t making the tickets themselves, I appreciate that they are letting the users do it themselves so that the users get experience submitting tickets instead of reinforcing the idea that you can just post on the forum and have support come looking for your issue instead of using official support channels.

I may be biased in that I really like Framework as a company, and I have seen the growing amount of people who have more negative feelings to the company, so please take what I say with as much salt as you would like, but at least know that I have seen a lot, and I have no reason to distrust or hate the way that the Framework team has acted so far, and I hope that they continue to respond as much as they can, while also working to keep improving the Framework ecosystem and community. Sorry for the essay, but this feels important for me to say.

4 Likes

PDO1 is a ESD protection diode for a signal on the battery connector. Even though it is missing it is unlikely you would damage your mainboard as long as you work on your laptop in an ESD safe environment, eg if you replace your battery ground yourself with a ESD wrist strap. I personally would not worry about this missing at all.
The Part is a CEST23NC24VU.

14 Likes

Thank you everybody for responding. Sorry it’s been a few days, but I kind of got busy after first making the post, and didn’t have time to respond to everybody.

That’s good to hear. If it’s related to the signaling with the battery, would that mean that missing the component would prevent the computer from seeing those signals? I’d assume not for a “protection” diode. I’d also assume that a protection diode would not have (much) current going through it under normal use, so having the spot open is safer than (say) shorting the gap.

Ok, I googled the part number, and the results I’m getting look like the larger, three connections (in the Y configuration) piece to the left of the part I was referring to. To be clear, I’m referring to the two connection piece directly left of the printed P, and directly above the two (identical to each other) smaller, but similar looking two connection components. I’m assuming that it’s all related to the same thing (ESD protection), but I would still appreciate clarification on that.

For clarity (and to catalog my stupidity), here is a picture of the damage:

@LRFLEW That part is not stuffed actually! So you have not damaged anything at all, or knocked any parts off your mainboard.
Have a super happy day!

8 Likes

@Azure Now you make me feel guilty for abandoning the forum for like 6 months and losing my own “Regular” badge :melting_face:

You mentioned wanting to help the mods and support staff, since I’m not able to do it, would you mind changing the title of the thread, adding [SOLVED] to the title? or @LRFLEW can since you are the OP

4 Likes