[SOLVED] If no response from tech support, this is a $2,000 boat anchor

I think you are right, but have no idea how to fix it.
Aren’t old people fun?..LOL

The guides I linked should give you all the information you need. DIY edition is intended for more technical users, so you may want to consider returning your DIY edition under the 30-day return policy and purchasing a pre-built Framework Laptop, which will have Windows pre-installed.

F12 is also not working, because no drives are listed.

That’s certainly odd behavior. Not even your internal SSD appears in the boot menu? If you don’t press F12, does it boot to Windows?

I actually have a BSU computer repair degree (1996) and am a retired database administrator (last done in 2000) but now am a lot older and things seem to have changed a lot.

Maybe if you could share what you see in the Boot menu (if the internal SSD appears there or not) and what happens if you don’t press F12 (does it boot to Windows?) we can help you further!

1 Like

You can mash F2 during startup from a shutdown which will allow you to enter the BIOS. From there, you can enable “Boot from USB” which should allow you to boot from a USB. Furthermore, you can select boot priority in another menu.

1 Like

It boots to the install, first language, then keyboard, then second keyboard, then wi-fi where I am stuck.

Under boot from usb I get options for items being attached and no matter what I select it goes straight to the ssd.

I am currently re-doing my boot thumb drive but am pretty sure that will not help me.
I need to reformat the ssd, but find no way to do that.

In the boot options, there should be a way to disable the SSD as an option. As for formatting the drive, in the Windows installer, there is an option to delete the partitions off an existing drive.

In boot options, do you mean in the bios? I am seeing nothing like that, but then this framework bios is completely foreign to me.
Like I said before- “It boots to the install- first language, then keyboard, then second keyboard, then wi-fi where I am stuck.” Nothing else.

At this point, the easiest thing to do is at the wifi section, press Shift + F10 (or Function + Shift + F10). You will see a command prompt window open. Then type “oobe\BypassNRO” and hit enter. The laptop will then restart and after entering the network page, it’ll then allow you to proceed without connecting to the internet. After setup is complete, run the driver bundle and you’ll have wifi.

3 Likes

Someone told me that earlier and it did nothing.
Tried it again now, still nothing.

Reread your message and realized that because it dropped down a line I didn’t see the fn+Shift. Now have cmd, but have a conference call right now so it will have to wait,lol

OK, got me past the Wi-Fi. THANK YOU very much.

6 Likes

All I have to add tho this is: Screw you windows for pulling this “non optional internet connection” bs

3 Likes

I’ll second that.

1 Like

Hi Alan,

I’m happy to hear that you were able to solve the issue.

Please let us know if you have any issues with the set up or any feedback about the process so far. It should be fairly easy once you follow the guides but we are always open to feedback to improve the documentation that we have!

That did it. Thanks. Just one glitch. The prompt window needs to be maximized to respond to typing.