[SOLVED] Windows 11 update just killed my computer. what to do?

Tomorrow morning if I get up early enough I will try this before I start my day. I appreciate the response!

1 Like

i had a look and boot repair is the program i used last time i had your problem, i am not 100% sure it will work as my grub error message was different but if you do see your files when booted into the live USB then install this program and follow the instructions of the help page. Best of luck

Just to set expectations, we do not provide official support for dual boot with windows for reasons like that experienced here.

That said, unofficially, you need to see if bitlocker is enabled on windows. If you do not know that means, disable bitlocker - Google Search

Hey all! I know it’s been a while but I solved this issue! In case anyone else runs across this same problem I want it to be on the books.

For those like me who are not super savvy, here’s what I did:

1. Make an Ubuntu installation media USB drive
  2. boot from this USB drive, selecting the “try Ubuntu” option once prompted to choose between trying and installing Ubuntu.
  3. open Terminal (ctrl + alt + T)
  4. type the commands listed below, and press enter to run each command one at a time. COntinue through prompts where neccesary. Will list them seperately here, for clarification:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade

sudo apt install -y boot-repair

boot-repair

At this point, the boot repair program scanned my computer, and I just clicked on the recommended repair option. It ran for a while and gave me an error about Secure boot. However, I shut down, removed the USB drive, and booted. The first boot entered a boot loop. But the second boot loaded my dual-boot OS selection screen, and booted my old Ubuntu installation normally! It’s back! yayyyyyy.

2 Likes

Nice, delighted to hear this worked out for you. On a personal note, I generally recommend disabling unused PPAs as they can create issues down the road. Keep the program, but be mindful of forgotten PPAs. :slight_smile:

1 Like