Speed test-WIFI

anyone else get super super slow wifi speeds? i have GIG granted you dont get it on wifi however my iphone will get 400 and i can barely get 20-30 on the laptop sitting next to the AP

If you are under Win10-- have you installed Beta of their drivers bundle?
If you are under the Linux – you have to install Intel Linux firmware instead of the stock one( for Ubuntu 21.04 – the stock firmware was a disaster from the performance perspective).
It’s definetly not that bad. But its drivers even for Win10 need improvement.
You can check my experiments here:

and here:

I have to admit the AX201 is faster than AX210 even for Win10. But the performance is definetly not that bad as you describe – for me it’s at least ~160-180MBPs dowload speed under Win10( and I have 300MBPs plan).

I’m getting this on Ubuntu 21.04 w/ stock driver.

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Comcast - Portland, OR (id = 1780)
        ISP: CenturyLink
    Latency:     6.16 ms   (1.13 ms jitter)
   Download:   222.68 Mbps (data used: 175.6 MB)                               
     Upload:   402.28 Mbps (data used: 389.8 MB)                               
Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/d752e94e-a2c9-461a-b1e9-c5ce0704edae

If you’re on Windows 10, one other test would be picking up Intel’s latest drivers for the AX210. Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters

This is something we’re evaluating to bring into an upcoming Framework Laptop Driver Bundle, as the current driver we have is a few releases old. From very limited testing we’ve done so far, it does seem to result in performance improvements.

One other thing to check is whether you’re connecting to a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz network, if your AP supports both. In Windows, you can use “netsh wlan show interfaces” in PowerShell to check.

1 Like

@nrp
I can confirm – today I’ve got Win10 Pro update and it looks like it has also updated something related to WiFi( either Win10 component, either Intel driver itself). Long story short, now my FrameWork’s AX210 has the same WiFi performance as AX201 on my HP Omen and it’s 2 times higher download speed than it used to be before the Win10( and/or Intel driver) update. Unfortunately, Ubuntu 21.04 with the latest( 02.21) Intel’s firmware is 2 times slower now with regards to WiFi performance than Win10 Pro installed on the same Frame.Work laptop.
I’ve mentioned this with speedtest under Ubuntu 21.04 thread: Ubuntu 21.04 on the Framework Laptop - #73 by KOSTYANTYN_RUKHLIS

2 Likes

Mine looks pretty good. Almost 400Mbps down using the Google speed test:

And the 1GB file on testfiledownload.com took about 1m 15s, right at their 120Mbps mark.

I just checked my router/wifi and it’s on a 5GHz - ac connection. The modem/wifi is an ISP supplied Zyxel C3000Z on a gigabit fiber connection

Well a big thanks to RandomUser, i did end up downloading the IDS and that seems to have fixed the problem. i did come across several other threads about the 210 and it seems that and i did confirm this. It has download issues only on 5ghz band and if you manually set to 2.4 preferred that you get normal speeds. I did update the intel drivers from the IDS and everything seems to be working alot faster now. im now getting 150+ So a big thanks to everyone who helped

3 Likes

Glad to hear that it’s working. I’ve added this to the knowledge base.

1 Like

Yikes. My connection has much suckage.

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Razzolink Inc - San Jose, CA (id = 24934)
        ISP: Comcast Cable
    Latency:    11.79 ms   (1.08 ms jitter)
   Download:    89.16 Mbps (data used: 98.2 MB )                               
     Upload:     5.89 Mbps (data used: 5.0 MB )                               
Packet Loss:     0.0%

Just my two cents…

If you have gigabyte internet and you’re not achieving close to gigabyte speeds on your client you may fall into one of the following issues:

• your ISP sucks and is lying (unlikely lol)
  • you have a hardware bottleneck somewhere (modem and/or router, possibly the troublesome client)
  • you have a software bottleneck somewhere (possibly a useful/useless feature enabled on your router)

That being said, there is definitely an issue with the Intel AX210 w/ vPro firmware on the *nix side ( can’t speak for any Microsoft products, never will )

Xfinity Comcast 1,200Mbps package (idr the upload)
Modem: Arris SB33 (I never used ISP supplied equipment)
Router: ASUS Rog Rapture GT6 AI Mesh (and yes this has a TON of usefull/useless software features that will immediately take half of the bandwidth in overhead)
From my Router

From my Client (Intel AX210 w/ vPro)

It starts off super fast, peaking ~900Mbps then drops off after a few seconds into the test. This is consistent with every single piece of Intel firmware I’ved used for this chipset.

Including a speedtest from my phone (Pixel 7P) to illustrate the speed to the clients.

From Chrome browser with mobile data turned off.

The only other client that experiences sub-gigabyte speeds on my network is the Playstation 5 and that’s because Sony throttles the connection :confused:

Purpose of this post, if you’re paying for a speeds and you’re not getting close to those speeds on the clients, you have a problem. My problem is the firmware from Intel for linux systems.