Star Citizen?

Yeah I just heard about that. I hope everyone over there is ok. I also typoed. Should be batch 17. Q3 now probably?

not enough ram. Do you have at least 16GB swap as well?

Not yet due an bug with btrfs and my swap subvolume.
But where does it say you need more than 16GB? the recommendation is 16…

Star Citizen uses at least 23GB of ram in my testing, it’s a hog. This is one of the reasons the recommend against an HDD, for incase you’re falling back to swap.

It will still allow you to run with 16GB, so it’s not the cause of your issue, but it will have stutters.

Yeah, I had to remove 16Gb of my ram on me desktop recently due to it going bad. Now SC complains about me having less than 8 available at launch all the time, lol. However, it still runs pretty good so…win?

Got it to start on 8GB RAM via swap file (very familiar with the process) but couldn’t maintain a stable framerate, like has been shared before. 32GB minimum, and I’d bet the R9 runs smoother than the R7. Might not be a big difference between the iGPU and dGPU on this SC patch, but next patch might be a different story.

Wasn’t there a special ssd for star citizen at one point XD?

1 Like

Yes, but the Framework is similar to the steam deck in that it dedicates some of that for the iGPU, so with 16GB installed you actually have less available than that. He’s got less than 16GB and no swap. I’m pretty sure that’s his problem.

I’m surprised anyone is going less than 32G on this high end laptop anyway. It’s definitely got the power to let you load up all that.

That would be Intel Optane. Good stuff, I bought some 2280 118GB sticks for dirt cheap a while back, still got them around somewhere…I hope.

Just regular optane? Thought they’d have done something more special.

Shame they shut that stuff down.

1 Like

Yeah, there used to be a promo that Star Citizen was bundled with purchasing Intel Optane. Not the Optane/NAND drives, pure Optane.

And I agree, of all the projects Intel killed to right the ship, Optane saddened me. PCIe 5 Optane would scream through benchmarks

1 Like

Agreed he’ll have performance issues, especially if he’s using iGPU rather than dGPU. The original issue posted seems to be a failure to launch so he hasn’t even had the opportunity to have performance issues yet.

I am suprised by that statement. I dont have any particular use case needing more than a few GB in my daily useage with the exception of starfield. In my experience i rarely needed it more than the stock pre-built FW16 offers. Even daily drove my GTX970 for the last 10 years without any problems. Basically bought it due being a laptop and 16" (13 is way too small for my likings)

But thanks for the infos. I will setup swap and test it again. If it’s doesnt work i dont care. Got plenty other things/games to do. It’s not a dealbreaker to don’t play the game. I only got it because of the promo and didnt planned to buy it anyway :slight_smile:
Thanks for the support!