[Suggestion] Laser Etch or Print the correct power supply Voltage and Amperage on Laptop Body

Just noticed while discussing power supplies with a junior that the Framework laptop doesn’t have any markings on the chassis that describe the correct voltage and amperage of power supply for the model.

Almost every other electronic device that requires an external power supply I’ve ever seen has it printed or etched somewhere. Not a huge deal but might be a good quality of life addition of it’s not too expensive to implement for future models/production runs.

Also don’t see any form of serial number/model number printed anywhere either. I don’t have any reason to RMA the device yet but might be nice to keep track of and have that data for inventory purposes.

2 Likes

Just checking on my Framework right now, the input voltage/current is printed under the top right Expansion Card slot when youre looking at the laptop upside down with hinge at the top. I’m pretty sure the serial number is under the slot next to this one.

9 Likes

Oh shit you’re right. I never saw that when I added the expansion cards. Well disregard then. Thanks

1 Like

So What does it say? My framework laptop arrives In 7 days and I want the right power supply to arrive before then.

This laptop charges with USB PD over USB-C so the voltage is variable depending on the wattage delivered. It’s negotiated between the power supply and the laptop based on the capabilities of the charger and the requirements of the laptop.

It says 20V 3A (that’s 60W) which is the Framework-supplied 60W power supply.

But it’s just USB PD power, there are a lot of these power supplies now with variable wattages and variable voltages. 15W is enough to (barely) maintain battery charge with the laptop operating but it will charge very slowly with the laptop off. 60W is the standard for this laptop. You can use 100W power supplies as well, 3A will be directed to the battery but there’s an extra 2A that the CPU can and will use in short bursts if required under heavy load.

For reference:

15W = 9V @ 1.67A
60W = 20V @ 3A
100W = 20V @ 5A

There are >100W power supplies, as long as they’re USB PD they will negotiate down to what the laptop requires. You’ll have extra thermal headroom too (i.e. the power supply will run cooler and less stressed) but these power supplies can be expensive.

Please note that 15V USB PD is disabled on the 11th gen Framework on BIOS 3.09/3.10, not seen word on if it is the same for the 12th gen.

8.Disable support for 14V-16V charging. This will cause 15V fixed supply sources to charge at the next lowest voltage, typically 12V. We always recommend using at least 60W adapters with your Laptop. See USB-PD 15V mode issue - #48 by Peetz0r

Link

1 Like

Good point. Edited.