Support for discrete cards (nvidia/AMD)

I also want to ask about the possibility of a discrete card. I don’t want to have to carry external gpu so are there any plans for a thicker version with GPU?

2 Likes

@FaultedBeing I had crashes with my ASRock NUC Box 1165-g7 + eGPU early on. In my case, the system stablized after I set the fan curve to be more aggressive in the bios
(System Auto → Auto w/ Target Temp 50C & Fan Target of 3) and updated thunderbolt drivers; you might try messing around with those to see if it helps.

Another thing is to try powering your machine off wall power vs eGPU PD, see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

That fan curve suggestion might be the reason constantly running a program like rocket league prevents crashes (although task manager (and another cpu temp software) never showed any high usage/temps at the time or crash :man_shrugging:t2:). I imagine there’s still a software element to help fix it, but I’ll try it in the meantime, thanks!

2 Likes

Personally i would like to see an mother board you can upgrade to with a dedicated graphics or a GPU internal card you can add.

4 Likes

Personally i would like to see an mother board you can upgrade to with a dedicated graphics or a GPU internal card you can add.

1 Like

@FaultedBeing

I used to have the same issue with crashing on both a Razer Blade Stealth 13 and a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, both with the i7-1065g7. I use a 2070 Super in my Razer Core X.

I was able to fix it by going into the NVIDIA Control Panel, then Manage 3D Settings, and then set “Power management mode” to “Prefer maxiumum performance”.

Afterwards, I stopped getting the periodic crashes on both laptops. I believe this should also work for the Framework Laptop, though I can’t say for certain since I don’t have my hands on one yet.

Let me know how this works!

12 Likes

For anyone testing eGPU, I would love to see how eGPU performance is when using the mobile display. I understand that when reviews first came out that the limitation on performance was mostly due to limited bandwidth on Thunderbolt 3 ports, but if this is truly USB 4 then I would expect the performance impact to be less than what was tested years ago.

1 Like

It sounds like there are a lot of people who are suggesting expansion enclosures off of thunderbolt. Products like One Stop System’s ExpressBox 3T-V3-eGPU.
While I think this could certainly work, I’m not sure that this is the most portable solution. Imagine lugging that thing to school or using that to play games on your train ride home. Not to mention, there are a lot of electrical differences between the mobile GPU’s that are created for laptops and their desktop counterparts including how they throttle their power while idle. It really sounds like the question still stands if the frame developers are going to include a X16 PCIE lane to incorporate a modular PCIE mobile GPU. Does Frame plan on introducing a model like this in the future?

3 Likes

@apprchngvnthrzn Your solution works! By changing that setting in Nvidia Control Panel, I haven’t had a crash yet. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

I would really like to see an option for an discrete dedicated GPU.

I do a lot of graphic design. I don’t need massive power like you might for gaming, but having a built in GPU does make a big difference.

3 Likes

What I’d love to see is an alternative, thicker shell with extra internal space such that they could launch a dedicated GPU that sits above the main board and is connected by one of the thunderbolt ports

It would reduce the amount of mainboards they’d have to release, allow choosing GPU and CPU separately and have room for a bigger battery better suited for a laptop with a dedicated GPU; heck it might even be possible to just put two of the same standard battery, and even use the space for the GPU to instead add yet another battery to build an ultra-long lasting charge laptop for those who work on the field

6 Likes

hey, does this mean I can maybe run a FirePro or Quadro graphics card for Solidworks?

@David_Hsu If you run it in an external gpu enclosure it should work. It is explicitly supported on my Razer Core X and I’m currently running the Razer Core X with the Framework laptop and a 2060 Super just fine

2 Likes

Here’s a cool idea for the devs, have a screw on base that adds maybe 5mm to the thickness while providing a discreet GPU connected to one of the USB-C connectors (if you’re old enough, imagine something like the original Sega CD.

2 Likes

Hi all!
I’m following Framework project for few months now and it’s very impressive!
I’ve decided to pop in and share some thoughts.

1. I’m looking for data ingestion laptop that is light and durable (and doesn’t cost Dell Rugged money)
  2. Unfortunately my major limitation is that my hardware needs Nvidia GPU.
  3. I currently own Dell Precision 7750 and I love it, but I’m not comfortable taking it to the mines, quarries and dirty workshops.
  4. I’d totally LOVE ANY Nvidia GPU (faster is of course better) in the current form factor. It could be an sandwich dock with extra battery for me, not necessarily classic eGPU.
  5. I’d love to be able to still power whole package via USB-PD.
2 Likes

honestly if framework had an option to have an amd/nvidia card would be great
(kinda want amd more bc opensource yk)

1 Like

Didn’t laptops have those card shaped modules for GPU’s?

You are referring to MXM I imagine. It’s a dying form factor, getting new generations of GPUs in that form factor would be difficult at best.

1 Like

Considering Framework is working with Intel, I would think it would be easier to get an Intel Arc A350M for this form factor though.

1 Like

“…getting new generations of GPUs in that form factor would be difficult at best.”

Ah yeah, Might’ve been MXM. It’s still worth it, no? With upcoming advances in connections like ‘Infinity Fabric’ for Heterogeneous Computing/MCM’s, CXL/Ucie, ccNUMA, DDR5 with ECC & Channel Interleaving, PEX/PLX Bifurcation, USB4.20/Thunderbolt 5, and changes to how the processing units themselves can work… Then surely that would be made easier instead of harder? Hell, Intel even made an L4 Cache at one point that helped with the graphics side of things.

But This isn’t me asking Framework to be some kind of CPU or iGPU Designer, rather to consider taking another look into the possibility of stuff like MXM for their next boards that would implement the future generations of CPU’s. We know how much current device manutfacturers drag their feet and make it harder with their locked down devices & walled gardens but Frameworks style towards things using Open-Standards & Being Right-To-Repair Friendly has turned the very notion that computing needs to be like this,.upside down.

Many apologies in advance for grammatical issues :sweat_smile: