Taking the Framework battery bank project into my own very incapable hands

I’ve got the money and the lack of common sense to try and hire someone on fiverr to design a PCB for the framework 13 battery.

Wish me luck but also tell me what you think my odds of success are…

2 Likes

I wish you luck. I myself am also crazy, I just don’t have the skills… Only the ideas. Example: 3 batteries from the framework marketplace in a single clip-on case you can put on the bottom of the fw16. You could put extra expansion card slots on the back and side of it too at that point.

I’m going to follow your progress for sure!

Battery charging/power circuits tend to be quite complex in the architecture, so you will get a reference design or a very high price. I’d also be worried about the thermals from the buck/boost regulator which the freelancer probably won’t handle/or ask you questions that you don’t know how to answer. Batteries even with their BMS can be dangerous if the charging circuit fails. There is a reason I haven’t made it myself and that is because I don’t want to deal with the liability of a battery blowing up and killing someone.

3 Likes

I’ve got one quote that is pretty expensive. Let me know if you’ve got any pointers on what I should request in the design.

Are you going to try and make expansion cards that charge the laptop and act as a power bank? Would be cool to have 3 of those since I don’t use the extra ports…

Definitely not. This is for the main battery.

Ahh ok, I’m not very tech literate but interested in battery improvements, so what you meant is increasing watts? Or how would you say it in laymans terms?

“There is a reason I haven’t made it myself and that is because I don’t want to deal with the liability of a battery blowing up and killing someone.” This is why I think FW themselves probably won’t ever release a case to turn the old battery into a powerbank.

2 Likes

I get that. I’m going into this knowing I’m taking on a risk. Wish me luck

A framework community member has offered to take on this project for the same sum I was quoted on fiverr.

Still waiting on a few other quotes.

Have you even defined specifications, eg ports, charging modes, form factor?

I just sent this response to one person willing to take on the job on fiverr…

Will your design be able to accommodate multiple ports (specifically USB A and USB C). Does your plan include considerations for charge mode? I’m okay with using one charge mode for the best mix of functionality and battery health/safety.