Tech reviews by professionals

Okay yes that would be nice but spend £500+ on a new rig to save how much in power/cost?

Plus you say swapping his PC cut his monthly electricity bill in half? Can you run through the maths on that? That’s pretty amazing.

He lives in a ‘trailer’ in Wisconsin, US. He paid around $100 a month for his electricity. His computer was an FX-8350 with 16GB DDR3 ram, a pair of GTX 970s in SLi, 4 spinning hard disks and a 2.5" ssd.

He replaced his board/cpu/cooler/ram: 2700x with 16GB DDR4 ram, and added a 1TB nvme ssd. Everything else was the same, and his electricity bill dropped to $50 a month.

he runs his computer 24/7 pretty much. He’s had it (2700x) 3 years now and says its more than paid for itself.

Yeah, still doesn’t add up for me.

The average monthly UK electric bill is £80 a month currently. So I would have to save £40 a month from just switching to Ryzen from a FX. Wow!!! Why isn’t the whole world doing this? Call Martin Lewis now!!! :wink: :smiley:

Running both setups (8350/2700X) with the same kit except switching the CPU and ram to DDR4 I put the details of the two rigs into power calculators and running the 8350 stock costs £60 a year. The 2700X £56 a year. The 8350 currently clocked how it is at the moment £55 a year.

You know…I’m just not going to get those massive savings am I.

I would say your friend is exaggerating a little.

He’s not given to exaggeration. He does, however, live alone and he has a very spartan life, so I think it’s entirely possible that a large proportion of his electricity use is his computer, and hence changing it to a more power efficient one made the difference it did.

it’s also possible that US electricity bills are structured differently to ours.

I’d say he’s being wildly mis-calculated by the power company. Or did he forget he fitted solar panels to his trailer? :joy:

A Ryzen is more power efficient than a FX but there is no way other than bending the laws of physics, swapping that one part (okay and MB and RAM) will magically cut my electric bills in half. I wish it could though. :thinking:

Modular and Repairable Framework Laptop Review

3 Likes

Now the UK national newspaper The Guardian gives five stars describing the Framework Laptop as ‘a marvel’.

The Guardian

5 Likes

That’s a really big deal. The Guardian is probably the most popular UK news source amongst the sort of person who would appreciate Framework’s values. I subscribe myself! I believe they have a strong US and Australia presence also.

2 Likes

It’s good to see GitHub’s Youtube channel talking about Framework Laptop Mainboard.

5 Likes

This new video was very fun. They introduced the Framework Laptop as well as other Linux-friendly laptops. You can check the chapters by clicking “SHOW MORE” on the description.

286: Linux Laptops Galore - Destination Linux - July 11, 2022

00:13:16 = Framework Laptop Specs

2 Likes

Replacing the Framework’s CPU made me a believer in upgradeable laptops
PC World

1 Like

The Framework Laptop was selected as the most repairable laptop. Yes. of course. :smiley: The Tweet.

The 9 Best Laptops of 2022 - The most repairable laptop - Reviews by Wirecutter - New York Times

2 Likes