The Keyboard

It makes sense how there would be no space for the full-size arrow keys. However, I do hope ‘the inverted T’ arrangement is reconsidered for a future iteration of the laptop.

5 Likes

An inverted T makes sense with full size keys, but in that particular case of the image you posted - there is absolutely no benefit to that layout. The only difference is that the layout on the right with the inverted T makes it much 50% harder to hit the side arrows.

3 Likes

Those empty spaces could be filled with the page up and page down keys. I believe that’s the standard on the thinkpad keyboards.

8 Likes

Hello, do you plan to open some kind of models of the keyboard to provide a basis to the community for creating custom keyboards ?

PS : Big-up, amazing project !

1 Like

I find the trackpad on my X1s (An X1C3 and C6 for work) to be excellent. I don’t need or want a drawing tablet under my palms - if I need a trackpad that big then I’ll exhaust myself (figuratively) just mousing around the screen.

I would prefer at least the option for a trackpoint, though, and I most certainly want physical buttons for the trackpad. I’ve grown to really appreciate them under the space bar on my X1Cs as it makes clicking and dragging substantially easier.

+1 to having page up and page down keys.

Thinkpads have something like 2/3 or 3/4 height keys in that cluster instead of 1/2 height, so the keyboard is not quite rectangular. I wish Framework had copied that idea for their keyboard. And copied how Thinkpads have a narrower horizontal pitch on the function key row so they can fit in home, end, and insert keys.

I went so far as gimping a mockup in this post.

6 Likes

Why aren’t the page up/down, home, end keys usually a secondary function of arrow keys?

In my mind that would be ideal placement for them as they do very similar functions.
Why have 4 separate keys located somewhere other end of the keyboard.

I don’t know if i have ever used such keyboard, but it would seem logical and intuitive.

Pg up/down as separate buttons above the arrows… I would say no to that… Smaller keys, higher chance hitting the wrong key.

2 Likes

First, I use them often enough that having to chord with the Fn key is quite inconvenient

Second, I use Shift+Home/End/PgUp/PgDn quite often. Having to do a three key chord (FN+Shift+key) is incredibly inconvenient and awkward.

I guess that answers it a bit for me as I never use them together with shift. Meaning I forget that they even have a secondary function. Thus yes, a third function under same key would be too much.

Will blank keyboards be available before batch 4 ships?

2 Likes

I regularly use CTRL-SHIFT-PAGEUP/DOWN in Excel to select multiple tabs. It helps that CTRL and SHIFT are right next to each other, but it’s still a bit awkward; combining it with FN may be a bridge too far for me. Not a dealbreaker, but I do really hope that aftermarket keyboards start showing up soon.

A trackpoint synergizes well with separate PAGEUP/PAGEDOWN keys, since it’s all about keeping your hands on the keyboard.

I find it very convenient when reading documents to have one hand on the arrow cluster and be able to page-up and page-down. Having to do Fn+Up and Fn+Down or whatever will require using two hands.

3 Likes

I just wanted to come in here, and share my thoughts on the keyboard now that I’ve been using it for over 3 weeks.

TL;DR: I love it.

I am not saying it is perfect or better than the UHK or Moonlander keyboards I have and use on my workstation. What I am saying is that I feel like they really put some thought and effort into this keyboard and it shows, er… feels.

With how easy it is to remap keys, things that a lot of people are complaining about here are non-issues for me. It is a laptop keyboard. There are going to be compromises. Look at Thinkpads. They had arguably the best keyboards on the market, until Lenovo bought them out, and started getting rid of them, for what can only be explained as a cost savings measure.

This is just to say, that designing a keyboard for a laptop is a balancing act. The more features/keys, the more expensive it is to manufacturer and repair.

I think this keyboard is BETTER than the X230 keyboard I have. It might even be better than the X220T keyboard I have. Seriously.

3 Likes

I used to think the same, but I’ve noticed that the shorted but solid travel of the Framework keyboard allows you to move your fingers faster. From a pure speed point of view the Framework wins.

But the Xx20 line is the last of the real Thinkpad keyboard line. It is really good, but no backlight, and a much further travel means that while I type comfortably on it, I can’t type faster on it than the Framework.

1 Like

THIS.
I’m also from Brazil, and the idea of Framework laptops is so compatible with the country of ‘Gambiarra’ and our culture to fix instead of buy a new one.

A portuguese ABNT-2 layout would be fantastic. I can’t wait for this.

1 Like

@nrp What kind of interface does the keyboard use as I would want to try to hack a track point in?

@arrowkeys Actually it makes NO sense how there would be no space for the full-size arrow keys

You just shave off the GIANT right shift key :slight_smile:

Though I really wish they could squeeze in the full layout with home/end/pgup/pgdn too. It’s possible on 14 inch as my Lenovo Yoga3 1470 has it and on that one there is plenty of space to spare, so this should fit just fine even if it would be a tight squeeze.
(the first column of keys on the left side could be shaved off a little to help accommodate this and they do not need to be full-width)

2 Likes

Some of us make more mistakes while touch typing on a keyboard with a shrunken right shift key.

Seriously, though. The fact that the Framework laptop has a keyboard with familiar key locations and sizes was a significant contributing factor in my decision to buy one. I liked most of the Razer Blade laptop features, but the old models with a short right shift were infuriating for me to type on. I also spent a day with a friend’s HP laptop that has a similar short shift layout and I just couldn’t get comfortable with it.

I’m perfectly OK with the arrow key arrangement if I still get a proper right shift.

4 Likes

And hey, if they get enough capital to start making expensive unique keyboard layouts for unique user cases, then that’d be awesome. Maybe they can work with some of the crazy custom keyboard companies for that kind of thing. Let’s see a $200 Moonlander top panel :stuck_out_tongue:
But until then, the default one is a pretty slick keyboard for me.

4 Likes

Another Colemak user here! Are the keycaps not replaceable at all? That’s what I have always done in my other devices, I just switch the caps around.

1 Like