The Keyboard

And hey, if they get enough capital to start making expensive unique keyboard layouts for unique user cases, then that’d be awesome. Maybe they can work with some of the crazy custom keyboard companies for that kind of thing. Let’s see a $200 Moonlander top panel :stuck_out_tongue:
But until then, the default one is a pretty slick keyboard for me.

4 Likes

Another Colemak user here! Are the keycaps not replaceable at all? That’s what I have always done in my other devices, I just switch the caps around.

1 Like

@RandomUser point being the right shift is blocking proper arrow keys. The left shift has another problem but it’s not a dealbreaker to me.
Specifically I use Swedish keyboard layout and the “swedish programmers key” doesn’t exist.
It sits between left shift and Z normally and contains the <|> keys however they easily remap to the 3 keys between M and right shift by using the RALT modifier (that’s how it is on my current laptop thanks to autohotkey)

The lack of real arrow keys is however a dealbreaker to me.

1 Like

@RandomUser that’s been the issue for a long time. everyone got the mindset of “monkey see, monkey do”. Even back in 2015 it was difficult to find a suitable laptop for what I do.

This is the AHK script I run to get around not having that extra key between left shift and Z:

<^>!,::Send <
<^>!.::Send >
<^>!-::Send |
Return

@RandomUser the model wasn’t sold in my country. I had to import one. Somehow the Korean version was the cheapest so yeah. That happened. I’m too reliant on the arrow keys to go full “macbook” though.

@RandomUser the decision is not mine, it’s just not practical to try remapping one or multiple arrow key(s). If I remap arrow up to also act as down, then remap right shift to be arrow up, i need to remap the right shift key somewhere else. it’s a domino effect.

I’d like to advocate for a blank keyboard, but in my case this is the layout i’d prefer:

keyboard

The large enter key on the right is the most important detail to me.

Now the right side win, menu, ctrl keys are almost never used and could be changed to be stuff like FN or an arrow key. The right side shift could be shrunk to fit in an up arrow key.
I also prefer full size arrow keys, and i’d want to have home, end, and delete.

Maybe something like what was posted above: The Keyboard - #63 by Firestar

This is what a full-size icelandic keyboard looks like http://kbdlayout.info/KBDIC/

2 Likes

Left-shifter here: you could get rid of right-shift entirely and it wouldn’t hurt my feelings. In fact I’d prefer it split with a function key on the right-half (like my ever-growing HHKB collection has).

3 Likes

You want the Blank ISO keyboard which they plan on offering at some point (“this year”) according to the FAQs on the DIY Customization page.

4 Likes

What I’m missing is an option to customize the backlit color. That would be great.

2 Likes

I can’t speak for everyone, but I think a keyboard is different from UI elements or other features you describe because it’s standard across machines (for the most part). It’s not uncommon for me to switch between 4-5 keyboards from different manufacturers attached to machines running different operating systems and I can still touch type on all of them.

This consistency makes differences like a shrunken shift key more than a minor annoyance because there’s a repeated readjustment period. I imagine this is even more of an issue for people who use a language/country specific keyboard with special symbols they type all the time.

I’m less concerned about keys I’d have to look at or feel around for anyway (fn and arrows come to mind) because that isn’t breaking my “flow”.

That said, there aren’t many “deal breakers” for me with keyboards if the rest of the machine makes up for it. Thankfully, the Framework laptop has a good keyboard for me and the rest of the machine matched my needs, too.

1 Like

Crystal clear keycaps + stickers = awesome

One thing I would LOVE to see is an external usb or bluetooth housing using the laptop keyboard. There are a number of external chiclet keyboard attempts but none come close to the ease of typing that almost every latptop I’ve ever used allows.

I’ve since settled for a keychron K7 with bananna keys to try to mimic the typing experience of my lenovo and dell laptops while using my desktop, but it’s still not quite the same.

Currently the only way I’ve seen this done is by hodgepodgeing a test board to the ribbon cable of the laptop board.

It would be so neat to see your keyboard get its own external chassis for this purpose.

6 Likes

Colemak layout user here. I would prefer a Colemak board but I have a good idea as well to allow people to change the arrangement of their keys to their preference.

Can we change the positions of the keycaps so that any alternate layouts can be attained?

If you can move the keys to their respective places, you deal with the dimples of the QWERTY (F and J) being in useless and annoying place. Plus, the t and n keys (the Colemak homing keys) are undimpled, and thus, preventing touch typing for Colemak (and many other layouts).

Solution 1.
Have a blank keyboard or any other layout and memorize your alternative layout and ignore the keyboard (not preferred when one handed typing is easier for mouse + keyboard work).
Solution 2.
Allow people to order key caps with and without dimples for the most keys (allows people to have their own personal layout, which may be essential for people with disabilities as well)
Solution 3.
Have more selection for alternative keyboard layouts (ie Dvorak, Colemak, Neo, workman are the main ones).

3 Likes

I’m really looking forward the moment French canadian is available. My old XPS 15 is starting to show its age. The frame.work laptop is everything I’m looking for (Specs, Ethics, price) except for the keyboard layout. Something like that would be perfect fro me (from XPS 13):

Can’t wait to “show off” to collegues and friends with this laptop :smiley:

Cheers,
Fred

2 Likes

Pretty neat! Enjoyed the deep dives into the design process and the effort to keep everything open for the consumers to learn from.

Technology has become closed, which is quite counter intuitive considering the reason we have what we do today comes from ideas and designs being open!

1 Like

LOOK. AT. THAT. GORGEOUS. BEZEL <3
When and where can we buy that?

I’m really looking forward to this being available in Europe, but one thing I think Framework could really do in future is offer more choice of keyboard arrangements.
Offering alternative top panels to support this would be great. I know for some people dedicated home/end/pgup/pgdn keys are essential, though I’m quite happy with Fn+arrow keys. I would love full side arrow keys if you could find room for them, preferably by taking a notch out of the bezel in front of the keyboard.
One think that has blighted European keyboards since the 1980s is the reduced left shift key to fig an extra key next to Z ("" in UK/Irish layouts). Has anyone actually asked users if this is where they want this key? Why shrink the shift key, but leave a giant caps lock key above it? I would much prefer a tiny caps lock and a full size shift key (this would also save me writing a full line of text not noticing I’d hit caps instead of A… at least I’d only have one character to go back and edit.
One last thing, If you do an Irish layout keyboard, I would buy it. The only difference from the UK layout is ÁÉÍÓÚ with AltGr on the vowel keys, and we all know where to find them, but if we could have the option to have them on the keycaps, I’d happily pay a little extra for them.

1 Like

awww man no more clicky keyboards where can I buy and exteral one?

If there’s timeline, could you let me know when we can choose Japanese keyboard?

1 Like