The Keyboard

@Ultionis It still is the case, Microsoft requires OEMs to use the Windows logo on the Windows/Super key.

2 Likes

I’ve got a GPD Pocket 2 with such an optical pointing device (in the top-right corner over the keyboard) and I love it. It’s not quite as convenient as a mouse, but because of the position I never hit it by accident and mess up my work.

That would probably ruin it for me, though, since I’d be likely to bump it by accident when typing, as I do with trackpads under the keyboard. Also, I think the necessary repeated swiping over it would be difficult/clumsy/uncomfortable with keys around it (and you might accidentally type when you were trying to move, as well as accidentally move when you were trying to type). So I’d prefer something above the keyboard.

Please please please put up a kickstarter or preorder for a keyboard with full size arrow keys, dedicated home/end/page keys, and the menu key. The only price for this is the smaller right shift. I will sell my soul for one of these on a new laptop. I will certainly put my money on a preorder so that you can judge if it’s worth making.

Yoga 2 Pro had one of these. Losing the menu key is such a pain. Losing dedicated home/end is just as bad.

16 Likes

Well, with minimal tweaks it is possible to get full sized arrow keys even on an existing layout.

It could look something like this (pardon my mad skillz in paint):

Of course we still lack dedicated home/end/pg keys but oh well. The only downside of such a layout is that it betrays our intuition on the position of the right shift key.

Still, such a layout already exists in the wild. For example, Lenovo V310 has similar design. And it took me quite a while to stop hitting up when I actually wanted right shift. But that’s a reasonable price to pay for proper (and much more frequent!) arrow keys.

Edit: On a second thought, technically it’s possible to leave the very same top cover that we already have and tweak only the keyboard part. It would require filling some extra space left from the original long shift key and that would not look as clean and aligned as dedicated cutouts, but it’s still doable. That way it would require keys to be slightly bigger and have placeholder parts much like it’s currently done with Enter and | \ keys that laid out differently depending on the standard, but that occupy the same cutout:

vs

3 Likes

Like @Korvin pointed out, including the full page navigation probably isn’t possible, since we’re limited by the cuts already in the top cover. Maybe someone could build an awesome extension card that sticks out on the right side of the laptop (but I’m not holding my breath!)

I am holding off on buying any of the cool keyboards in hopes they’ll release one with full-sized arrow keys. We’ll see on that.

Is there any sort of keyboard standardization? Is it possible to buy a keyboard designed for a different laptop and drop it in here? I wouldn’t even know what terminology to use.

1 Like

If you’re looking for an extension then maybe it would be more convenient for you just to buy a USB keypad.

For example something like this:

4 Likes

That is a neat keyboard extension.
Now I have a quandary, my daughter’s MacBook Air is Space Gray, and the FW is more Silver, one, or two?

Can we have a spreadsheet (or similar) posted (so as to be easy to find) which lists language-specific keyboards and which are not available and which will be or may be or may not be, or whatever?

I am interested in a Russian keyboard and would like to see the status of that. I do not mind reading some of the amazing commentary in the posts like this one, but it would just be nice to say “has anything been updated for the status of a keyboard for language X?”, “Nope”, “Ok, moving on.”

much thanx

2 Likes

To @feesh @Victor_Tay @dcdruck @J111 @thearctican and all the other QMK/ZMK keyboard enthusiasts out here: There is a way for you to do the same things you’re used to with QMK/ZMK in user space, without touching the firmware: kmonad. Check it out!

Kind Regards,
Maxim

5 Likes

A feature that I would like to see on the keyboard would be a small LED light to indicate that the Function Lock is engaged (similar to the CAPS Lock) indicator. I think it would be best on the “fn” key. Not sure if it would be possible to add this feature to new keyboards going forward without updating the mother board, but it would be a nice to have.

6 Likes

Yes, I agree - I always thought it was standard to have that! How else are you supposed to know what’s going to happen when you press a function key!?

2 Likes

this only applies to keyboards that toggle the fn key. Framework keyboards, and all others I’ve seen for that matter, don’t toggle the key. Therefore, the way you would know is if your finger was pushing the key down at that point in time.

I always thought a non-toggleable fn key was standard.

1 Like

@slickmann1 The functionality people are talking about is fn lock, which is activated using fn+esc on the Framework (and many other) laptops. Unlike most other laptops there is no indicator whether fn lock is active.

5 Likes

Riiigghhtt… fn lock… Yep, changed my mind, there should be a light. Still haven’t seen one on any other keyboard, though.

2 Likes

Still wanna know what firmware the keyboard is using. With the open-source nature of the company, I’m surprised they haven’t gone into specifics.

1 Like

The keyboard is controlled by the embedded controller firmware which is a fork of the Chromium EC. They published the source last month: GitHub - FrameworkComputer/EmbeddedController: Embedded Controller firmware for the Framework Laptop

4 Likes

Hi. Brand new guy here, and looking forward to eventually buying a Framework (when my current battery-removed Razer finally dies).

1. I routinely switch between 3 or even 4 languages. Has anyone at your company discussed the possibility of programmable key layouts in the future - to actually make the key light up with a different letter displayed? I get that this would be an engineering challenge, but it would be an instant buy for me, and I’m guessing there’s quite a lot of people working bilingually these days.

2. I really really miss having PgUp/Dn and numkeypad available on a laptop. Any chance of this becoming an option soon-ish?

Thank you for a great project, and I look forward to joining your customer base.

1 Like

Technically available as fn+arrow up/down

Yeah, and that’s what I use on my current Razer, but honestly I just fricking hate it. Two buttons used in combination instead of one in this particular case is just …not good.

1 Like

I’m a num-pad guy myself. I miss that being a more standard consideration for laptops, but I think those days are gone.

You could always grab something like this.

1 Like