The Keyboard

That’s a thought, but the challenge would probably be finding an off-the shelf module like that.

As a random internet denizen, I don’t know where to go get them bulk, but they shouldn’t be too hard to find wholesale.

I know some chinese “pocket pc’s”, i.e. GPD Pocket 2, use that module. (top right corner, to right of lighted power button)

https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Trackpad-for-BlackBerry/dp/B00CIY9PDO

2 Likes

Is it not possible that what Framework already uses for the fingerprint scanner might actually be possible to use for this same function?

I’m also a big fan of GPD, I have been using a Win 3 as a work computer until my Framework came in today. Several times I’ve been asked if I’m playing a video game at work though …

1 Like

@nrp hot-damn, I love this companies fresh approach to this field

Will I be able to swap out for a clear keyboard with my batch 5 order? I’m willing to wait a little if it comes to that.

Also, with backlight shine-through… is that strictly the keyboard backlight (which I’ll turn off), or will there be any other light potentially leaking through (such as status lights)?

2 Likes

I’ve already asked support about the blank keyboard. The answer is no, it won’t be available in time. I assume that’s the same for clear.

2 Likes

Has anybody used the Mokibo keyboard?

https://www.mokibo.com/

I did not end up getting one as both BT and wired or dongle connection are needed for my use cases.

Would be interesting to modify the f.w frame to carry one of these internally (magnetically secured but easily removable as need be).

Or better yet as the basis for a “type cover” for a future 2-in-1 chassis…

2 Likes

@D.H I think the overall concept is fantastic.

Did you try contacting support? If you ordered DIY, I have to imagine swapping isn’t a problem; if you ordered a prebuilt, you’ll probably have to switch it to DIY, and that may entail complications. You will probably get a faster reply from support than on the forum.

I am loving the concept, and will be looking to replace my thinkpad T450s within a year. The show stopper for me from ordering right now is the keyboard/mouse. I work in hospitals and care homes - usually for brand new builds and upgrades where I’m working in dark electrical rooms or communication closets with little lighting, limited space/working on the still crunchy construction floor. I need a backlit keyboard, and the trackpoint mouse. Moving my hand off the keyboard to move the mouse (either with a track pad or physical mouse crunching along on the debris on the floor because trades are not yet finished) in the dark reduces my effectiveness when doing it all day, trying to find home row again in the dark. This could be something I can get my IT department to implement for all our field engineers. When i’m in the office, I’m opening CAD / Visio drawings so a higher performance video option would further enhance the interest from my IT dept. I thought i’d absolutely need an ethernet port but if I had to pick between the trackpoint and backlit keyboard vs ethernet - I can use a dongle.
For personal use, I’d definitely want a gaming version…

2 Likes

@Marty_A at least it has you covered on the backlit keyboard front, from what I’ve read it’s bright enough and very visible in the dark

2 Likes

@Marty_A From personal experience the default backlit keyboard is very usable in a dark room: three levels of brightness, difference detectable in a room with indirect daylight let alone deliberately darkened.

Not much hope on the trackpoint, at least in the near-term. I tend to use my right thumb for mousing; it’s usually not doing much anyway. But that’s not as flexible as a trackpoint would be…

2 Likes

Echoing @rossic, @Walt_Leipold, @Firestar and others.

I’d love to see a 75% layout option:

Specifically, these features:

• Dedicated column for navigation keys (Home/End/PgUp/PgDn)
  • No half-height arrow keys

This layout was very common on laptops 10-15 years ago. Nowadays, it’s hard to find. This is what’s keeping me from upgrading my 2011 laptop, and it’s the last thing stopping me from buying a Framework laptop at this time.

I’d happily shell out $100+ to have this as a keyboard option.

24 Likes

+1

Just thought I’d see if there is a “QMK/programmable firmware-level” progress update?

Poke poke. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

QMK should NOT be the go-to. Yes. I think we all would love to have some customization of the keyboard at a hardware level. QMK is NOT the answer - it’s bloated and the reason it’s so prevalent in ‘custom’ keyboards is because they use general-purpose microcontrollers or SoCs with lots of memory and high clocks.

Maybe @nrp can chime in - do you mind sharing what microcontroller is used in the keyboard?

2 Likes

Having been using the laptop for a few days now, I definitely find the keys I use the most are up/down and page up/page down, which are the same two half-sized keys.

The way its built, you would need to provide a whole new cover kit to make it work (unless you’re willing to sacrifice some existing keys). I don’t expect to see that big of a change any time soon since they’ve standardized all the keyboards with the one cover kit. (And zero regrets about buying! This is me dreaming of my ideal customizations.) But if such a thing does release, I’m definitely buying.

3 Likes

I would also love this option. The layout in the picture is very close to the layout on my old 13.3" Sony Vaio SZ330, and I thought it worked really well.

8 Likes

How about swapping out the Windows Start button? I’d like to place a logo of the oeprating system (PopOS, or Ubuntu), or just even logo of the Framework itself.
Or is a sticker the way to go?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Even ss a Windows user, I’d be happy to see a generic “os” keycap. The Framework logo would be my goto option.

5 Likes

Not sure if this is the case still, but back in the day in order to pre-load windows and get the OEM price you had to have the windows key on the laptop. If you remove it you couldn’t pre-load the OS or use OEM copies.

For emphasis: I have no way of confirming if this is still the case. It was 10 years ago.

2 Likes