The League of Batch 6

Turns out it did arrive today! They just didn’t update when it went out on a truck.

And to be fair to Fedex, the shipping time was quite reasonable overall. Especially during holiday season. If I wasn’t so eager to get my Framework, none of that would have bothered me.

4 Likes

I chose the free expedited shipping as well. My laptop shipped on the 10th and was delivered on the 13th. It sucks to hear that everyone is having issues with FedEx, but my laptop was actually delivered a day before the estimated date.

2 Likes

So finally, after days of waiting, it finally arrived today (late). No signature was required, so when I opened the door, this was waiting for me:

I was pretty annoyed when I saw this. I was worried that the laptop was seriously damaged because of this, but luckily that doesn’t appear to be the case. There was some minor denting of the laptop’s box (which I am sad about, since I wanted to keep it), but I was able to successfully install Arch Linux on it, so it should be fine. I still need to spend some time with it getting it setup the way I want, but it seems to be all good so far.

I was thinking that the 4 “in transit” updates I was getting was the shipping truck doing donuts in the FedEx parking lot. Now I’m think it was actually given to a group of kindergartners along with wiffle bats and an endless supply of sugar.

8 Likes

I’m writing this on my new DIY Edition Framework!

Installed Arch without hassle. Had to disable secure boot in the BIOS, but other than that everything has been completely straight forward. Loving how simple it was to assemble, and the build quality.

I’m a little disappointed by the hinges, since they’re a little loose for my liking. As somebody who’s always used Thinkpads, I’m used to a very sturdy hinge. I understand that they wanted the laptop to be open-able with one hand. But Thinkpads aren’t, and that’s fine.

Overall, my main concern is the screen resolution. It’s too high to use 1x scaling. But too low to use 2x scaling. I have it set on 1.5x, which is fine for apps that properly support fractional scaling. But any app that uses Xwayland or doesn’t handle scaling properly ends up looking blurry. It would be nice if they offered an option for a 1080p screen.

2 Likes

Figured I should post this here. I live in Seoul, Korea, but I had my Framework shipped to my parents’ home in Texas. A friend who happens to be in the US now is taking it with him to Korea to give it to me. Hope the marketplace opens up to more regions soon.

3 Likes

Sucks to hear the issues concerning FedEx. But sadly nothing new.
For more customer satisfaction UPS, GLS and DHL would be options.
UPS had an overall satisfaction of 75%.
GLS and DHL each of 67%. *Source: bevh; BVOH; ParcelLab

But generally speaking, the whole CEP-Industry isn’t that customer orientated due to the high cost pressure.

What I ended up doing (Fedora 35 on i5 DIY) is setting my scaling to 100% and using gnome-tweaks to scale up my fonts about 150%. I’ve run into a few applications that don’t support that, but they just end up being small instead of blurry. Not sure if you’re using gnome as well, but scaling fonts is a good option.

2 Likes

Mine happened the same way. Though I have had issues with Fedex in the past on other shipments, they came through great on this one.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up going with 130% scale, and accepting that some applications are a little blurry. I was able to get Firefox to use Wayland by setting MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1

The main issue now is electron apps. Looks like electron has some wayland support at this point. It’s just going to take time for it to become stable and for applications like Discord to update.

3 Likes

Same. I think there are a few people who ordered back in November who may have not gotten their shipment yet? Or I just may be out of date… I’m really surprised at the delay with FexEx. I know it’s the busy season but I haven’t seen poor tracking status like this in awhile (not counting USPS).

I must have made some invisible cut off or something. I ordered on 12/2 and it was at my door on 12/6; I’m in Oregon. Not signature required, which is a FedEx issue, and it varies driver to drivers. The Ground drivers rarely ask and they try not to let you see them, Express will practically hunt you down.

Glad to hear that those who have been waiting a bit are finally seeing some progress.

3 Likes

@macropaige
I ordered Nov 26, and it shipped Dec 10. The shipping tracker said it was on a Fedex truck on my way to my home and its going to arrive 12/14/21 before 5:00 pm, but it didn’t. At midnight it changed Delivery status to “Pending” with “No scheduled delivery date available at this time.”

Kinda bummed, but I’m glad everyone is getting their laptops. Nice to see everyone enjoying it. I’m excited for mine.

1 Like

My delivery went missing for about a week, and was marked as “pending/no scheduled delivery date”. I contacted fedex by phone and made a support ticket, and contacted framework by email with my order number and the fedex ticket. The next day it magically appeared on my side of the country when it had been on the east coast before. Now it’s here and I’m setting it up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Given that the Batch 8 people are branding themselves as a Guild, I propose we rename ourselves to “The League of Batch 6”, for fear of becoming out-classed.

2 Likes

Love it. I was going to suggest “The Last Batch” but the website says there’s going to be batch 7.

1 Like

At this point, with all the delayed shipments, I’m going to suggest “Better Late Than Never”.

2 Likes

good news everyone. I received my framework laptop!

Ordered: Nov 26
Preparing to ship: Nov 26
Charged: Dec 2,
Shipped: Dec 10
Estimated Arrival: Dec 14
Arrival: Dec 16

So 3 weeks. Not bad at all considering there’s major supplychain issues in the world and I ordered it during the busiest time of the year and to Canada.

3 Likes

Did any of you guys receive a regular commercial invoice (with all the prices)? All I could find in my package was the packing list.

FedEx requested one so I saved the order confirmation as a pdf and that shut them up. It also incurred a extra 250 dollar charge as myus undervalued it.

Ordered: Dec 12
Shipping Soon/Charged: Dec 13
Shipped: Dec 15
Arrival: Dec 16

I’m very impressed that I got mine in less than a week! I installed Fedora 35 on it, and everything’s been working great out of the box. Set fractional scaling to 150%. The only thing that was a bit of a pain was installing the Wi-Fi card and getting the antenna wires routed properly, but it sounds like Framework has listened to user feedback about that and is now going to be selling the laptop with it pre-installed.

Specs:
Framework Laptop DIY Edition
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7
WiFi: Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 No vPro®
Storage: 500GB - WD_BLACK™ SN750 NVMe™
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
2 USB-C
1 USB-A
1 HDMI

1 Like

Turns out FedEx also stepped up the game - despite me checking the wrong option in myUS :slight_smile: The laptop was delivered today, only 17 days since order - and that includes also myUS handling. Unbelievable!
I’ve put the laptop together within 15 minutes, in parallel while on work call :slight_smile:
I love it, it’s quiet, sturdy, Ubuntu runs smoothly, wifi works, SSD is fast and big, but I still cannot believe I was opening the laptop and inserting HW before first turn on :slight_smile:
Thank you, Framework team!

2 Likes