The Power Adapter

Dell’s modern BIOS support a plethora of battery charge config. Other BIOS is quite restrictive.
There is a app you can install in windows to configure those settings, but you can always configure them inside bios directly.

1 Like

I’m not surprised there’s BIOS based options. Just thinking of something easier to implement. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope we do not support EPR on the current laptop. And it isn’t necessary anyways.

3 Likes

Will the charger run extremely hot under full load for extended periods? Will any component run extremely hot under full load?
I know that my Dell 45W can deliver 45W but about an hour later the overheat protection will kick in. It will be very warm at about 20W for extended periods (e.g., 16 hour).

1 Like

Has anyone tried using magsafe “clones” usb-c adapters, and does anyone know if they are safe to use?

An example is discussed in this article:

1 Like

Check out these threads:

1 Like

Any big advantages of the framework adapter over whats already out on the market? in terms of power/efficiency/speed. Is this a replace all your charges kinda thing?

I don’t know what’s on the market for comparison, so here is a different opinion.
It is a 65watt USB-C PD charger. It should charge anything that meets those specifications.

I have used it to charge my Note 20 Ultra, both fast and slow charging.
Also my Galaxy Tab 6 and older Samsung phones. It would charge a Samsung chrome book.

The benefit I see other the other chargers that I have is that this charger has a standard input plug for Mains current. So you can replace the supply cord, the output cord, also.
Since there is a cord to the wall socket, there is not a block potentially covering the other socket, or making difficult to use.

There are posts in the blog indicating that the Framework computer meets USB-C PD specs.
I have used a 20 watt charger, a 30 watt charger and a 45 watt charger with my computer.
The 20 watt would not be able to supply charge current and power the computer, but it will boost the charge when shut down.
The 30 watt boosted the charge slowly while in use.
45 and 65 were faster and fastest.

I think I remember seeing that they supported up to 100 watt USB-C PD chargers, so you could go even higher.

For the DIY bundles, the charger is optional, so as long as you have something compatible, you do not need to get it.

3 Likes

Good to know thank you so you guys think the internals can be upgraded on the framework power supply? Also wonder why 65 watts was chosen over 100

Like everything, a compromise.
Big enough to get the job done, smaller than most.
Charging speed is reasonably fast, limiting effects of charging on battery life.

If you are wondering if it can be disassembled and upgraded, then I would say not easily. It’s not designed to be easily disassembled like the laptop and it doesn’t have what most manufacturers would call “user serviceable parts” inside. I’m sure someone with electronics repair knowledge and experience could probably de-solder and replace components, but it wouldn’t be super simple.

There is also the potential for enough energy to be stored in capacitors to be dangerous. Not super likely to be a problem, but enough that companies don’t make most power supplies/power adapters easily serviceable. There is probably a bit of liability there. And while the risk is low, it is still real.

4 Likes

Do you know if it can power a splitter to power multiple devices at once?

I have one of these on order (was discounted over Black Friday / Cyber Monday weekend). Works great charging the framework from the strongest port solo, or in combo with other weaker ports. I haven’t maxed it out with all 4 ports yet.

Probably a lot better / easier / safer to buy a dedicated higher power or multi-port charging solution than to try to modify one…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09B3NXWNL/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_CRSJWCET7ASZRCVR3W12

1 Like

I’m loving this USB-C PD world where a single adapter can charge all my devices. The fragmentation in cable capabilities and protocols each device/port can support is a bit confusing for the uninitiated consumer, but overall adoption of the standards should reduce waste in the long run since we don’t need a different set of chargers and cables for each device.

2 Likes

There is a maximum rate at which most lithium batteries can be safely charged (for high performance batteries, equal to their capacity. for low performance batteries, half or a quarter of their capacity)
Say you have a 65WH laptop battery. Your maximum safe charging rate (assuming they are of high-performance type) is 65W (charged up in an hour). If they are the normal type, 32.5W (charge up in two hour).
Thus, the framework laptop won’t gain much benefit from a power source larger than the charging wattage + system power usage, which sums up to roughly 70W (absolute maximum). Aside from the power source running cooler (and slightly more efficient) because it’s not fully loaded.
A 90W will also be much more clunky.

65W would be the standard brick from almost anywhere. Lenovo, Dell, Asus, Acer, Apple … Exactly middle of the pack.
45W and 30W is on the low side (if they do support 20V mode)

It’s not designed to be serviced. The internals can have upwards of DC 400V (thus is very dangerous) and components are generally reliable enough that they will never break (unless overheating for very long extended periods).

That’s why Apple’s power bricks are the best – because just like their other devices, it’s very difficult to service but that’s the exact thing you don’t need to do. They also use more higher quality components.

If you are looking to charge multiple phones (5V splitter), I suppose it’s doable.
But, if you are asking if it can charge multiple laptops (or devices) with different voltage requirements, no.
The closest you can do is to plug in your laptop and plug your phone into the computer. The laptop will draw 65W (at 20V) from the power adapter and supply your phone with perhaps 18W at 9V 2A (or maybe the default 5V 1A).

If you need to charge multiple high-power devices, I think Anker and the like will have you covered pretty well.

Don’t recommend the Anker PowerPort Atom 3 60W, Didn’t even use it on a laptop, died after a few weeks of charging the battery pack it came with.
10 seconds out of warranty naturally.
0/10 longevity
0/10 Repairability
(moulded closed enclosure and packed with silicon goop)

2 Likes

There is a reason you are not supposed to repair any power supplies. Hundreds of volts awaits (for weeks)!

Although there are designs that don’t have a completely molded-shut enclosure. But they are usually designed so they are never supposed to be opened.

I never trust those “wall-wart” style ones as they need to be as small as possible to be a “wall wart” which means packing components very tightly together. Even with GaN heat buildup can be a problem (especially with 30W+ ones) which reduce the lifetime of components.
I will assume that when opened the inside smell like burnt plastic.

2 Likes

Yep, power supplies are dangerous. I’ve nearly killed myself multiple times on charged caps even though I discharged them with a bleed resistor.

2 Likes

Did you buy it and just not use it for a while? Warranty for chargers is 18 months for chargers and batteries.

I brought it with a battery pack, used the battery pack and always charged it by other means, it was only when I tried to use the mains adapter many months later I found out it was garbage.

(I don’t remember if I brought it from Amazon, but this was how it came)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-Charger-Delivery-Portable/dp/B07YKGQHG3/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=52925388853&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8vSOBhCkARIsAGdp6RR2yrnNM9xKsHrXnLs9wstNZEmpchcyO9KWJJ-DWFTuBEKIUV0AnMgaAtSeEALw_wcB&hvadid=259012932705&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006886&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17174357707031114188&hvtargid=kwd-317859077718&hydadcr=26216_1767503&keywords=anker+28000&qid=1641934463&sr=8-1