The Power Adapter

Yep, power supplies are dangerous. I’ve nearly killed myself multiple times on charged caps even though I discharged them with a bleed resistor.

2 Likes

Did you buy it and just not use it for a while? Warranty for chargers is 18 months for chargers and batteries.

I brought it with a battery pack, used the battery pack and always charged it by other means, it was only when I tried to use the mains adapter many months later I found out it was garbage.

(I don’t remember if I brought it from Amazon, but this was how it came)

This has probably been covered already, but I’m looking at an external USB-C monitor that can supply power at 45W. That will charge a little slower than the standard charger, but should otherwise be fine? I have two USB C ports on my Framework and an extra charger at the office. Could I use the charger to charge the laptop while still being connected to the monitor for video and data?

1 Like

No experience with an external monitor, but I have used a 45 watt Samsung Chromebook / cell phone charger successfully with my FW computer.

1 Like

@Mlaps, that should be fine. If you push your framework to its limits, it might need to use some battery every now and then. The other 99.999% of the time, it will charge the battery while you use it

I know docks that can supply power to the laptop. I have never seen any implementation on a display.

1 Like

Many desktop monitors with type-c ports will provide 45-90W of PD through their power supplies

To be fair. I actually have never looked for any monitor in particular. Square monitor from the yesteryear works just fine.

@Mlaps
I think I have what you are looking for.
https://www.dell.com/premier/us/en/rc1378895/#/systems/fs/dell-p2422he-monitor
I would assume the price isn’t exactly cheap, but it looks like a good monitor-with-a-hub.

I bought this one. Got it yesterday and it seems to be working well so far. No issues with charging.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07STYFWC5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s becoming a lot more common because lots laptops lack basic ports these days and monitors commonly have basic USB passthrough.

1 Like

(puts on tin-foil hat)
(laughs)
So not only do the laptop manufacturers screw us up by not providing barrel jacks so we have to buy new power supplies (from them), they also partnered with display manufacturers (often themselves) so they can continue to screw us up by charging extras for displays with hubs built-in
And then they can screw us up by charging us extra for dongles so you can adapt to the correct port when giving a presentation and further screw us up by charging for USB hubs/docks to connecting multiple things
This is such wonderful utopia.

Framework, while providing modular “built-in dongles”, is skirting along the edge of “too few ports”. But since they are all Thunderbolt4 ports (and they run out of lanes), I can accept that.

3 Likes

I wish I had a look at the post prior to purchase.
20% post consumer plastic? Great start! The design of the power adapter itself is also great, the dimensions for 60W is awesome and so is pairing up with somebody with experience.
But the choice of using IEC C5 cable is a failure to me. What is worth to design such a small form factor power adapter if the cable weight is more than the adapter? And for EU customers I mean this literally.

Frame.work power adapter is 113gr. vs. the cable 123gr.
Major contributors are the two bulky plugs on both sides, which you can’t get rid of. Yes you can reduce the cable length a bit, but hey it is only 1m to start with. Even if you remove all cable the

The way to go for with mobile devices and small form factor is 2-wire IEC-60320 C7/C8 Gerätestecker – Wikipedia and Europlug Europlug - Wikipedia and
Frame.work cable 1m: 123gr
Europlug cable 1,80m: 88 gr.
Europlug cable 50cm: 41 gr.

2 Likes

I actually quite like the fact that the power adaptor is properly grounded…it’s so rare nowadays to see an earth on them nowadays, I see it as a sign of quality.

7 Likes

The C5 cable is the standard laptop charging cable world wide.
Which means people can use their existing cables.
Also that’s probably what the manufacturer is tooled up to use.

It’s also possible to get direct wall adapters, to completely remove the cable if you’re that worried about weight.

I agree that I find the AC setup heavy and bulky. Defeats the purpose of getting an ultrabook setup. But I managed this by replacing the AC cord with a plug. It looks a little janky, but it works.

3 Likes

I ended up with a HyperJuice 66W GaN charger. Compact, light, fold-away plug, charges the laptop and a couple other devices. Perfect for my uses. It even comes with international adapters (EU, UK, AU).

I’ve been loving my Anker Nano 2 65W, it’s a really great single-port USB PD charger, and absolutely minuscule. I haven’t had a single problem finding space in my bag.
The official charger doesn’t have any secret sauce anyways (thank you Framework)

2 Likes

So, just to be correct here:

30W USB-C Apple MacBook Air 13 2019 MVFK2LL/A Adapter Charger

Will slowly charge the Framework with zero problems?

Tks

Yes. I have used the charger that came with the last Intel chipped MacBook Air, purchased in 2020.
It will run the computer and very slowly boost the charge.
I believe that’s the model you are asking about.

Currently, I mostly use a Samsung 45 watt charger, or Frame.work’s design.

1 Like