The software debate

If they ever release 4.0 we’ll have a native dark mode too!
Only another decade to wait I’m sure.

I’m going to say GOG Galaxy instead of Steam, because then I can have all my games under one app.
Firefox, LibreOffice, VLC, Davinci Resolve, GIMP, and ffmpeg are my other must haves

Man I wish that stuff worked on linux anywhere near as well as steam

I haven’t used it a whole lot, but Lutris is able to integrate a bunch of launchers (including Steam, Epic, Uplay and a few others) and also launch games from windows-exclusive launchers using Proton (or any custom wine setup) with a great number of customization features for individual game installs.

I’ve also heard of HeroLauncher which supposedly does the same thing, but I haven’t looked into it personally.

It might take some tinkering to get certain games running well. I wouldn’t expect Rockstar to make any attempt to make GTA run well in Proton, a product made by one of their competitors. Same goes for any non steam game.

I’ve only used Lutris to run Cyberpunk (as a non-steam game), which worked pretty well.

1 Like

The problem I see coming with Windows like systems, is the commercials intrusiveness.
Look at Youtube. You watch something and you get some dumb stupid advertising every 10 minutes. Under Windows 11 we are not far away from that.
I definitely do not want Windows stopping me in-game to show me a stupid advertisement.

Nah - It will be Linux only, and if games, probably through Steam or Steam-Os Partition.

1 Like

Yeah through lutris it kinda works which is nice, but nowhere near as well as steam.

Yeah cyberpunk is pretty much the only thing I have on gog, that one works through lutris just fine but it is still a lot less convenient than steam.

uBlock Origin is a must have

2 Likes

On systems with an SSD I like to install the manufacturer’s SSD support software. For Samsung SSDs it is Samsung Magician, for Western Digital it is WD Dashboard. It will allow you to update the firmware, show the SMART data etc. On Windows systems I like to install CrystalDiskInfo which will alert you to problems, overheating, etc. on SSD and hard disks.

I am NOT a power-user… But my daily drivers have all been Linux based (Mostly Mint) for several (20?) years. I still have a functional(?) 25yr old win7 box in the basement…used to use it once in a while. Now I haven’t turned it on in a few years…

One of the many things I love about Linux is that Firefox comes pre-loaded.
Other than that:
Thunderbird
VLC
LibreOffice
qBittorrent
Discord
Opera (In case I need an alternate browser for some reason)
Chromium (same as above)
A new add blocker (Have used AdBlockPlus for years but it seems less effective lately)

My daily driver has been limited by a 120G SSD lol, so now I can branch out a bit with a 2TB nvme! I have sifted through this thread and will try a few of your favorites:

Vivaldi (as an alternate)
Un-Googled Chromium? sounds good to me… (Says the guy with a Pixel6Pro)
uBlock Origin
Freetube
Mission Center

and sponsorblock. can’t live without those two on youtube.

That’s not a linux thing but a dristro thing, a lot of them do though.

1 Like

Thanks, After I wrote that I realized that I was speaking from limited experience… but failed to go back and change it. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Well the important bit is that linux distros don’t bundle edge XD

5 Likes

On mine I will install Windows 11 first and maybe later, if I find a suitable 2230 SSD, Zorin Os or Ubuntu, maybe Mint.

As must haves:
VLC
Steam
Gog galaxy
Firefox
Discord
Gimp
O&O Shutup10 (works for 11, too)
Portmaster
Bitdefender AV
Notepad++
7zip
Everything search
And whatever necessary to reverse the BS Microsoft changed from 10 to 11, like the centered Start Menu, context menu, etc.

Short term for testing stability and performance:
Furmark
3dmark
Prime 95
Cinebench 23/24
Hwinfo
Gpuz
Cpuz
Crystal disk mark and info
Dead pixel tester

And for its main purpose, controlling my telescope mount and camera and putting all images together:
VMware player
Virtual Windows XP for my old DSLR camera software
Stellarium
Ascom
Autostakkert
Siril
Deep sky stacker
Pipp
Registax

Second purpose is gaming, but I will have to evaluate, which games can be played with the iGPU until FW releases more powerful dGPUs, like 7800M/7900S.

And then I’ll be cursing, because the 1tb will be filled faster than I can say Pipp :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Oh, good to know that O&O ShutUp10 works on Win11 as well. I meant to look into that, but never got around to it! I suppose 10 & 11 are similar enough under the hood that I should have guessed as much.

Well, that’s not based on experience, but their own website:

1 Like

Oh! I must be a bit blind, I never noticed that their site outright said it! Thank you!

Excluding too-obvious choices, and being new to Gentoo,

• Mozilla VPN (supports Mozilla, and they use Mullvad)
  • Firefox (uBlock Origin, Tree Style Tabs, Tridactyl, Dark Reader, Firefox Multi-Account Containers, Firefox Translations, personal extension that removes website headers)
  • TOR Browser (when I want to identify crosswalks)
  • Vim
  • Python 3
  • JupyterLab (shortest path to charts)
  • Qt Creator (trying to mix QML with a Python venv)
  • GnuCash (double-entry accounting is fun. track your stupid stock purchases.)
  • Calibre (probably, though bare files and folders are compelling)
  • Easy Effects (on the FW 13, maybe not needed on the 16)
  • 1Password
  • virt-manager
  • LXC/LXD (probably, if it pans out)
  • Steam
  • GOG Galaxy running inside Bottles (not as good as Steam w/Proton, but not terrible)
  • OpenSnitch (haven’t tried it yet, but I love Little Snitch on macOS)
  • Either SELinux or AppArmor (one imagines)
  • Thunderbird probably (leaning toward Proton for email hosting though…)
  • KDE Connect (once I can get it working at least… IPv6 issues maybe)
  • ZFS (or BTRFS… debating the risk of eventually locking myself out of / with a fumbled kernel rebuild, vs. the ZFS preference)

As a bonus list, here are macOS programs and features I use, in case anybody has any good Linux advice.

• Acorn (I know GIMP exists, but… a nice, refined, basic subset of Photoshop / Paint.NET-esque program)
  • OmniFocus (probably going to switch to text files)
  • Little Snitch (maybe OpenSnitch, we’ll see…)
  • TurboTax Desktop (even though it’s basically as bad as a web page… I just need to do taxes manually, ffs)
  • Apple convenience: AirDrop, AirPlay, Universal Clipboard, Messages
  • SoundSource (per-app volume control and automatic gain adjustment)
  • dBpoweramp Music Converter (I still rip CDs, has an online service for comparing hashes)
  • MakeMKV
  • Dictionary (integrated with middle-clicking text)
  • Xcode
  • Reeder
  • Paprika Recipe Manager 3 (need a notes app… need to write my own notes app.)
  • Preview (with its excellent text rendering)
  • Apple Maps (actually good and not Google)
  • Safari (it’s not Firefox and it’s not Chrome)

Maybe look at https://www.freetaxusa.com/ next time. Cheap, works great, probably even if you have moderately complicated taxes. If it’s super complicated, IMO, you probably have the money to pay a CPA to deal with most of it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation. Maybe next year I’ll see if I can get over my severe hatred of the entire parasitic tax preparation industry and the modern web to give it a shot. A part of me thinks though – just filling out the forms – how hard could it be?

You seen this story? Facebook has been receiving users’ financial info from tax preparers - The Verge nothing but clowns, everywhere you look.

1 Like