The Upgradeable Mainboard

How long did it take to design the board? I’m eager to see an AMD or even ARM variation as Intel seems to be lagging behind

4 Likes

@Frosty that is amazing to know!! :open_mouth:

I only ask because, let’s just say I may or may not have landed onto a 17in Macbook Pro spare shell with a working screen and other components in it… I need to take measurements… but it would be such a fun project to fit that in there, and maybe even experiment an additional battery inside of some sort :open_mouth:

But again, it’s all hypothetical at this point hehe

2 Likes

Framework looks to be amazing, and i am waiting eagerly for the arrival in EU.

But! What are those silly Intel CPU options!? Intel is horrible. Did they bribe you with a too cheap offer you could not say no to?
Will you ever provide AMD Ryzen CPU’s? I bought a laptop 3-4 years ago with a 2500U Ryzen still going strong and able to play games. I am amazed by Ryzen and i will not touch Intel for a long long time due to how they have abused their monopoly. I suffered greatly through those years. Thank you for listening to my traumatic history.
I will not touch any of your products if i do not have the opportunity to choose AMD Ryzen CPU’s. Ill gladly pick a normal laptop providing that option instead.

3 Likes

@Rune As far as I know Intel was chosen for availability reasons and USB4/Thunderbolt support (although the latter is yet to be official). A Ryzen option in the future (once AMD has implemented USB4 support) is possible, as are ARM or even RISC-V CPUs.

9 Likes

@Rune my understanding is also that Intel has more resources (or something along those lines) that helps with designing and integrating Intel tech/cpus into products.

Personally, I would have liked an AMD cpu too (although I love thunderbolt and egpu), but the ability to upgrade the motherboard in the future really set any of my worries to rest. If I’m disappointed with the performance 3-4 years from now, I can always upgrade and not be stuck with an expensive decision to be made of buying a completely new laptop

3 Likes

I love how the motherboards are easy to remove and upgrade in the future… I hope in the future a socket CPU motherboard model comes to fruition in the future if Framework laptops kicks off well, which I hope they do <3

1 Like

@Jason_Hottelet @FaultedBeing Your arguement is valid, but i have chosen to not support Intel with any of my money for the reason being how they held back development and made shady marketing deals with other companies to suppress competition. So a Framwork laptop it will not be in my case sadly as my laptops tend to last 3+ years and i will be more than fine with a regular laptop with a wonderful AMD Ryzen CPU in it. I cannot express how amazing it feels to use one of those.
Thanks for your reply. I would however have loved to hear from a developer. If a developer do chose to reply, please do whole heartedly and honest. I am not interested in wasting my time reading a text from a marketing mind. Transparency or just be quiet for my sake.

4 Likes

That’s more or less how I feel. I wonder why ARM is possible but AMD isn’t if we’re concerned with PCIe lanes. I would 100% prefer a ryzen system, since it’s faster and is more efficient.

Oh well, I’ll wait for v2 i suppose

4 Likes

Nowhere has anyone said that AMD is impossible. It simply takes time and money to get and develop a processor + mainboard, and Intel has much, much higher supply/availability compared to AMD, while still being well suited for general computing, which is the ultimate purpose of an ultrabook. I’m also excited for an AMD version of this, but don’t forget how critical the simple logistics of getting chips is right now. The chip shortage is affecting everything, and the high demand and low supply for AMD silicon is only exacerbating that. Last year when the Asus G14 released and started getting rave reviews, I got curious about getting one - I couldn’t even find a store that didn’t have them fully sold out. That would be a death knell for a startup if their only product couldn’t get any chips for its manufacturing, and don’t forget that large manufacturers are all getting in on the fun now, and you can bet your bottom dollar that they can out-price Framework in terms of getting their processors in higher quantities and with faster timelines. Not saying I wouldn’t rather have an AMD chip in there, but I am certain Intel was the right pick for their first product.

10 Likes

@Frosty I mean, they haven’t said much about it though. I’ve seen RISCV, arm and future intel but I can’t find anything official about AMD. I could legit be missing something right under my nose though, could you point me in the right direction? Google just comes up with “and” instead of “AMD” for most results

You need to improve your Google-fu!!! Put “AMD” in quotations marks, like that. And I’d suggest using DuckDuckGo, which respects your privacy more. (I think Startpage.com is another good search engine, I haven’t been keeping up with them, though) Srsly, I have to assume many of the issues are a little too complex for you to really appreciate if you’re getting “and” when searching AMD. And be careful with confusing “ARM64” and “AMD64”.

1 Like

@Christopher_Daniels I’m still not seeing it though. Mind lending me your google-fu (or duck-fu) skills?

I briefly scrubbed through the video and couldn’t find it, but I seem to recall Norm asking about Ryzen here: Hands-On with Framework's Fully Modular Laptop! - YouTube

3 Likes

@jeshikat I appreciate you dropping that link. I’ll have to dig around through it, but thanks for helping out instead of insulting my google skills and talking down to me…

Seriously though, google framework AMD, you’ll get google panicking and dropping a lot of “and” lmao

2 Likes

Agreed there 100%. That perfectly hilights my issue with the discussion. It always seems that at a certain point the hyper vocal people always turn the conversation to rampant fanboyism - the old Team Blue vs Red arguments that always seem completely blind to any acknowledgement of the other “team’s” benefits. The fact of the matter is, unless you own a share in the company or they’re giving you your paycheck, it’s not looking out for your best interests, and the only possible benefit for consumers is competition between the two or disruptive technologies.

Long story short, yeah, I prefer AMD CPUs right now, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t pull shifty market tactics if/when they can get away with it. There shouldn’t be any illusion that they’re looking out for the average consumer. It’s just that Intel happens to be worse for that in recent years because their market share has been so massive that they’ve known they can get away with those tactics.

Edit: I just realized I totally misread the quoted part of your post, whoops. Leaving this up because it took too long to write on my phone, haha.

1 Like

@Zax I listened to the video in the background while I was working on something else so maybe I missed it again, but I didn’t notice anything about AMD.

And searching the forum and Google, I couldn’t find anything official about AMD. They are very clear the motherboard is designed to be upgradeable and are open to “future generations of x86” though.

Reading between the lines I’d say they aren’t willing to officially commit to producing AMD boards since availability is an issue for the foreseeable future to avoid the Osborne Effect.

@jeshikat I appreciate the look into it for me, it’s nice to know that I’m not crazy (or bad at google!).

I hope it’s what you describe, since the Osborne effect is reasonable. Otherwise I’d be convinced that it’s Intel cutting them some deals like with Dell back in the Pentium 4 days.

I really want to believe these guys are better than that, and I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, but some clarification from them would be fantastic

Really happy to see that you are considering Risc-V! The Framework laptop with Risc-V, open firmware and Linux would in my opinion truly be the ultimate laptop. Will be exciting to see what you will bring forth in the future!

5 Likes

AMD5000!
usb4.0!
please!

3 Likes

Now, I suppose Risc-V is more of a long term goal, however in the mean time it would great to see open firmware such as Coreboot and neutralization/disabling of the intel management engine.

3 Likes