Thunderbolt, yes or no or not jet?

@njf @FaultedBeing
Thanks for your answers, that helped me :smiley:
Greetings and have a nice day!

1 Like

@nrp is it that they do work but are not certified for the USB-C expansion cards and laptop. I think the community would be fine for it works but not fully at this moment since it is so new.

USB 4 is supposed to be almost duplicate of the TB4 standard so Thunderbolt 3&4 should work just need drivers.

Thunderbolt has a formal certification process that involves some pretty extensive testing (totally justified given the complexity). It’s basically that we have to chase down test fails one at a time and resolve them to pass certification.

9 Likes

And let us acknowledge the ‘economics’ of this: ‘Thunderbolt 4’ certification also requires a payment to Intel. So at this moment in time USB4 is a way to provide Thunderbolt 4 performance without the cost of Intel’s certification. USB 4: Everything We Know, Including Apple Support | Tom’s Hardware (tomshardware.com)

BTW: I hope Intel does the right thing and removes/reduces the certification ‘cost’ to help facilitate the widespread adoption of high-performance connection (Apple / Lightning → facepalm)

I have a Thunderbolt 3 Akito Node Pro eGPU hanging around that never seemed to work well with my XPS 13.

As soon as FedEx decides to deliver my laptop i’ll throw a card in it and do some quick tests locally under Linux.

I even have a NVIDIA Tesla K80 card which pushes the TB3 standard to the limits (huge PCIe bar)

If the above works, i’ll certify the laptop as 3 BoltThunder compatible. $20 USD is expected upon certification. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Oof. Things went poorly under ArchLinux with a recent 3.16.5 kernel. The system definitely has Thunderbolt capability out of the box. However, lots of hard lockups and issues expanding the PCIe bus to the eGPU.

Unclear if the issue is the Linux drivers or the Thunderbolt firmware. Windows might be better… but who runs windows?

2 Likes

Is anyone aware of an official Framework statement / update / response / follow-up to this?

3 Likes