TLP battery charge stop and start thresholds can't be set

I’m using a Framework laptop with Ubuntu Budgie 21.10. Having some difficulty at the moment setting TLP config to enable battery charge start and stop thresholds - I enter the details into /etc/tlp.conf and then run tlp start, but the following output comes from tlp-stat -b:

--- TLP 1.5.0 --------------------------------------------

+++ Battery Care
Plugin: generic
Supported features: none available

+++ Battery Status: BAT1
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/manufacturer                   = NVT
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/model_name                     = Framewo
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/cycle_count                    =      0 (or not supported)
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/charge_full_design             =   3572 [mAh]
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/charge_full                    =   3328 [mAh]
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/charge_now                     =   2662 [mAh]
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/current_now                    =    583 [mA]
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/status                         = Discharging

/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/charge_control_start_threshold = (not available) 
/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/charge_control_end_threshold   = (not available) 

Charge                                                      =   80.0 [%]
Capacity                                                    =   93.2 [%]

No matter what the values entered in the config file, nothing changes - and tlp setcharge results in this: Error: battery charge thresholds not available.

From the number of other posts in here where users are using TLP, it seems probable that this isn’t a question of incompatible hardware. What am I missing? Can anyone help me work this one out?

As far as I am aware, those values have not been exposed to the OS just yet. As of right now you can set the charging threshhold only from the BIOS options.

1 Like

Support for communicating with the Embedded Controller might not yet be implemented in TLP (or your version of the Linux kernel.)

In the BIOS I found an option to set the end threshold but not a start threshold.

I want the max charge to be 80% but it should start charging unless the current charge is >60%

1 Like