Too hot to handle and boot problems

The newest update of Rufus enables Secure Boot installs so that should not be a problem anymore (version 3.17 I believe)

1 Like

Just noting that as of February 2022, this is still an issue with the 2TB SSDs, and to confirm that updating the SSD firmware appears to fix the problem quite nicely.

2 Likes

Which one? I am using a 2TB Sabrent Rocket.

2 Likes

I got my DIY Framework last week (28th Feb 2022) with WD Black SN850 500GB, and had the same issue with no boot device found after waking from sleep. Just updated the SN850 firmware as advised above, waiting to see if it happens again.

@nrp I wonder if it’s worth including some kind of advisory in the box that tells users something like: “Some included hardware may not function properly without a firmware udpate, go to this website to find out if you’re affected and what to do about it if you are”. With the DIY edition, I was more inclined to think I had made an error during installation rather than the SSD needing a firmware update.

5 Likes

I think it’s a good idea. It is definitely worth having 1 main thread with list of issues with fixes in 1 place.

1 Like

Could also go a step further and include a program with the driver bundle or as a separate download, that checks the installed hardware and tells the user if there are advisories.

P.s. my Framework has been fine since updating the SN850 SSD firmware

3 Likes

Agree to include it in the driver bundle. Why?

Because the link given by nrp from Framework Team is no longer working as of 2022 March 18th. The linked program Western Digital SSD Dashboard is still available by 3rd party sites, likes this one:

But download critical firmware updating software, potentially security relevant, from 3rd party sites is a bad customer experience. Since framework only started delivering laptops 9 months ago, I am not angry about it. But it should change in the future. Just put in the driver bundle for the DIY edition.

1 Like

Hi all, I’ve just encountering this issue on one of our Frameworks purchased over a year ago. Hard drive is the 500 GB SN850 and we see the boot device missing error.

I’d love to update the SSD firmware, however I can’t get past the error screen. Every time we boot it comes to this. Time has passed (30 min?) and drive should be cool. I’ve even removed and reinserted the SSD. Could it be dead? All boot LEDs show green.

I should add the attempted boot process is slow. Though I can finally see USB boot media and select it the laptop the restarts and seems to freeze on the “Framework” boot screen before opening the USB boot media…

And the power button gets quite hot to touch immediately after trying to boot. Maybe there is more going on here. Would appreciate any ideas…

I would suggest you contact support. Framework’s support team is a class act and they’ll be able to help you.

2 Likes