Touchpad Spacer Modules?

Base part: Framework
These do nothing - what if they did something instead? Similar to how the touchpad can use the pins on the input module, I think some modules should be able to be on the bottom too.
Use case examples:

For the top part, there are a few options:

• Screw on the top part of a spacer
  • Route under larger modules that cover multiple spaces somehow

There is little space there is available inside the bottom spacers. You can see from the backside picture. The space is also quite thin.

What is hard to see is the padding. There is actually a ton of space, the the black part is all padding to keep it from flexing.

(Sorry, I don’t have my calipers with me)

It should be noted that the area the dime is in is where the part that locks it into place sits.

1 Like

Um, it’s a tiny amount of space.
I think you’d be hard-pressed to fit a Qi wireless charger, even talking about one just meant to charge a watch.
A front SD reader won’t work unless you redesign the mounting system.
RFID reader, maybe. Most use antennas much larger than the space available. I’ve seen some that are small, don’t know how well they work.

But is that tiny amount of space worth redesigning everything that would be needed?

I think it is possible to fit in the existing design if you do it cleverly enough. Particularly, the padding only is there to provide structural support. Using the space the padding takes up, I think it would be possible.

Dont quote me on that but i think i saw a similar post mentioning that there aren’t any connections on the case to connect the spacers to…
This should be verified first to avoid this big showstopper down the road

Ah, well, most of the modules cover the ones that they are not using. Hence why I mentioned the spacer modules, since they don’t actually need the connector anyway

There are no connectors underneath the touchpad spacers.

I am aware. From the original post:

• Screw on the top part of a spacer
  • Route under larger modules that cover multiple spaces somehow

are ways to connect it. Consider it similar to how the touchpad is connected.

A “simple” way would be to make a flat flex cable that uses one of the two USB connectors under the keyboard, or if I2C is preferred, then possibly one of the two unused touchpad connections. But both of those options assume that the ports are not disabled when not in use.

1 Like

True, thats something I do not know.

I’m curious about the i2C implementation for the touchpad. As noted elsewhere in the forums, a different touchpad layout would be very cool… like the thinkpad trackpoint, or even mouse buttons :smiley:

That is a tiny space to try to fit circuitry into. Sure it’s possible, but it would be pretty challenging to make anything useful that fits in that space.

2 Likes

I think a small (touch?) lcd screen should be doable, but the info currently available does not suffice as a starting point. Baffles for upward firing speakers should be no problem at all… imho the upward firing speakers themselves and tinkering with the midplate are the bigger issues here.

If you used phone speakers, i am about 99% sure thats possible. If you want REAL speakers, thats a bit harder…

Anything that sounds awesome while cherishing the given constraints goes.
Smartphone speakers were the only ones I could find being sold seperately, that stay within the size constraints. If you’ve got a better idea, let’s hear it. :wink:

An array of smartphone speakers, since they are small. We have area, but not depth.

Here’s another idea: a module that just integrates logitech or other wireless receivers into it

Idea: You can embed an Apple Find My / Android Find My Device 's internals where the rubber padding normally is.

Also trying to figure out how to add LoraWAN to my framework