Touchscreen? Or be able to swap in a touchscreen that fits

As I’m sure I’ve mentioned.

With my Gen 11 and 3.5Kg hinges it may not work well.

Apart from any bounce after a number of taps the screen may flop. :rofl:

I would have to be very careful with very light pressure on the touch.

You speak as though this were not a modular laptop and it were stuck with the same hinges you bought it with.

As much as I will be happy with basically any touch screen on a FW laptop, I would love to be able to convert it to one of the 360° hinges and use it in a tablet mode of sorts. I really liked my HP specter x360, and I almost bought another except I like Framework’s premise and wanted something more powerful (and am soft boycotting HP because of how much I hate my printer, but that’s off topic.)

Well that’s almost rude. I’m aware of the options and was an early UK adopter. The repairability and choices were clearly the draw, but I am not going to replace perfect usable hinges even if there was a touch screen.

If there becomes a viable touchscreen as a default setup then I’d buy a new laptop.

A spare laptop is a great investment a new pair of hinges would just be a waste, unless I meet someone who wants the 3.5.

Equally I’m not going to replace a perfectly usable screen just because a touchscreen becomes available.

It not the option that I can swap upgradable bits as that become available but that I can repair and in doing so, if an upgrade is available then it really could make sense.

I would love a touchscreen but I’m happy to wait or do without.

Take care.

EDIT:

Oh yeah! There’s no reason to think the ‘new’ hinges are going to resolve any problem that may become evident if I was to swap the display.

True, but I was hoping more that there will be more vendors that jump this train, and produce native alternatives to the components provided by Framework, but I guess this will take more time, and will probably require a bit different size of their potential market.

Yeah, I was about to look into investing myself if they did not make it so rigid for non-US citizens.

You’re right, it was rude and I owe you an apology. I’m sorry. I had just come over from a separate forum on Reddit on a completely different topic where conversation had been more feisty and I brought the tone with me, but that shouldn’t be an excuse. Thanks for calling me on my BS, because it was uncalled for.

Getting back on topic, I would definitely replace my screen if a touchscreen were available. Your point about it being an otherwise perfectly good screen is well taken; hopefully there would be some sort of way to repurpose it as a separate display, which would be super cool. I don’t know that I would expect that to be available as an option right away, but somebody might design one, ie cooler master or someone else. I have 3D printed enclosures and such for things before, so it would just be the electronics component of it that needs to get worked out. (Although obviously that’s the hard part!)

2 Likes