[TRACKING] Graphical corruption in Fedora 39 (AMD 3.03 BIOS)

I get the same white video blocks on BIOS versions 3.02 and 3.03. (My machine has 16GB RAM.)

For both versions, adding theamdgpu.sg_display=0 kernel param fixed it for me.

I enabled fedora-updates-testing with includepkgs=kernel* kernel-modules* linux-firmware* *-firmware to test 6.5.9. So far I haven’t gotten the artifacts to reproduce yet, although sometimes it takes a while. If it does I’ll try the sg_display=0 option.

For the sake of keeping these together, moving a couple of related posts here.

1 Like

Great question.

Been trying to replicate this myself to see if we need to file a bug. This is Fedora with external displays, correct? I have not had any issues (single display, internal) with distortion on resume. If this is in another thread (and I remember seeing this today), I can answer it there as well once I get the requested details.

This is Fedora 39 (Beta), no external display.
Default bios and OS configuration of Gnome (wayland) with no out of repo packages and a couple flatpaks installed.

To summarize, a series of i2c errors are reported, as well as a page fault in amdgpu.
It appears to happen on resume and not suspend.

I can put the log in chat, or email it to support depending on the preference.

Hi there!

I have graphical artifacts on my display from time to time. These occur when I open videos, start a game via Steam or sporadically from time to time. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Other than that, the system is stable.

I suppose it could be either the beta version of Fedora or the still very new drivers. At this point, I hope it can’t be a hardware defect.

Attached some pics from my issue.

Greetings
mopac

1 Like

If you have a lot of ram (64GB+), could it possibly be related to this issue?

Linux support for 64GB (Inclusive) and higher RAM capacities may cause white/blank screen issues with displays on some distributions with kernels below 6.5. Ubuntu OEM kernel oem-6.1-1021 and later has a backported workaround. For other distributions, please verify you are using 6.5 or utilize the following patch if you experience this issue:

3 Likes

I just have 32GB of RAM installed, but thanks for the hint!

Same artifacts here. It seems almost whenever display space changes (resolution change or display added/removed) they appear. Good thing KDE has such a robust session management, I have restarted it more in one day than in weeks before.

I also have 32Gigs of RAM, btw.

Using dmesg, I am seeing a lot of these messages:

amd_iommu_report_page_fault: 15159 callbacks suppressed

and

amdgpu 0000:c1:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0005 address=0xfffc32f0000 flags=0x0000]

with changing addresses.

Quickfix: add “amdgpu.sg_display=0” to your kernel command line (Source)

That introduces some other oddities but resolves this one (for me) :slight_smile:

Hi @F_Behrens thanks for the tip! It works for me as well :slight_smile: What oddities do you mean?

If you can capture logs I would recommend reporting this as an official bug / compatibility issue. No reason for a workaround when things should “just work” on a supported distro. It could signal a broader issue that may need to be fixed.

I had a similar issue but have not been able to reproduce. Happened to me waking from sleep.

Sitting here on mine, same BIOS, same release (Fedora 39 Workstation GNOME, fully updated today). Even on a fresh install I have not seen this. Feels like a hardware/connection issue.

Start with the following:

• Open up your laptop and try re-seating your display cable. Inspect it for damage as well.
  • If this does not help. Grab a new copy of Fedora 39 and boot from the Live USB, is it happening there?

I was going to open a new topic but this one seems closest to what I am seeing.

For me to reproduce, a resolution change has to occur (as per @F_Behrens). It most often reproduces when I wake the laptop from suspend as the lock screen is not using the same DM (I think?!) as the desktop session.

However this only seems to occur when I have an external monitor connected. So I am not sure whether that is a contributing factor.

I have two 1440p displays connected. One goes in via USB-C, the other monitor is connected to the first via daisy-chain.

1 Like

I see exactly the same on my external monitor (internal monitor sadly does not work). Fully updated Fedora 39 Beta. So far it only happened when starting games through Steam but otherwise I did not do a lot yet on that machine.

I think the problem will go away after moving to Fedora 39 stable. Think we can rely on that :slight_smile: However, the error also occurs without an external monitor.

Something similar is happening to my Ryzen Framework on Fedora 39 Silverblue.

What’s odd is that it doesn’t happen in xOrg, Wayland only.

While on Wayland, it only happens if I run my internal display at the native resolution. If I lower the resolution of the display, there are no graphical glitches.

This happens even after I added the kernel parameters mentioned by @F_Behrens

1 Like

I was experiencing this pretty consistently by launching a fullscreen 3d game from steam (elden ring, surprisingly runs quite well) at a lower resolution. Things seem to run fine, but after tabbing out, the white flickering appears. kernel log shows:

amdgpu 0000:c1:00.0: AMD-Vi: Event logged [IO_PAGE_FAULT domain=0x0005 address=(inconsistent) flags=0x0000]

I am running on bios 3.03 (hoped this wold have been fixed, but nope) and using Manjaro KDE, kernel 6.5.5-1 when this happens.

The good news is that using the LTS kernel (6.1.55-1) seems to fix it. I hope this helps somebody :slight_smile:

All, new BIOS update beta today - please update: AMD Ryzen 7040 Series BIOS 3.03 and Driver Bundle Beta

Just updated to bios 3.03. I’m seeing a different but still flickering effect on full screen games. I’m on kernel ver 6.5.6.

I do notice that this doesn’t happen on an external display though.

1 Like