[TRACKING] Graphical corruption in Fedora 39 (AMD 3.03 BIOS)

sorry I shouldā€™ve specifiedā€¦ itā€™s 3.03 to 3.03b

UMA_GAME_OPTIMIZED still set, without it the system is more prone to glitch

1 Like

Thanks. Weird that an EC only update, focused on power/charging, would change available memoryā€¦

I disabled UMA_GAME_OPTIMIZED today. Btw its called ā€œGamingā€ after 3.05.

I tried to trigger the corruption, like I did last timeā€¦ open many tabs running YouTube, Totem running 1080p video, and plugging and unplugging my usb-c dock with monitor connected.

I opened 30 tabs in the background and plug/unplug dock, close/open lid, on/off fractional scaling, open/close lid - didnā€™t trigger white graphical corruption.

I used mine whole day without any issue.

worth noting, Iā€™m on kernel 6.8, bios 3.05. no amdgpu.sg_display=0

4 Likes

So the setting for iGPU memory is as follow:
Auto: Allocate 512MB to FPU if system memory is below 64GB. else 2GB.
Gaming: Allocate 2GB to GPU if system memory is between 8-24GB. 4GB if system memory is 24GB and above.

Is 512MB enough for normal use?

2 Likes

When S/G is on absolutely it is. Once that 512 is exhausted the kernel driver will pull from GTT.

2 Likes

After more than a day of using it, I will fairly confidentially say that bios 3.05 (still in beta, officially) + kernel 6.8.x fixes all corruption problems!

No more restarts and workarounds :partying_face:

3 Likes

So we can turn scatter gather back on?

Uhu! Provided you update your bios, ofc.

Gotta try that at some point then.

Well looks like a in to me, just ran the cyberpunk benchmark with sg on and on igpu memory auto and it ran fine with none of the artifacts that needed turning off sg.

Iā€™ll leave it on for now.

Has someone tried to reproduce this issue using beta BIOS 3.05 ?

What about the multi-monitor video surface corruption? (appears as windows become polarized/black white) when moving between eDP and external monitors etc?

1 Like

Has someone tried to reproduce this issue using beta BIOS 3.05 ?

Yeah, you liked the post where I said I did. As said, I canā€™t reproduce with BIOS 3.05 (beta).

What about ā€¦ when moving between eDP and external monitors etc?

Iā€™m not entirely sure we are talking about the same thing, but while just using/unplugging an external monitor would, before, often trigger the graphical glitches of the sort described in this thread, this has still never happened for me on beta 3.05 (going on 3-4 days now).

1 Like

It was possibly a variation ; but unlike the case where the external became completely whited out and unusable until a reboot. It was observable when you dragged a window half between the eDP and external DP monitor.

If looked like colour surface related to my uneducated eyes. But otherwise didnā€™t result in an unusable external display.

I was only able to observe this running Plasma6 (Nobara and Fedora 40) and various 6.8 and 6.9 kernels.

1 Like

@Rijnder_Wever
Do you also not see anymore in dmesg logs :

[199821.668560] [drm:mes_v11_0_submit_pkt_and_poll_completion.constprop.0 [amdgpu]] *ERROR* MES failed to response msg=14
[199821.668715] [drm:amdgpu_mes_reg_write_reg_wait [amdgpu]] *ERROR* failed to reg_write_reg_wait

Could you also tell us your kernel version please for future reference ?

While this is on gnome/wayland, I did have issues with external displays prior to this bios. I attributed it to the scatter/gather issues weā€™ve been seeing.

Using 6.8.4-300.fc40.x86_64 and 3.05b I can reliably use my external monitor which exposes a usb4 connection with displayport.

Is there anything that you do specifically that could provoke the behavior?

Coolermaster gp27u.

@Mario_Limonciello would you have any idea what fixed the issue in the latest bios release, was there an AMD AGESA bump ?

Correct.

2 Likes

updated to 3.05 today too, and removed also the amdgpu kernel parameter.
currently everything runs fine so far :3

4 Likes

Here to report the same as R1ck

4 Likes