[TRACKING] Hard freezing on Fedora 36 with the new 12th gen system

:wave: Hey all, Iā€™ve upgraded my Framework to Fedora 38 (beta) which uses kernel 6.2.8 as of today and removed the psr=0 patch. Been running for a day or so now and havenā€™t hit a single freeze. Rock solid beta too, which should be generally available next month.

Notes

• Looks like kernel 6.2.x is available for Fedora 37 as well now.
  • dnf5 is faster downloading and installing updates. :running_man:
3 Likes

Please do keep up updated. I have been doing some testing as well (similar results). I appreciate you chiming in with this report. Itā€™s very helpful and appreciated. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not a framework user, but just wanted to thank you all for having the best info on this problem. Like how ArchWiki is one of the better resources for all distros :grinning:

I use a S76 gazelle (12th gen cpu) and this problem manifests on my side as the screen tinting red, freezing, and flickering, which is pretty terrifying. Setting psr=0 seems to have helped a great deal in terms of frequency.

2 Likes

I still get the glitches on 6.2.8 on xubuntu, so I donā€™t think there is any magic fix there.
The glitches are unpredictable for me. I can go weeks without having any normally, and other times Iā€™ll get them more or less continuously for an hour or so a few times a day.

I canā€™t pin it down to a particular usage pattern or software, because I usually use the same software all the time, and sometimes have no problem and sometimes do. It doesnā€™t do much good to say I had firefox and thunderbird open, when they are always open all day every day. Other stuff like geany (lightweight IDE), freecad, openscad, kicad, those are not all day every day, but they are frequent enough that they still cover both good days and bad days about the same. I run xubuntu so one thing that might matter is that means Iā€™m all X no wayland, and no kde or gnome so no plasma or other fancy crap like that. It doesnā€™t seem to be assosciated with load or heat either.

But Iā€™m getting off the point: I donā€™t think 6.2.8 matters. Even if you donā€™t have a problem for the next month, I routinely have no problem for that long, going through all kinds of kernel versions over the last year, and I just had a glitchy day the other day on 6.2.8.

1 Like

@Brian_White Yeah I havenā€™t had any crashes on OpenSUSE TW with KDE for about a week now, but I know better than to call this issue resolved yet lol.

Have you tried the fix documented in the edit of the original post here? GPU HANG: ecode 9:1:85dffffb while using PCSX2, Minecraft and probably MANY other OpenGL applications (#4858) Ā· Issues Ā· drm / intel Ā· GitLab

This has been my experience too. Long periods of success using my laptop/workstation, building up confidence that some salient issues have been addressed, and then some dramatic failure happens; setting me way backā€¦sigh.

I just had a such a failure, moments ago, on 6.2.8-200.fc37.x86_64. Note: I had no psr or max_cstate boot params. Usually, when a new kernel is applied, I give it an honest try booting w/o any params, with my fingers crossed.

I do seem to have acceptable stability with boot param: intel_idle.max_cstate=2 and no enable_psr=0. Having both params, maybe improves my situation slightly, but no firm evidence on that, yet. NOTE: been following this thread for long time; seems I am a little unique on getting some relief with boot param intel_idle.max_cstate.

The new AMD mainboard is looking incredibly tempting right nowā€¦ Iā€™m guessing AMDā€™s integrated graphics do not have any issues like this.

While I havenā€™t been super busy with this laptop recently, have been doing the occasional browsing and updating. Have not hit a single issue on Fedora 38 with kernel 6.2.x without the psr=0 modification. :relieved:

3 Likes

Thank you for this!

Yes, we want to test Fedora 38 without any psr=0 additions on 6.2 kernel.

Experience random freezes, last couple of months, using arch linux with latest updates.
I have read this whole thread and I have set ā€œoptions i915 enable_psr=0ā€ - still getting freezes almost every day. Laptop ThinkPad L390 ( udated to latest firmware as well ).
Here is full log from the last freeze: dmesg - Pastebin.com

1 Like

Canā€™t help much with your ThinkPad, but we appreciate the comparison.

Hello! This will be my first time posting, but I had to relay how I have gotten past this issue. I have the 12th Gen Intel running Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on 3.06 Bios.

Everythingā€™s been great for several weeks and then all of a sudden my screen began to freeze and go black for several seconds at a time while scrolling through images for work OR switching work-spaces.

Itā€™s been occurring more and more lately while Iā€™ve been processing photos for work. After struggling with the freezes for 3-4 hours today I decided to use Ubuntu Cleaner with all options ticked. For the last hour Iā€™ve had ZERO freezing or black screens. Maybe itā€™s a cache issue, or old kernel. Whatever the case, Iā€™m currently in the clear.

All that said, Iā€™m incredibly new to Linux in general and donā€™t truly know what Iā€™m talking about.

2 Likes

Hello @tyco_holloway,
welcome to the forums! :slight_smile:
Interesting tip you have for ubuntu install with similar hard freezing issue, thank you.
by the way, did you install deb via PPA?

1 Like

@Loell_Framework I did not. I believe the only ppa install I have is plank, so far.

I am starting to get concerned that my issue is from a failing ssd vs the core issue in this thread. I noticed my freezing is slowly returning after working in XNview for a few hours today. :sob:

hi @tyco_holloway , one way to isolate if itā€™s SSD failure is to run live usb for awhile and see if freezes happens there as well, but then perhaps it could be just XNview?

Ok, I gotta get in on this. Iā€™ll upgrade mine here in a minute and abuse it. I mean, the issue is supposedly fixed upstream, soā€¦ :slight_smile:

Edit: Upgraded to 38 beta, all kernel options removed. I have the laptop sitting here with 30,000 fish in the webglsamples.org aquarium. The fan is going full blast, and the fish are swimming along at 60 fps. :slight_smile:

Heya! @Loell_Framework , I went ahead and hopped distros to Fedora 38 beta. Iā€™m on a clean install but Iā€™ll be saving every log after every install or upgrade. If the freezing issue pops back up I should be able to nail down the culprit more easily.

Thank you for being helpful. I no longer think itā€™s a ssd failure. HOPEFULLY XNView isnā€™t causing me these problems as itā€™s my primary application for my job. :crossed_fingers:

What issue exactly are you referring to that should be fixed upstream? As far as I know, there are still open bug reports relating to i915 freezes

OpenSUSE TW KDE (no kernel modifications) update:
Havenā€™t had any i915 problems so far, using all the same apps. I have, however had kwin resets where I get a short freeze (1-2 seconds) and then all my windows are gone. The journalctl log messages are seemingly non-existent, just something about kwin_wayland dumping core and then complaining that wayland seems to have died.

I think OpenSUSE just isnā€™t great for laptops so I will go ahead and try the Fedora 38 Beta, but yeah it seems maybe something in the latest kernel actually might have improved the i915 GPU HANG situation. Iā€™ll see how Fedora goes :stuck_out_tongue:

After about an hour of stress testing the same apps on Fedora 38 Beta (no kernel boot command modifications), already got a GPU HANG from i915 (hint:intel_atomic_commit_ready), same as usual. However, this time, after about 10 seconds it actually recovered! Didnā€™t have to restart my laptop.

One thing I will note is that during the hour without problems I was using the balanced power profile, and I got the hang like 10 minutes after setting it to the performance profile. That really makes me think of this report

so Iā€™m going to try its solution out and see how it goes.

1 Like