[RESOLVED] Kernel 6.4 hang at boot TPM Bug Confirmed

Appreciate all the helpful details. Can we get a summary of each distro and release affected? I want to see if this affects Arch only or other distros as well. Please reply with:

Kernel:
Distro:
Release (rolling releases like Arch just respond with Arch again):

Kernel: 6.4.0 - 6.4.3
Distro: Arch
Release: Arch

1 Like

Kernel: 6.4.4
Distro: arch
Release (rolling releases like Arch just respond with Arch again): arch

I can confirm kernel 6.4.4 fixes the issue

1 Like

Kernel: 6.4.2
Distro: Gentoo

I found success with this solution. Disabling the IMA kernel option and rebuilding solved the problem (.config diff).

1 Like

Kernel: 6.4.4-200.fc38.x86_64
Distro: Fedora
Release: 38 (KDE Plasma)

I can’t boot the above kernel without the tpm_tis.interrupts=0 argument even though it’s 6.4.4.

I have a Framework Laptop 13 12th gen i7-1260p on BIOS 3.0.4.

2 Likes

Kernel: 6.4.4.-200.fc38x86_64
Release: 38 (Workstation)

Had to tadd the tpm_tls.interrupts=0 argument to get it to boot. This was not broken previously. This is with a 12th gen I7-1260p with BIOS 3.06.

2 Likes

The fixing patches for framework laptop got cherry picked for Arch 6.4.4.
The patches for Framework laptop are part of the official kernel 6.4.5:

3 Likes

Confirming fedora 38 6.4.4 is broken and that adding tpm_tis.interrupts=0 to the kernel args via grubby fixed it

1 Like

My FWL 13 with the Intel Core i5-1240p just got the 6.4.4 update on Fedora (KDE spin) and won’t boot that kernel. I could temporarily disable TPM but my system dual-boots with Windows 11 which I use for college so I’d rather only do it as a last resort. Hopefully it gets fixed in a later kernel release. Thankfully GRUB makes it easy to boot into earlier kernels.

You can use tpm_tis.interrupts=0 kernel boot parameter to fix it without disabling TPM in BIOS.

Updated my Fedora 38 Workstation install to 6.4.4-200 and was getting a hang at boot on my 12th gen i5 FW, disabled TPM for the time being since I’ve only ever run Fedora. I have an external SSD with Windows 11 for client work and it works fine.

Added the tpm_tis.interrupts=0 via grubby worked for me also.

1 Like

Is anyone else finding this is helping for 6.4.4 on Fedora 38?

1 Like

Just started up my Framework 12th gen i7, running Fedora Linux 38. It’s hanging on startup, all I see is the Framework logo on black screen. After shutting down and restarting I get a kernel chooser list with 4 Fedora Linux options plus the UEFI settings. The first two kernel options are for 6.4.4-200.fc38.x86_64 38 (Workspace Edition) and 6.3.12-200.fc38.x86_64 38 (Workspace Edition). Neither of these starts the OS. The third option is 6.3.11-200.fc38.x86_64 38 (Workspace Edition). This one loads the OS as normal, but when I restart the laptop tries to load 6.4.4-200 again and fails, so I have to go through the whole process again.

Is this a fixable thing? I can’t see any talk about problems with 6.3.12 or 6.4.4 but I’ve tried this quite a few times now and it reliably fails.

Any thoughts or advice?

Please try this from the terminal and reboot:

sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args=“tpm_tis.interrupts=0”

1 Like

Merging to the existing thread. (done)

Many thanks @Matt_Hartley. I’m afraid that didn’t improve the situation but I see now that it’s a biggie so I’ll await developments.

Kernel: 6.4.4.-200.fc38x86_64
Release: 38 Workstation
Framework: i5-1240p

Had the same bootproblems, but “sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args=“tpm_tis.interrupts=0”” solved it for me!

2 Likes

This should work for anyone single booting Fedora.

Anyone else replying, I need:

Kernel:
Distro:
Release (rolling releases like Arch just respond with Arch again):

Super helpful if you could share the needed details mentioned above. Appreciate it - helps us with tracking this down.