Viability of an ML 1220 rechargable battery for RTC | CMOS (11th gen)

It could be Framework scraping along the edge of compliance (of components. voltages, etc) and when Intel ships chips with silicon bug things start to go south.

I still however think it’s a duff battery.

Could well be and maybe no so difficult to assess :slight_smile:

1. Buy a new ML 1220
  2. Replace the original and charge for 24 hours
  3. Properly switch of laptop, even battery via BIOS maybe
  4. Leave for a week or [4 or 5 dyas] and see if it switches on
  5. Repeat 3. and 4. and see how long it take before you have to plug in the main power to get the laptop up and running.

Now I won’t be testing as I use the laptop multiple times a day, most often kept in sleep with power attached. Night is always hibernate.

However for those who are having problems after a week or two or three, as they don’t seem to be using the laptop very much then this may not be too much of a bind.

All the best for you testers.

1 Like

This is becoming quite the unintended ‘feature’:
You better use the Framework Laptop everyday, or we’ll give you hell.

Force product adoption. LoL.

2 Likes

The biggest thing I am worried about is 8 days without response to my support ticket and no transparency from @nrp or anyone else from framework on what is going to happen next.

I’d be more willing to be patient and give trust if there was communication and commitment to make it right for their backers and customers. Unfortunately, it has been radio silent. This is a very bad omen.

I can’t comment on why Support has not responded as I have no idea, but you might have better results if you tag the Support or Framework-employed moderators (not the volunteer moderators) rather than the CEO.

Surely the ‘proper’ way is to contact support directly not via the forum at all ??

1 Like

Of course. However, sometimes (not just with Framework) it can help to get assistance for an open request via other means. I believe that the support queue is based to some extent on last-received message, which can make repeated queries counterproductive - within reason. After several working days absent a response it’s normal to wonder what’s going on. I say that in general - for any given ticket it may be clear that one party feels the matter is at an end or at a clear pause pending additional investigation, but the other party may hold a different opinion.

1 Like

I did this because so far every support ticket just points to nrp’s post which doesn’t actually help anyone experiencing the issue. Nrp pointed us to support, support points back to or quotes nrp’s post. Neither are actually helping resolve the issue.

Nrp posted here but I had more questions that didn’t get answered. Support finally replied to my ticket and just quoted nrp’s post again. There is zero real concern around this within framework. It seems like they are showing they aren’t going to stand behind their product to ensure investors and backers are kept whole. I’m so disappointed. Other than Valve’s Steam Deck, there hasn’t been a technology offering I’ve been this excited for and this big a cheerleader for in a very long time. I really wanted this to go well but framework is really killing any faith I had.

This thread has been going for so long that I think many people have lost perspective on Framework’s openness, and I want to put some things into a clearer perspective, especially for people who haven’t seen this issue on their own devices as they don’t seem as invested in the topic even if they follow it daily.

This thread was very active for almost a week with several people claiming to have similar issues, and that Support was not following up on open tickets about said similar issues.

The founder made one non-committal post about how Framework suggested this

He also spoke of how they thought there was a possibility of charging the RTC battery from the main battery with a firmware update they don’t know if they can do.

The major issue of the processor going into a bad state probably won’t happen on the second gen boards due to the fact that the bug is part of the 11th gen Intel processors, and the second gen boards are moving to Intel’s 12th gen processors.

Then a week goes by with more people chiming in about support telling them the only thing they could do if they weren’t satisfied with the product is sell the laptop.

There have also been some people chiming in on how Support pointed to the founder’s note which points back to them.

Throughout this time, there has not, to my knowledge, been any further response on the forums from Framework, despite multiple questions being posed about functionality, and how they planned to proceed.

I can imagine that they would need a week to discuss internally about how to proceed, but Support’s responses are definitely troubling, and this is no way for a company to be “helping” people with things that are not well known or common behaviors in the industry.

Yes, I expect to get some flak for putting my opinions here.
Yes, I expect people to say I’m overreacting.
No, I don’t care, because I just want Framework to actually take responsibility for issues they have created.

3 Likes

As above this topic has got a bit long in the tooth, though still valid points are made.

However @d_p post above seems to only address the response they have as unsatisfactory, which has support form others.

The issue in this topic is that repeated complaints are of no use to resolving the issue of the short ‘no under use’ scenario that can occur.

Many people may not every have such a problem.

So if the issue has become one of complainig about Framework and feedback it may be more usefull to open another topic ~ my reasoning being I hijacked this Topis with the OPs OK and ammended the title.

My idea was to get data on users so I could better write to Framework with my concerns.

I had no intention of writting to Framework via the forum but privately to get authorative data. Some of that is in this topic thanks to others queries to support.

So I ask other please do not extend this topic into a complaint legend about the lack of or failure of Framework to respond, but please do provide details of your experience with the laptop.

Support replied and told me they will not fix the issue and that is “final” and advised me again to sell the machine.

After referring several of my colleagues to framework, I will now be actively doing the opposite.

2 Likes

Hi

It’s a new product, as is the Fairphone. I would not encourage people to buy without letting them know of some of the problems I have or those alledged on the forums.

But as in the case of the Fairphone if you want to support Fairtrade in mining etc. then the Fairphone is the only way to go. They got fair trade gold on the market, so I can live with a less that magic phone.

Like wise, it would have been nice to know about the CMOS battery and co-incident Intel gen 11 bug.

It’s the intel buf that is really the problem, having to remove the ML 1220 etc.

Maybe they can be held responsible or did they tell all the manufacturers that were going to use them.

Lines of thought are never straight and the truth is only true when accompanied by lies.

That sucks…

So much for having that post from nrp. Disappointed that you had to do the runaround…and that’s the final outcome.

1 Like

Framework…The Unrepairable Reparable laptop!

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Let the social media backlash begin… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hi Jason

I’m still gathering info.

Do you find the laptop unusable due to the ML 1220 discharging quickly and what is your user situation that provokes that.

I’m using mine daily and hopefully will never encounter such a problem.

Basically I use my workstation for 99% of my work. So my Framework sits in my laptop bag (usually 80% charge) for sometimes 3 days or over a week before I use it.

Now before my 12 year old Dell E6410 (I used it as a “I don’t care about this old thing” laptop) would fire up even if I left it for a month or more. Never had to think about it on 2010 tech.

As far as I’m concerned I just want that basic usability with my Framework. Not having to diary in 24 hour charge periods and pre-job boot checks.

At the end of the day I may just try and live with it. But I won’t be recommending Framework going forward. Had Framework said “Yes we have found this to be an issue and we confirm we will be working on a firmware update or fix to mitigate this!” I would be more on board. The firmware fix etc. may not have worked but it would have been nice to see more confidence and affirmative action from Framework till we got to that point.

Instead, reading between the lines it feels like “Oh sh*t, they have found that bug we knew about months ago and now want us to fix it! Trouble is we are now fully committed to getting the 12th gen stuff out! This is the last thing we need so downplay it and hope they go away!”

I still think there are other things they could do rather than just fob us off. I’m just waiting for the fix to appear as “Well if you purchase a new £700 12th gen board the issue is fixed!”

Yes I can can’t/won’t be replicating that anytime soon and ‘over a week’ ~ I would expect from specs that 10 days shouldn’t be an issue.

On the Dell front - let’s not go there. I have 20 year old 4150 with original battery and it switches on with a warning - etc. time error and so on. Not really a problem.

I am thinking of a fix which I will present to Framework, before I suggest it here as it’s just theoretical and I don’t want to try it as I have no problem yet.

So there is a fix :slight_smile:

I mean, could it be possible that folks who are having this problem often are just dealing with a rechargeable battery that has drained too many times and for too long and just doesn’t have anywhere close to its factory capacity? In this case getting a new battery should do the trick.

I really get how this is frustrating to folks who just want their laptop to work.

I do think Framework is doing the best they can. On the one hand they designed a product based on Intel’s spec sheets, and now find that there is an Intel bug which exacerbates one of their design decisions. It isn’t fair to Framework, but this is the situation.

I would ask those of you who are not frustrated beyond your threshold to remember the bigger picture. At least give Framework a chance to address the problem by sending you a new battery or mainboard (where warranted).

To reiterate, the 2 framework laptops I have to do not have this problem. I do use mine kind of regularly though.

10 Likes

My apologies in advance for only skimming, and not thoroughly reading all 210 posts here, but…

Would it be feasible for an end user to switch in a non-rechargeable coin cell into the OEM holder? If so, what are the exact makes and model numbers that are compatible? If not, why not?

Thanks
DH

I would imagine that the charging circuitry would try to charge the non-rechargeable battery, which could cause a lot of problems.

1 Like