Viability of an ML 1220 rechargable battery for RTC | CMOS (11th gen)

Physical constraints

ok. so not enough room. What’s the most room (a.k.a.) battery that can fit inside?
(yeah I should really get myself one immediately)

ML1220, nothing larger will fit.

that’s actually quite tiny. Although I think my previous Dell also use that (and have displayed absolutely no issues)

Maybe battery supplier issues?
(You would think that’s more prominent, since if it is a design flaw this issue would have surfaced immediately after launch, not a few months after)

Issues lie with Intel and oversights on Framework’s side that they could not predict.

@d_p my framework is my personal laptop and I use my work laptop much more frequently – usually only running the framework when I take it somewhere on weekends, etc. It’s running Manjaro Linux (with sometimes Windows 11 in VirtualBox but then I always feel dirty!). It’s a Batch 3 i7-1165.

I’m certain I haven’t run my Framework in 4 weeks (because I haven’t used it since I was sick with Covid) and I just powered it up. It hasn’t been plugged in since the time I used it before the last time I used it. Main battery is @ 62% and it started up without any drama. I didn’t notice any problem with the time – although it might’ve reset the time automatically already if it was out. But I definitely didn’t need to open it up to turn it on.

I do feel bad for those of you that are having a serious problem and I really do wish you luck sorting it out with Framework. In my experience they really are interested in making things right so hopefully this is just snafu on the support/communication and you’ll get the attention you need soon.

6 Likes

Do you recall whether you had to plug in the USB-C/PD to power it on after not using it for weeks? i.e. Assuming the laptop was completely unplugged all this time.

Not having to open it up means one thing: You didn’t run into the Intel silicon bug…that time.

1 Like

Hey @Richard_Lees, that’s great! Just like @Second_Coming said, I have to plug into AC even if mine is at 60%+ internal battery and because Windows is my native OS, the clock must be set manually.

the board is also designed for a rechargeable battery and will attempt to recharge whatever is connected to that connector, I don’t think a non-rechargeable battery would like that.

Yeah battery go boom!

As I mentioned before, some kind of adapter goes in the battery socket which leads to a larger battery that’s wired to it. That or can the boards be retrofitted to just take power for this from the main battery?

@Peter_Schofield @Jason_Dagless

the ML 2032 is rechargeable that’s the ML code
the CR 2032 is the non-rechargeable option

But the 2032 is too big for the holder so you would have work on that which would no doubt screw any warranty you have.

The numbers are a give away as they denote the size

20mm wide by 3.2mm thick or (2032)
12mm wide by 2.0mm thick (1220) though it’s actually 12.5mm wide

Note also if you use the 2032 which has 13⅓ times the capacity it will take longer to charge it possibly depending upon what the motherboard offers

Well hoping for a fix or something that at least alleviates the issue somewhat.

Fingers crossed and all that! Let’s hope Framework let us know if they have any ideas soon.

1 Like

To add to what @Richard_Lees @Senhara and @2disbetter are saying, I have never had a problem with the RTC battery going low and requiring me to open up the laptop.

The longest it’s ever been off the charger is approximately 2 weeks. With the OS shut down, the battery dropped maybe 5-10% in that time. It started up fine and I put it on the charger.

When I put the OS in standby, after 2 days, the battery was completely depleted. I put it on the charger and it started as normal.

So it bears repeating that this issue does not affect everybody.

…and no, Framework doesn’t pay me, I’m not a paid shill.

9 Likes

The time I was just describing (4 weeks not used and not plugged in) I pulled it out of my bag and turned it on - didn’t plug it in. No power on problem and no RTC problem that I noticed.

I guess that’s the main point I was trying to make about this issue – all units might have a fundamental problem with being off for an extended time but there is definitely some variation in how long the laptop needs to be unused before there is a problem, and the people who are having a serious problem if they leave it unused for only a few days are definitely not indicative of everyone’s experience.

5 Likes

During some of my earlier testing when I started seeing the issue, I had actually measured the voltage when the laptop was off and not plugged in, off and plugged in, on and plugged in, and when it was on and not plugged in. I believe the laptop also charges the RTC battery while just being turned on, so that may not be a conclusive test.

In all the posts I’ve seen where people have the issue, they describe leaving the laptop without using it, so it seems like just not charging it for a month, while it would drain the RTC battery voltage some, if you use it for an hour or so during that time, it may not drain to the same levels.

Could this even be due to quality variations of the RTC batteries?

I never had any problems with mine, but I preventively exchanged it with another one I ordered online as a spare because it was slightly bulged right from the beginning.
The spare battery instead was completely plain to my eyes.

1 Like

Yes quite possibly some are a bit duff. They don’t have that long a shelf life and I wouldn’t dismiss the idea that some where a year old. I don’t see a date stamp on them ??

After dealing with this issue for a couple of days now (and going back and forth with support), I’m glad to have found this thread. It seems odd to me that so many people are popping up with this issue at the same time, while having support say my “RTC battery was not the issue”.

1 Like

did you get a fix? what did they say was the issue?

1 Like

@Sven_Hiller where exactly did you get your extra battery? I’m finding ML1220s difficult to find at all, but willing to try this.